The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Strange Noise?

When I step on the brake I hear a jingling type noise, and it continues with foot off the brake until I accelerate agian. No noise from dead stop until touching the brake after reaching about 25 MPH. The Rotors have been turned and new pads put on in front. New pads have been put on in the rear, with no loose springs visible. Replaced left rear axle, bearing and seal because of strange wear on axle. Pulled both differential cover and replaced oil, with nothing strange going on inside. I rode in the bed around the block a couple times and it sounds like it's coming from around the trasfer case area. Transmission and transfer case both have proper fluid. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 67CHIP72; 04-28-2008 at 07:00 AM.
67CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Re: Strange Noise?

could it be a brake pad without the clip that holds it into the caliper?
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Dusty_case

I Have a 72 and my exhaust bracket broke loose and was rubbing make a metal on metal sound when I would speed up and slow down
Dusty_case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Dusty_case

you know I had some time to think about it I had a prob like that on my wifes ford. it turd out the transmission bolt backed out on the pump and was rubbing on the tork converter. it might not help but make sure all your bolts are tight
Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CHIP72 View Post
When I step on the brake I hear a jingling type noise, and it continues with foot off the brake until I accelerate agian. No noise from dead stop until touching the brake after reaching about 25 MPH. The Rotors have been turned and new pads put on in front. New pads have been put on in the rear, with no loose springs visible. Replaced left rear axle, bearing and seal because of strange wear on axle. Pulled both differential cover and replaced oil, with nothing strange going on inside. I rode in the bed around the block a couple times and it sounds like it's coming from around the trasfer case area.... Any suggestions?
Did you do all of this work because of the noise? Or did the noise occur afterwards?

Since it happens only when tapping on the brakes, I would guess it's related to that. Disc pads normally ride very close to the disc and the vibration of the disc is what gives the slight clearance needed. When you accelerate, you may jar it back away from the disc. First thing I would do is look at the disc brakes again very carefully. Clean them, make sure the surfaces and shafts are well lubricated and sliding freely, and add some anti rattle/ squeel on the backside.

If it happened after the brake work, I'd look at the pad surfaces also. I had some with uneven, infused metallic particles and they would make a grinding sound.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Dusty_case

you know 68gmsee is right I guess I am in the habbit of doing things the hard way lol
Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Is it coming from out back?I`d check the rear brakes for the e-brake spreader bar coming dislodged or a broken/dislodged spring.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Shaffer4
Strange Cousin From The West..

Dunno if its an auto or not, but when I first got my '70 it would tingle when stopping or driving at low speed. Turned out that the Flex bolts were loose; less than finger tight.
Shaffer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Any luck with the noise?

On these trucks (and in my case with bad hearing), it is hard to tell where a noise is coming from unless it's really pronounced.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
67CHIP72
STOLEN

No luck yet. Have to hit it again this week when I have a chance. Was working out of town all weekend. All the work that I've done was post noise, but brakes were all due anyway. When I'm in the cab it sounds like it's coming from out back, but when I rode in the bed sounds to be forward of driveshaft.

Last edited by 67CHIP72; 04-29-2008 at 05:17 PM.
67CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
DANTIP

I had strange noises associated with brakes that turned out to be caliper bushings/hardware were worn/loose. Had them replaced and noise went away. I had at least 20 people try to figure the noise out and finally a front-end guy drove the truck for 2 minutes and knew exactly what was wrong. I enjoy working on my own truck but I was glad to pay for this guys knowledge and experience.

Dan
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote