The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
67-72concretemaniac

C20 Help Needed!

Hello All, I'm an 18 year old classic chevy/gmc truck lover and I'm a fresh member on this site. I have a few suspension questions pertaining to my 68 C20.

I have a 68 3/4 ton 2wd chevy truck and I'm in the process of installing a gooseneck hitch and I'm looking to stiffen up the "ladder bar" or original coil spring suspension. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this or what works best? I'd like to use the truck as a tow pig to haul my Camaro SS to and fro the track on my tiltbed gooseneck car trailer!

Heavy Duty Springs? Air Shocks? some type of AIR BAGS??? Adding overload springs? Blocking the suspension soild? No suggestion is a bad suggestion!

Thanks, Tristan from South Dakota
67-72concretemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: C20 Help Needed!

Firestone makes airbags for everything. They are adjustable of course and this seems to be the route most go. I have a leaf spring rear end and I choose Hellwig overload springs, I can adjust them also, it was about 300 bucks all said and done.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
67-72concretemaniac

any idea what size I would need or how to measure it?
67-72concretemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
jocko

Might also find helper/overload springs for your coils from someone parting a C20 or 30 on the parts board. But I agree w/toolbox - air bags are good coil supports for hauling loads. Recommend go to a local 4x4/truck shop and tell em what you're looking for - they can sort out fitment/selection. Or just find someone that sells them and order by your application - it should be listed. They are pretty generic.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote