The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
CentralCoaster

How illegal is this? Modifying license plates to look original...

In CA, you can't reassign old plates to your vehicle unless it's older than 1962. I want to paint the new plates on my truck to look like the cool yellow on black '69 plates.

I took a newer blue on white plate off my garage wall to try and make it look like a 69 plate, just for practice.

Basically painted a thick yellow coat on there, then black, and rubbed the black off the letters.

Here's the test plate pretty much done:

I'm going to give it another shot with a mustard yellow, this one is too bright.

The main problem is the new CA plates I have don't have the embossed state name. So I'd either have to try stenciling/masking it onto a flat surface, or maybe easier, cutting up some old plates and welding the top half onto my plates. Do you guys think I'm taking this too far? It seems like the only way to get black/yellow on my truck that it originally came with.

I don't see how the cops would mind, if they even noticed. The only way they'd know is that it's a new numbering sequence.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 04-25-2007 at 02:00 AM.
CentralCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: How illegal is this? Modifying license plates to look original...

trust me as a former cop, they will notice. you will get pulled over and somewhere there will be some reg that allows them to either impound your ride, put you behind bars or in the very least harass you and make you walk.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

Don't risk it

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
CentralCoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck View Post
trust me as a former cop, they will notice. you will get pulled over and somewhere there will be some reg that allows them to either impound your ride, put you behind bars or in the very least harass you and make you walk.

May I ask why? That just seems like an awful dickhead thing to do to someone trying to make their classic truck look original.

The vehicle code does prohibit you from covering the plate with anything, whether clear or not, obviously paint woudl fall into that category. I'll have to look up the penalty, but I think it's at most a fix it ticket.

Is the purpose of reflective plates to make speed/laser targeting easier? I've always wondered this, as the front plates seem to serve no other purpose, especially on a sportscar.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #5
GREASEMONKEY72

it is pretty risky, and i have thought about doing it myself because i like the block and gold plates more then the blue ones but im glad i have the blue ones since the newer white ones are everywhere and it is illegal

but you can find an old plate and have it registered to your truck if you really want the black and gold plate

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
CentralCoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
but you can find an old plate and have it registered to your truck if you really want the black and gold plate
As I said in my first post, you cannot do this for vehicles newer than 1962. Trust me, if it was that easy I would.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 04-25-2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
72armyswbtruck

Has to do with the traffic code being a cops best friend and a crooks worst enemy. Gives police a hugh leash to pull over suspect vehicles, sniffing out what is not ordinary. The fact that the plate has way to many numbers for the model of plate will definately get someone to pull the vehicle over. Kind of like is that plate legal and is everything on the up and up or did they just not want to pay California taxes, stole the vehicle, etc. etc. etc.
I use to ask the following when I would as for permision to search a vehicle
It is just to make sure that you don't have any weapons, drugs, knives, stolen nuclear weapons and stuff like that.
What most people don't know is that you can say yes you may search my vehicle but only the glove box or only the top of the back seat. You are allowed to specify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post
May I ask why? That just seems like an awful dickhead thing to do to someone trying to make their classic truck look original.

The vehicle code does prohibit you from covering the plate with anything, whether clear or not, obviously paint woudl fall into that category. I'll have to look up the penalty, but I think it's at most a fix it ticket.

Is the purpose of reflective plates to make speed/laser targeting easier? I've always wondered this, as the front plates seem to serve no other purpose, especially on a sportscar.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
CentralCoaster

I don't have anything to hide, not a crook, so nothing to lose. But I see your point.

What about the front plate issue though?

Next time I get pulled over I'll be sure to tell them to not search the hidden gun compartment, or the coke vial in my anus.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 04-25-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck View Post
Has to do with the traffic code being a cops best friend and a crooks worst enemy. Gives police a hugh leash to pull over suspect vehicles, sniffing out what is not ordinary. The fact that the plate has way to many numbers for the model of plate will definately get someone to pull the vehicle over. Kind of like is that plate legal and is everything on the up and up or did they just not want to pay California taxes, stole the vehicle, etc. etc. etc.
I use to ask the following when I would as for permision to search a vehicle
It is just to make sure that you don't have any weapons, drugs, knives, stolen nuclear weapons and stuff like that.
What most people don't know is that you can say yes you may search my vehicle but only the glove box or only the top of the back seat. You are allowed to specify.
i ddint know you can specify where they can and cant search

Quote:
yes, its so they can be seen easier and be seen more clearly at night

Quote:
Next time I get pulled over I'll be sure to tell them to not search the hidden gun compartment, or the coke vial in my anus.

Quote:
What about the front plate issue though?
i believe the front plate is for easier identification, both by eyes and with the traffic cams but im not 100% sure why theyre required

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Basically,you can`t use common sense when it comes to the law.It iswhat it is and you are powerless if you`re outside of it.You don`t have bad intentions,but that`s beside the point here.With all the people a law governs,it has to be the best for all concerned.Generally what that means is the laws are about bad people,not peole like you.We suffer for the bad apple`s decay.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
Ozona
Account Suspended

Gotta love California.

You could do what you're talking about for a show only car. If you modify your plate colors on a new plate, in nearly any state, you're asking for trouble. Lots of the police are car guys, nice people, etc..probably most. It only takes 1 that's having a bad day to start asking legal questions about your plate, you, your truck, etc.

In TX you can assign proper year plates to your vehicle, so for say..a 1972, you can get 1972 plates and can legally have them after going through a mild amount of paperwork/hassle.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
68wip

I put the original 1968 plate that my Grandfather had on the front of the truck. Asked local Police if this was OK and they said as long as my back plate is legal that it is OK to run the old '68 plate. I keep the legal front plate under the seat just in case though. Ask your local Police, but I'd put your legal plate back the way it was and look on evil bay for a plate of the year you are looking for.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68wip; 04-25-2007 at 09:54 AM.
68wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #13
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I pulled this from the California DMV site:

Altered License Plates
4464. No person shall display upon a vehicle a license plate altered from its original markings.

Added Ch. 1478, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.

Wonder how much that would set you back?
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
i believe the front plate is for easier identification, both by eyes and with the traffic cams but im not 100% sure why theyre required
It was no big deal a few years back but with all the Red light Cameras going up all over the place it now is. Simple...they want your money.

I would not run altered plates or anything else that would get me pulled over.

Not worth the hassle or expence. I get enough of that just being married.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
rambler
MOVE OVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68wip View Post
I put the original 1968 plate that my Grandfather had on the front of the truck. Asked local Police if this was OK and they said as long as my back plate is legal that it is OK to run the old '68 plate. I keep the legal front plate under the seat just in case though. Ask your local Police, but I'd put your legal plate back the way it was and look on evil bay for a plate of the year you are looking for.
hmmm, I thought MO you had to show both front and rear plates on any vechicle ( unless I think over a certain weight then only the front plate is necessary. Maybe a local will say OK, but I bet a state trooper may think different, probaly just a reason to stop and check out your vechicle. KS, is differnt with only rear plates necessary, so you can put anything up front. I know I got pulled over but not ticketed because I didnt have a front plate bracket and liscene plate installed on my car, I just bought from across the state in KS, I had the plate showing in the front windshield and that was not enough for them.. I woud either follow the law and see if you can get correct year plates if availalbe or just carry some and change them for shows, and make sure you put the proper ones back on for the road.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #16
CentralCoaster

I'll ask a San Diego cop first.

In the meantime, I'm going to put a scrolling marquee across the tailgate that displays my speed at all times. This will make it easier for cops to arrest me for speeding. I'll reflectorize the entire front of the truck and print my social security number on the hood to help them out with their red light cameras.

Keep in mind in CA, it's illegal to even put clear license plates covers on.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
68wip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
hmmm, I thought MO you had to show both front and rear plates on any vechicle ( unless I think over a certain weight then only the front plate is necessary. Maybe a local will say OK, but I bet a state trooper may think different, probaly just a reason to stop and check out your vechicle.
True, my truck doesn't travel far (hasn't left the Festus/Crystal area in a few years) nor has it been on an interstate. So yeah, if you use it as a daily driver and drive the interstates you are much better carrying a spare set of plates for shows and use your legal plates for everyday driving.
68wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
RedZ71

in texas, they used to ahve cool black plates you could get for classic vehicles, but now they are crappy.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/...nbr=73&type=AC

seems all the DMVs are getting away from the quality looking stamped plates these days.
www.z71silverado.com
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
jimmydean

In Oregon, you can refinish an old plate to the original color, but not change the color.

I remember my brother repainted his plate in California and got hassled a lot. It was the original colors, but because it was hand painted (looked great though) it was another reason to get pulled over on site. He had other issues though
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #20
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2953 View Post
I pulled this from the California DMV site:

Altered License Plates
4464. No person shall display upon a vehicle a license plate altered from its original markings.
Yeah, but define "original markings". Is a marking just the actual letters imprinted on the plate? I'm sure it covers more than that, but it's still ambiguous.

If you *do* choose to do this, the paint needs to be reflective like the original.

I would skip it though - there are a couple of reputable websites online that make replicas of original classic license plates with all of the reflective material, etc. I would assume they could make one so close to the real thing for Kalifornia classic plate that even a LEO couldn't tell. I see one of them that frequently posts (I think) on Craigslist here in ATL. I've seen the repop plates, they are nice...can't provide more info than that. you'll need to hunt on your own.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 04-25-2007 at 11:22 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #21
Blue71LWB

I'm a criminal justice grad. Here in Alabama you can't have anything on your tag. Even a tag holder(like in 68wip's pic above) . Now people have them of course, and no one gets a ticket , except when the officer suspects you are under the influence , but you haven't broken any traffic laws . The tag holder gives him enough cause to pull you over.
Blue71LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #22
7T2

I always thought the front license plate rule was kind of goofy for custom cars (before red light cameras and such). I always think to myself "If you need to see the front license plate number on the front of my large, turquoise, lowered 57 GMC AMBULANCE to radio another officer to be able to tell them what to pull over, maybe you shouldn't be a cop".
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #23
gmc1969custom

Move to Texas!!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #24
dan42

:rulz: I'm not running a license plate on the front of my wife's car - it's one of those things in Callifornia that you usually can get away with. At the dealer they make you sign a form that says they gave you the bracket for the plate, so you can't blame them. Maybe I'll rethink that one.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
2nd_wnd

In kansas it is legal to registar your antique vehicles with a dated tag doesn't even have to be from that vehicle as long as the year on tag matches the year of the ride.

I bought an original never issued 1972 kansas plate for my truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2nd_wnd; 04-25-2007 at 05:44 PM.
2nd_wnd is offline   Reply With Quote