The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
djcnova

Ls1 Conversion???

Once again calling on you smart ones to help me make a decission . i have a 99 firebird LS1 w\88000 miles ,i have all the accessories \harness\ecu and all on this motor . i cant decide whether to sell it or install it in this 72 c10. I would love to hear from those who have installed one or has any info on how hard it was and what complications if any . is this an easy install or would it be to much trouble . i bought this for my 67 pontiac and it just seemed like there was gonna be some major headaches so i put it to the side . any opinions and info would be great ! thanx and GOD BLESS
djcnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
68 short step

Re: Ls1 Conversion???

not to bad phiscally mounting it in there, but the wiring, shift linkage/master cylinder, and power steering hoses, are a few obstacles you'll need to over come.....but it all has been done before, so you'll have help on tap when you need it..also what would you want for the ls1/t56 combo?
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
BustedTruck

I would go for it. But if you decide to sell it you will find lots of people on this site interested(including myself). I am in GA also and could pick up ASAP.
BustedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
djcnova

I dont know about sellin , i know i'm gonna take a hit because i paid $3200 for it, but that was when the idea was fresh to the hot rodding world and back then that was a good deal . i couldnt find one for months under $3800! i will consider reasonable offers ! but so everyone knows the trans got stolen so its just motor\harness\ecu\p-s pump\a-c compressor\alternator\flywheel\manifolds..... its out of an 99 firebird w\88000 miles i dont think i would be interested in shipping it but if someone wants to come pick it up that will work for me !! i'll take reasonible offers !! thanx
djcnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Two things:

1) There is a wealth of threads about this swap here at the forum. Please use the search feature, you'll find at least two dozen threads where others have done this swap (and you can even look in my signature for another 14+ page thread with pictures and links to other swaps)

2) You are not allowed to sell things unless you pay a subscription fee here. Not even casually mention you might have for sale, nor ask "what it's worth" - this is a tactic many use for generating leads via private message.

Cheers from a fellow Georgian just an hour or so away.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

PS - if you wind up doing the swap and you are running LS1 + T56, I have a harness from Wait4Me Performance that I might be looking to offload at the same price you'd pay for a stock harness. It has all EGR deleted. You can pretty much hook it up to a stock engine and remove any sensors that don't have a plug attached This harness was made for a 2001 LS1, so it should be a direct bolt-on if you're using a T56 or planning on using one.

(I am strongly considering upgrading to a Speartech harness)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-01-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Ok, I had time to dig it up. Here:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...46&postcount=5

In addition to that, see the "Calling all LS1 converted trucks" thread that I just bumped to the top of the forum. 6 pages of swaps and whatnot, and some good info for someone like you who hasn't done the swap.

In the event that you decide to do it, within the next couple of months (by spring) I should have my truck done, and can possibly swing out one weekend and help you if you're stuck on anything.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
68 short step

i think shifty has ran into EVERY problem with this swap (and worked through it) and again shifty has documented ALL his progress and set backs on LS1 tech (look in his sig. for the link) he also has took the time to link everyone whos done/doing these swaps in these trucks.....so if you have a question just PM him repeatedly
no, not really, but read his thread and 99% of the time the question is answered........good luck with the swap and post pics of your progress.,

Last edited by 68 short step; 02-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote