The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
cowboyjim86

alternator wiring

hey guys in having a problem getting my alternator to charge it is your average 3 wire alternator the shop put two red wires hooked to my battery and the other one is running my dash lights i would like to hook it up to my voltage meter in the cab and also figure out why it is not charging my battery please help kinda getting frustrated at all the problems the shop left me with thanks for all the help
Attached Images

cowboyjim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
haysonj

Re: alternator wiring

If you have the original amp gauge in the truck you would have to run a #10 wire from the large post on the alt to the gauge then run a#10 wire from the gauge to the battery. The #1 terminal goes to the white wire in the harness and you run a red jumper from the #2 terminal to the #10 going to the amp gauge. Those alt were made to work with volt gauges so I would suggest an after market gauge and leave the amp gauge disconnected.

Last edited by haysonj; 11-07-2010 at 04:46 PM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Does this help?
s/t
Attached Images

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
haysonj

I think he has a internal regulated alternator so his regulator has been removed or bypassed
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
cowboyjim86

yes i have a internal regulated alternator and i have after market amp gauge the shop i took it to hooked the #2 red wire to the bat terminal wire and the #1 brown wire to the lights on the gauge cluster but to nothing else didnt even hook the amp gauge up they did the oil pressure and water temp
cowboyjim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjim86 View Post
yes i have a internal regulated alternator and i have after market amp gauge the shop i took it to hooked the #2 red wire to the bat terminal wire and the #1 brown wire to the lights on the gauge cluster but to nothing else didnt even hook the amp gauge up they did the oil pressure and water temp
If it is a amp gauge then you need to run the charge wire to the gauge then back to battery or to the battery cable on the solenoid. Running the wire that far it should be at least a #12 but I would use a #10 as it will carry more amperage.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

You have left out some details that might be helpful. Like the year of your truck, which I see by your other posts is a 70 LWB c-10. Do you have the idiot light dash cluster or do you have the stock 7 gauge cluster with the battery gauge?
If you bought an aftermarket ammeter you will need to determine if it is an external shunt or an internal shunt type. See the thread below to determine the difference.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324105

If it's the external type then it will be wired to the battery positive side on one post and to the alternator wiring on the other post. The wires won't have to be more than 18 gauge but each wire should have a small fuse in the circuit. The factory used 4 amp fuses in the stock trucks and the wires were black and black/with white stripe. Here's a diagram.
Name:  HEI and stock wiring.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  53.5 KB

You can see the wires and the fuses in the center of the picture. One wire is vertical and the other wire runs horizontally along the bottom of the diagram.

Your alternator should have been re-wired according to this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote