The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
TXRookie

What to do?? LS2 or Big Block for my project

Well I finally yanked the stock motor and trans out of my 68 C10 a month or so ago. And I'm trying to come up with a plan for the motor and trans. Let me take a second to give you a feel for the overall plan. This truck wont be a daily driver but I would like to drive to work sometimes. I want it to be traffic friendly and be able to drive it from Austin to Houston or were ever I feel necessary. It will be driven on the highway allot, rapped on from stoplight to stop light, and maybe be taken to the track every once and awhile. I'm going to have the truck riding on shockwaves or some type of air ride suspension. I want to be able to lower the truck for a great low stance, but he able to adjust it to make it over the speed bumps at the local Home Depot. The truck will ride on 18's in the front and 19's in the rear. Pretty sure I want to keep and automatic trans in the truck. I think a 4l80E would be cool, because of overdrive. So my problem is the motor. I'm thinking a LS2 would be awesome. I had a LS1 in my 02 Camaro SS and loved it. I'd like to have around 500hp or so. So with a LS2, a few mods like heads and cam, maybe some tuning. I should get that. Or I could just go with a GM Crate Big Block. Since I want the truck to handle great(as good as a 68 can) I figured the lighter weight block would help. Any of you guys have any input on what I should do. I don’t have bottomless pockets but I'm not afraid to spend some cash were it counts. Also, later on down the road I would like to add a supercharger. Just for the pure fun factor, and the fact that I love the smell of burning rubber. Any input would be great. I'm not buying the motor anytime soon, but I'm just not sure which way to go. Then I need to address my stock rear end. This is my first big project and I apologize in advanced for all the newbie questions. By the way, this forum is great. I have learned allot by searching and reading others post. The quality of talent on this forum is incredible.
TXRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
TonyJohnson

Re: What to do?? LS2 or Big Block for my project

That's a pretty fun question. I think I'd go LS2/4l60 (I'd personally go 6 spd...) These can be had with computer, harness and all accessories including a/c. So right off the bat, you save a ton on serpentine setup, etc. The other main reason to go LSx is tuning. Invest in HP Tuners software and you'll have complete control of the engine and upgradability when you go to the blower... This engine/tranny combo is quite a bit lighter than the big block/4l80 combo, so you'll get a benefit in mileage and handling. It's also a pretty compact package that will be easy to fit and give you a ton of room in the engine bay. Before I put it in, I'd put in some forged pistons and a good cam. The heads are pretty easy to port if you want to try or you can find a great set for 1400 or so. Be sure to upgrade springs to doubles. These engines are notorious for breaking valve springs... The 4l60 can be beefed up to take 500hp. When you go to a blower later, you might want to upgrade to the 4l80, but it's heavy.

All the same stuff can be done to the big block, but you'll spend more time and money piecing it together and you won't have the benefit of all the support the LSx is getting. There are some great boards and a lot of cool developement groups working on stuff for it.

Sounds like a fun project whichever way you go.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
TonyJohnson

Forgot... Even with 3.73 rear you should get better than 20 mpg on the highway if you can keep your total weight under 3600 or so. The engine also runs really clean also, so it's fairly easy to keep it within emissions (might or might not be a factor, but one to think about...) Don't forget a great torque convertor. A yank ss stalling around 3500 would be fun... 8^>
Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Go with the big block.....396, 402,427, 454.....and the 700R4. No electronics to deal with; stoplight grand prix will be fun; with the overdrive the trip from Austin to Houston on 290 will be "fun", and (as always) there's no substitute for cubic inches.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
mnunn454

There will be some "challenges" with the LSx, like motor mounts, exhaust, fuel pump in the custom tank, etc, but nothing that can't be overcome. If you're into "tech" stuff, then the LSx has a great potential (your 500+ HP goal would be relatively easy) and the 4L60e or 80e would be a boltup and work well in front of the 3.73 gears.

However I shy away from the tech stuff (refusal to grow up, I guess. I get the grandkids to program my remote too) so my choice is for simple, raw, BBC power. Yes it'll be a little heavier, but there's just no beating that low end grunt-torque a BBC delivers. An LSx will have to be wound up a little extra to match the torque of a BBC.

The LSx will definitely yield better highway MPG than a BBC. But I think the BBC has better underhood eye appeal at cruises and car shows and sounds meaner at traffic lights.

If you do want BBC and 4L80e, don't forget the $500+ A/T controller. If you go BBC/TH700 put some extra money into beefy internal tranny parts.

Regarding supercharging, I think the LSx lends itself to fine tuning a little easier than a carbureted BBC. But personally I like the looks of the 6 or 871's sitting atop the block like a silver crown.

In the end, I think if you're willing to go the techie tuner route, the LS2 would be the better choice, but it's a close call (IMO) for sure. I think both paths will end up costing you about the same, but initially you'll spend more time under the hood with the LSx than a crate BBC.

Best wishes. Either way it'll be a winner.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe

Last edited by mnunn454; 01-03-2008 at 06:55 AM.
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
streetstar

I look at the truck as a total package -- and are you an "old school" guy, or new school guy?

I think the big block would be more fun and be less expensive than a supercharged LS-2. Yes it will eat more gas , but the fun factor is worth it. Aluminum heads would help minimize the weight difference.

But then again ............. i had a ZO-6 from '03 - '05. As much power as that thing had, i would not hesitate to use it in a truck -- 1st gear was not even usable in that car

Old school or new school -- thats a difficult question. I am curious what the weight of an LS2 is with a centrifugal supercharger setup vs a big block with aluminum heads and a single carb

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
57sailplane

to me its a question of hp. if you are looking at 700 or so hp then go with the ls motor it will be way better in drive ability and there is a weight savings also. if you are looking to go much higher in hp then you will have to probably buy aftermarket parts. not sure about the ls motors but the 1st gen small blocks require a crank with the bb snout to handle such a big super charger. what i am getting at is if you are building somthing 700 hp or less go with the lsx its probably the all around wiser choice. but if you are looking for more go with the big block it will be cheaper in the long run when looking for higher hp figures.
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
TXRookie

I'm more of a new school guy I guess. I want the truck to have a low stance(kinda a Pro Touring look, over used term), larger wheels, big brakes, and stupid horsepower. I understand this is a 68 C10 and it will never handle like a new Vette. But I want it to be fast, nimble, and simply a blast to drive. So I do love the rumble of a big block. But I'm very drawn to the LS-2. I'm thinking of buying a new LS-2 crate motor and a 4L80E trans. Also, not sure if I should go EFI or carb. Carb is cool for the simplicity factor, but EFI is awesome for its tunablity and reliablity. Either would be nice. But I'm pretty sure the LS-2 is the way I will go. I'm just trying to put togeather a parts list I might need. I need to get a list together for motor, trans, computer, harness, etc. Thanks everyone for your input. It is appreciated!
TXRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
jkade

Big Blocks are a thing of the past in my book.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post

unless you want to go fast

Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Quoted for truth.

Trust me, after having both, you'll be MUCH happier with LSx power.

500 hp with an LS engine is child's play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
Funny you should say that. I wonder how an LS1 Camaro won the Pump Gas Drags this year??

http://www.compcams.com/pumpgasdrags/

And everybody knows you certainly can't make over 2000 hp with an LSX that is still streetable...

How can you disagree with an $1800 block that can be built to 500+ cubes and will withstand 2500 hp???
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...6454&engCat=ls
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
streetstar

Ebony and Ivory can live together in perfect harmony

500 hp is also child's play with a 454 , its even possible with 781 heads on a 454.

I dont pay any attention to pump gas drags, it doesnt apply to my life or the class i choose to race in. (IHRA pro/mod is still dominated by blown big blocks).

I'm more interested in the price tag for that complete engine if its making 2000 hp. If you have 25 - 30k, you can build something pretty stout using most engine platforms, and at that power level, they all cost about the same.

Last edited by streetstar; 01-04-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
Maybe you need to see some built LS based motors. I know of plenty going fast
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
bowtieboy93

i think BB all the way. crate done with over 500 hp bolt it in. while if you go with lsx, your gonna be over that, stock with all of your computer and wiring. also while fuel injection is better, carburetors are much easier. as well as if that bb breaks down, its ALOT cheaper to fix
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
russellmarling

Well, here is my perspective, coming from someone who owns one of each. I have an LS1 Camaro and a big block powered GMC. The Camaro is daily driven, it is fast, quiet (compared to the big block), and smooth- but it has no character. The truck gets cruised every now and then, cold starts are tough because the Mighty Demon doesn't have a choke, and the gas mileage is ridiculous, but when I open the hood I see hot rod mecca. When I look under the hood of the Camaro I see miles of wiring and black plastic. The sound of the big block at idle is unbelieveable. But the LS1 idles smoothly so I don't spill my coffee. I can play with the timing and carb in the truck and "tinker" with it when I'm bored. I can't "play" with the Camaro, but its precisely tuned by the computer anyway. Maybe big blocks are a thing of the past. Who cares? My truck is a thing of the past- that is why I like it. These two are apples and oranges. Do you want a vintage hot rod with character, simplicity, and chrome, or something high-tech that starts on the first turn of the key every morning? Either way it should be awesome.
'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmarling View Post
The Camaro is daily driven, it is fast, quiet (compared to the big block), and smooth- but it has no character
Maybe you need to hear some ls motors with cams.
http://ls1sounds.com/camshafts.htm

"When I look under the hood of the Camaro I see miles of wiring and black plastic"

Not that many with a stand alone harness and they can be hidden like the old man did below.

This is a debate that has many opinions and if I was not going to drive one on 100 + mile trips a big block would be fine. But guys, you don't have to spend $6000 to have a ls motor in your ride. I have about $3000 in my motor, trans, wiring, fuel, guages, etc that is put in and running. I say it makes somewhere around 400 to 430hp. How much will it cost to build a bbc that will make that kind of power? LS motors don't wear and tear as bad as old style engines either and chances are if it is done right you won't need to be working on it just enjoying it. JM2C
Old 01-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
.....This is a debate that has many opinions and if I was not going to drive one on 100 + mile trips a big block would be fine. But guys, you don't have to spend $6000 to have a ls motor in your ride. I have about $3000 in my motor, trans, wiring, fuel, guages, etc that is put in and running. I say it makes somewhere around 400 to 430hp. How much will it cost to build a bbc that will make that kind of power?
You got off cheap & you know it. Why? Because you've done it before. It's alot easier to shave costs when you know all the ins/outs of swapping a certain combo (which harness, which electronics; where to get cheap motors of good/reputable quality, etc....). Most of the general public (read members of this forum) can easily spend 3K when just doing a typical sbc.

I love ls1's. I love the power, reliability, & economy (if you can manage to keep your foot out of it ). So tell us: How did you swap in a LS motor for "about 3K"?

Spread the knowledge!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
usernamessuck

Go with the LS or get really out of hand and go with a 572 crate!
usernamessuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunn454 View Post
There will be some "challenges" with the LSx, like motor mounts, exhaust, fuel pump in the custom tank, etc, but nothing that can't be overcome. If you're into "tech" stuff, then the LSx has a great potential (your 500+ HP goal would be relatively easy) and the 4L60e or 80e would be a boltup and work well in front of the 3.73 gears.

However I shy away from the tech stuff (refusal to grow up, I guessBest
Your loss....putting an a GenIII (LQ9, LM7, LS1, etc.) or a GenIV (LS2, LS7, etc) into our trucks is literally a bolt-in affair if you got the cash. it's just as easy to put one of the new fuel injected engines into our truck as it is to put an outdated 1st gen 350 crate motor with a Gear Vendors Overdrive into our trucks...

Basically, the rule is simple: the more money you have to spend, the more bolt-in it gets. If you don't have money to spend, you better be good at fabricating stuff.

Take it from a guy who has done the swap. If you go automatic, all you need to be able to do is pay someone for the harness and computer reprogramming, spend $250 on ECE motor mounts, read some of the swap threads me and the other guys who've done the swap have made, keep it an automatic tranny, make some fuel and tranny cooler lines, and the only fab work involved is mounting a Lokar electronic pedal to the floor, dealing with the tranny linkage (easy fix if you just move to a floor shifter) and that's pretty much all there is to it. it's seriously a no-brainer.

you can do all of this for under $3500 total if you get a good deal on the engine+tranny combo (get a low mileage 5.3L or 6.0L + 4l80e combo out of a 2002+ Tahoe for $1500-1750 and you're in like flint)

just my 2¢ from a guy who's been there and done that. 22mpg-26mpg highway mileage awaits you, and for about the same $$$ you'd spend on a new crate motor swap, or for a total bolt-in setup, you'll be paying as much as you would for a nice ZZ4 crate motor, and with the same HP/TQ out of the box (300HP/300TQ or more)

i am AMAZED that more people haven't done/aren't doing this swap. it's night and day difference to make a superb daily driver/loud ass cruiser (if you run no-Cat/cut-out exhaust) cheap as a crate motor would

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-04-2008 at 08:00 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamessuck View Post
Go with the LS or get really out of hand and go with a 572 crate!
LSx = 20mpg+ and it's fuel injected
572 = 7-8mpg+ and it's carbured

LS7 will produce the same kind of power that a 572 will...with both you're spending a stupid amount of money for a car that will kill you. Lxx engine from a modern truck will get good gas milage and stupid good power with a couple of simple performance mods (we're talking 425HP out of an LQ9 just from a new cam, springs, intake and good exhaust setup with tuning from someone who knows what they're doing)

huge difference there.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #21
bowtieboy93

also think for ignition tho
BB - MSD Billet distributor $300.00
LS - MSD Spark Pack - $90.00 each $720.00 total
so to get more out of an ls it costs some cash
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

6.0 block+heads+cam= 500+ HP that runs on pump gas all day long. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #23
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

I love ls1's. I love the power, reliability, & economy (if you can manage to keep your foot out of it ). So tell us: How did you swap in a LS motor for "about 3K"?
Here's one that was done for $2,565.21 (would have been $2,067.96 with better planning, per his admission - this was his second GenIII swap, too):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239446
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707811

Also, here are about two dozen other older GenIII swap threads that people are doing/have done, if you read them and learn from their choices and costs, even the least tech-savvy of people here should be able to figure it out:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=125

Here's the thing - and I try to make this very clear (sorry for the triple post): People get suckered into a money pit in three ways:

1) They spend way the f@$k too much on their engine/tranny combo. You should be able to get a 4.8-6.0L "truck" engine with a 4l60e or 4l80e all day long shipped to your door or for local pick at $1500-2000. Period. End of story. If you're paying more, you're either being impatient, or you aren't looking hard enough (on Craigslist, at salvage yards or at forums like Ls1tech's classifieds)

2) They don't bother reading the hundreds of threads where others have already done the swap so they can make a plan. Poor planning costs time and money. There is NEVER a need to re-invent the wheel.

3) They are perfectionists and spend too much money on parts OR they buy a lot of unnecessary crap OR they want a bolt-in experience (plug and play) so they buy expensive parts and tuning like the beautiful harnesses from Speartech or your god-awfully overpriced stuff from S&P ( www.hotrodlane.cc )

Any of those three can be avoided when sticking with a GenIII platform. Again, I am only sharing this after my experience of building up my truck, helping about 7 or 8 other guys around here build their trucks up with a GenIII, and reading about 50 other stories on the internet of people swapping the same drivetrain into their 67-72 pickup (carbed, EFI or otherwise)

It's good stuff.

Hope you guys aren't taking my posts in the wrong way. I'm not upset or anything, and not trying to argue. I have a very firm view/grasp of this stuff, and I absolutely LOVE to share the knowledge and spread the word. Anyone with a 3-digit IQ can swap a GenIII engine. It just takes proper planning, smart budgeting, and getting off to a good start with a low-buck, low-price engine/tranny combo.

Last edited by shifty; 01-04-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #24
57sailplane

well
if you cant decide between the 2 why not a compromise how about a 502 ramjet.. heres the link.....
http://www.gmhorsepower.com/Ram_Jet_502.html
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 AM   #25
Ozona
Account Suspended

This is a discussion between looks and dollars basically.

The LS motors basically all look the same. Pop your hood around any "hot rods" or late model guys - everyone has the same thing.

Pop your hood with a BBC in it, and you'll be one of a few...at most.

BBC + Carb = Fewer parts, simple operation, easy to tune (period), and parts are easy to find used/aftermarket/etc.

The EFI project is going to be dramatically more complicated. Computer, Wiring harness, Engine controls, EFI fuel system, serpentine belts...Plain and simple...It's more parts. More parts = more money.

If you want big power and anvil simplicity - go with the BBC.

If you don't care about keeping it simple and the potentially much larger build expense/complication - the LS motors are neat.

And the comment above about "Big Blocks are a thing of the past in my book." that's silly. End of story.

Last edited by Ozona; 01-05-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote