The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Jemezcrusher

Running board filler panels

My 1950 Chevrolet 3100 (specific for Mr48) has a hodgepodge of parts. During the mock up my running boards were not present and so I pressed on. Now I am fitting them and they are fine, but the filler panels between the running boards and the bottom of the bed are a different issue.

They seem to fit OK until i put the support bracket that goes from underneath the running board and supports the splash pane; I end up with a 1” gap once tightened up. I assume this is due to inconsistent running boards, aftermarket fenders, body worked splash panels, etc, etc, etc.

If I remove the support bracket I can push the panel up to the bottom of the bed and it looks good.

Is there any practical reason I can not drill three holes through the top of the panels (similar to how they attach to the running boards) and bottom of the bed rails to hold these panels in place? My thought is to drill them a bit oversize and then put a bolt with an o-ring between the panels and the bed for some cushion. Using self locking nuts so they don’t have to be overly tight and allow some wiggle.

The support brackets would have to be cut/bent/welded to make them hold the panels in place.

Seems like my solution would be quicker and easier.

Is there something i am not thinking of?
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote