The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
exdrocca

Getting a headache while driving.

I got to take the truck for a good drive this weekend. I noticed I was getting a slight headache. I'm thinking there might be some obnoxious fumes getting in the cab. I don't have an exhaust leak that I can hear. It doesn't smell like coolant. The exhaust exits in front of the rear tires. I'm sure I'm burning a bit of oil, and might be running rich, but man it was kinda getting to me. Anyone else have problems like this?
exdrocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
boynton

Re: Getting a headache while driving.

you have an exhaust leak...get it fixed or you could be in real trouble. Unlikely but possibly a freon leak. check them both.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Getting a headache while driving.

Do you have a stock gas tank? Check all the fittings for leakage. Also the gas filler neck on these trucks was bad for gas smell in the cab. What ever the problem get it fixed.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
exdrocca

Hmm yeah I'll have to run through the exhaust a little better. I should check the connection from the exhaust manifold to piping.

Yes, stock gas tank. Actually took it out to clean out the sediment in it a couple months ago. Fittings are all nice and tight, and I put on a new filler gasket as well as a new gas cap with a vent. It is a non-vented tank.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
michael bustamante

Did you change the o ring on the sender? Also make sure the hardline is still tight
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

If you were breathing gas fumes you would smell raw gas. Check cab for air leaks. I've driven trucks with leaking header collector gaskets for months with no exhaust getting in the cab. Are you sure it's not a burnt coolant smell? If the heater core is leaking the windows will fog up. You can smell burnt coolant and it's very obnoxious (noxious,too ).
Your exhaust is fine the way you have it routed. The law requires an exhaust to exit from under the body behind the rear most opening to the passenger area.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-10-2014 at 07:09 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
WIDESIDE72

Sounds like an exhaust leak. Also I would advise getting some tailpipes on the truck. They will make the truck more enjoyable all around even if they don't fix the current issue. I would seal up all of the holes in the firewall. I have used silicone, caulk and "chewing gum" from tin roofing panels on different vehicles over the years. Is your heater/AC fan working? if so turn your fan on to draw some fresh air into the cab. You can also open you kick panel vents to get some fresh air inside.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Get a buddy to ride with you and see if he notices a particular scent- exhaust fumes, gasoline, antifreeze would be a good place to start
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
quick60

FYI Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless You cant smell it. If it is a big leak then yes you will smell the other gases emitted fromt the exhaust. Small leak not so much if any smell but CO causes headaches at low levels of exposure and builds up over time. Dont expose a buddy or family member. If you are getting a headache while driving your truck then that is enough evidence there is a problem I suggest several several low buck options that should tell you there is a problem. THESE STILL MAY NOT BE THE END ALL TO DETECTING YOUR PROBLEM. IF YOU STILL HAVE SYMPTOMS THERE IS A PROBLEM. THIS IS SUGGESTION AND REQUIRES YOU TO DRIVE THE TRUCK AND EXPOSE YOU SOME MORE IF YOU SHOULD CHOOSE TO DO SO.

1. Driver there with you windows down!!!! Stop by your local fire station and ask them to put their CO meter in the truck. at idel it should pick soemthing up. Last resort they probably would love a ride in a cool truck (or not, with a CO leak), drive around the block or parking lot so not to expose you any further and pull back in with them and a calibrated meter waiting on you. Soon as you pull in grab the meter and set it on the seat, truck running and close the door. Will only take a few seconds to tell.
2. Go to hardware store and buy a battery operated CO dectector and drive around with it. NUMBER 1 IS BEST OPTION becasue their meter reads from 0ppm all the way up to 999ppm or higher. Low level exposure ie less than 9ppm will not be picked up by some hardware store detectors but over time can be serious health issue to you or anyone in the truck ie first symptom is the headache.
3. If the reading is 0ppm for CO ask them where the Hazardous Material Team fire station is they will have a 4 gas meter that will detect gasoline. May not need to drive around if there are gas fumes it will pick it up.

Last edited by quick60; 03-10-2014 at 09:27 AM.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Gumby

Be careful as CO builds in your system over time, a small leak CAN kill you.

often hidden rust spots into the cabin are the cause.

smoke bomb or too tossed under it can show smoke leaking in hidden spots.

https://www.facebook.com/ChevyGmcTrucksFindOfTheDay or http://ChevyGMCTrucks.com
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Steve Hafner

. . . .

I had the same problem . . . I don't take the kids with me anymore !!!

. . . . . . . . . . PROBLEM SOLVED . . . . . .
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
Rich916

Have you considered that it might be noise related? Lots of vibration and sound waves bouncing around in the cab with rubber floor mat and no head liner.

Have you installed sound deadening insulation, jute padding?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
exdrocca

Quick 60, That is great information! Thank you! There is a fire station within 5 miles of me. I will have to check that out. I had no idea they did that.

Wideside72, Yes I do have a couple open holes in the firewall after taking a closer look. I will be plugging them up now. I like the chewing gum idea.Thanks

Rich916, You know, I didn't think about it but that is something to take into consideration. The truck is not too loud, I did have the windows down the while driving. The radio doesn't work. I would hope the noise is not the problem, that is such a soothing sound!

So my game plan is to plug all holes on the firewall, retorque exhaust bolts and make it to the fire station this weekend.

So even if I was burning some oil (lets say a quart every 600+ miles I think it's the valve seals) And the carb being out of adjustment, lean or rich. I still shouldn't be getting fumed out in the cab if it was darn tight?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As you probably know, these trucks are leaky. Things to look at: firewall steering column seals, power brake booster to firewall seal, various and sundry other rubber seals for wire cables, linkages and don't overlook the vent grill rubber seal on the hood. Also, tape the vent openings up for testing inside the cab.

One of the best things I did was to replace the door gaskets. Sure made things a little tighter.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
71swb4x4

Are you spending more time in that truck than others? I was getting headaches too but we determined I needed glasses. My vision is really good, but off just enough where focusing on so many different objects at different distances quickly caused strain on my eyes.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
exdrocca

I'm the only one that's been in the truck since owning it for 2 years. I can't say that I noticed this being a problem in the past. Just this past weekend after driving for about 2 hours, I went to the grocery store and was really kinda out of it.

Honestly, I never paid close attention to sealing up the cab. I do know the door gaskets could use a bit of attention. They are newish, but could use a bit of glue to hold them in place. I noticed too that I'm missing a boot for the clutch pedal in the firewall. I believe my next post will be in the "what did you do to your truck today" thread
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
quick60

If you have a sliding back glass and exhaust in front of the rear tires exhaust may be getting caught in the vortex behind the cab and brought into the truck. Maybe??? just a thought.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Hundreds of thousands of people bought these trucks and have been driving them ever since. I never heard of anyone getting headaches because these trucks aren't as cushy and quiet as new ones.

Sealing up the firewall is always a good idea...mostly to keep cold air in winter and hot air in summer from coming into the cab. Nothing harmful is in that air unless you have an exhaust leak. The exhaust leak is what needs fixed to solve the headaches.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
quick60

Well said special K.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #20
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick60 View Post
FYI Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless You cant smell it. If it is a big leak then yes you will smell the other gases emitted fromt the exhaust. Small leak not so much if any smell but CO causes headaches at low levels of exposure and builds up over time. Dont expose a buddy or family member. If you are getting a headache while driving your truck then that is enough evidence there is a problem I suggest several several low buck options that should tell you there is a problem. THESE STILL MAY NOT BE THE END ALL TO DETECTING YOUR PROBLEM. IF YOU STILL HAVE SYMPTOMS THERE IS A PROBLEM. THIS IS SUGGESTION AND REQUIRES YOU TO DRIVE THE TRUCK AND EXPOSE YOU SOME MORE IF YOU SHOULD CHOOSE TO DO SO.

1. Driver there with you windows down!!!! Stop by your local fire station and ask them to put their CO meter in the truck. at idel it should pick soemthing up. Last resort they probably would love a ride in a cool truck (or not, with a CO leak), drive around the block or parking lot so not to expose you any further and pull back in with them and a calibrated meter waiting on you. Soon as you pull in grab the meter and set it on the seat, truck running and close the door. Will only take a few seconds to tell.
2. Go to hardware store and buy a battery operated CO dectector and drive around with it. NUMBER 1 IS BEST OPTION becasue their meter reads from 0ppm all the way up to 999ppm or higher. Low level exposure ie less than 9ppm will not be picked up by some hardware store detectors but over time can be serious health issue to you or anyone in the truck ie first symptom is the headache.
3. If the reading is 0ppm for CO ask them where the Hazardous Material Team fire station is they will have a 4 gas meter that will detect gasoline. May not need to drive around if there are gas fumes it will pick it up.

I just happen to be employed by a gas detection manufacture. Quick 60 is giving you some great advice. Stop by a local fire station and tell them you think you have a CO problem and they will be able to check it. I'm betting you've got a pretty nasty exhaust leak and as Quick 60 advised, you can't see or smell CO.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I'm surprised you don't "hear" the exhaust leak if it's bad enough to cause headaches. I have driven long enough with blown header collector gaskets that it cut into the collector and ruined the header and never had any fumes in the cab. Anything forward enough to be an issue should be making some noise

Tim

Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
Rich916

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hundreds of thousands of people bought these trucks and have been driving them ever since. I never heard of anyone getting headaches because these trucks aren't as cushy and quiet as new ones.
Nothing to do with “cushy” or quite, Its not always high disables of sound that causes headaches but Frequency and vibration on the ear drums. My interpretation of the OP was that it was a long drive, and repetitive vibration on the ear drum at a relatively low or 'quiet' frequency could definitively be responsible.