The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
pugs

IHC resurection

well i figured its time for a build thread. i snagged up a 51 L112 over a month ago. basically im just going to update the m/t with a chevy 250/th350. wiring and lower italittle for now and then decide on other things later. so today i pulled the front sheetmetal off and have just the clutch and shift linkage to remove and the old m/t will be out

Name:  Photo0410[1].jpg
Views: 920
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  Photo0435[1].jpg
Views: 917
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  Photo0436[1].jpg
Views: 908
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  Photo0438[1].jpg
Views: 911
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Re: IHC resurection

Hey, Cool old truck. Will you be doing any modifications? Like shortening the bed or anything.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
pugs

as of now i dont plan on it, just want to get it up and running, but hell that could change as i do know of a short bed in the local yard, but its from a 60's model and the rear fenders are different. even thought about giving a 3-4" haircut too but looking into other mods if i do that
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Now you are talking. A little off the top would look good. As for the bed, You can easily take 12" of length out. From in front of the rear fender. And 6" or so from behind it then re-center the rear axle. Drop it on the ground and make it BilletProof. That would be sick!
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
pugs

the old m/t is out and have the chevy setup sitting between the rails, will be figuring out mounts later today and some new pics.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
pugs

got the mounts tacked up today and its sitting on its own weight. need to do a trans mount yet and then think about how i want to drop it down some more. i did pull 3 leaves out of the front packs before, but the chevy setup is alot lighter then the IH m/t. so its bacically up to where it was before.

Name:  Photo0444[1].jpg
Views: 892
Size:  59.4 KB

mount
Name:  Photo0440[1].jpg
Views: 861
Size:  51.9 KB

mounts tacked in and bolted up
Name:  Photo0441[1].jpg
Views: 859
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  Photo0442[1].jpg
Views: 865
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
pugs

sorry no new pics as puter is acting up . i did manage to start wiring up the truck using a known good used harness from a late 60's early 70's chevy truck. i did manage to get it to fire up today. coil was shot i stuck in an HEI dizzy, im off like 1 tooth on the timing but it sounded good. will get pics asap
Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
pugs

didnt get to much done but did pull the dash out and took gauges out and everything off the main dash panel itself. not sure what im going to do as far as gauges yet. there were 2 holes onthe fire that worked perfectly for the harness to go thu but not sure if i m going to keep them where thay are or put new holes in and move the stuff around. hope to get more done over the weekend

Name:  Picture 050.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  Picture 047.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Picture 048.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  44.0 KB
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
jmlcolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
didnt get to much done but did pull the dash out and took gauges out and everything off the main dash panel itself. not sure what im going to do as far as gauges yet. there were 2 holes onthe fire that worked perfectly for the harness to go thu but not sure if i m going to keep them where thay are or put new holes in and move the stuff around. hope to get more done over the weekend

Attachment 742131

Attachment 742132

Attachment 742133
Looking good man! Love these old IHC's. I'm amazed to see how low the engine sits under the hood. I never saw mine together before i pulled it. It had the head off for years so i was a giant rusty paper weight not worth using.
Looking forward to watching your progress.

Last edited by jmlcolorado; 05-07-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling was horriable! Must have been tired :)
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
pugs

thanxjml, Im thinking about a 3" chop on mine but i need to find a good glass that can cut right. and if i do will most likely just have it glued in. i need to double ck my frame with those measure you got for me before for the chavy clip i think its about spot on for a bolt in, but i want tosink in the frame rails about 2" if possible to lower it more and easier to mount the steering box as the front of my stock does not kick down like the chevy frame does.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
jmlcolorado

Quote:
thanxjml, I'm thinking about a 3" chop on mine but i need to find a good glass that can cut right. and if i do will most likely just have it glued in. i need to double ck my frame with those measure you got for me before for the chavy clip i think its about spot on for a bolt in, but i want tosink in the frame rails about 2" if possible to lower it more and easier to mount the steering box as the front of my stock does not kick down like the chevy frame does.
I will tell you that the windshield is pretty much completely impossible to find. I had a lead on a company that supposedly still makes em but i haven't followed it.
My plan is to make a cardboard template of the glass, then another of the curve ( by cutting cardboard to the curve, setting it perpendicular to the glass) and heading to the junkyard to find a rig that has similar curve and the right size. I opted to split the windshield for two reasons. 1. To make the pieces smaller and easier to work with. 2. Cause it looks cool I like the split rear window that much

No offense but, why so much work using the stock frame if you plan on doing a c10 conversion?
Guess the only other thing we didn't check is to see if the front wheels line up with the front fenders. Good thing is the cab and bed have enough room for adjustment that you could move em around enough to make it work.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
pugs

its just easier to bolt up a clip instead of doing cab mounts and any other mounting for the bed and such. mite not have to notch the frame at all and just go with drop spindles and springs to get me down to were i want it. i will have to hit the yard this weekend and do get a measurement from the bottom of the frame to the spindle center to if it wil drop it at all with c10 setup. id like for sure a 4-6" drop all the way around. i had a 70 c10 a few years ago with drum brakes all around and for the hell of it i tried a 53-54 car drum on the front truck spindle and it fit prefectly as the brakes shoes are the same size.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
pugs

well some bad news today. just couldnt get the six banger to fire up correctly after messing with the timing. so i went back to the begining by pulling the #1 plug to make sure i was up on TDC. while cranking it over with my finger over the hole i noticed i didnt have any compression, so off came the valve cover and it wasnt pretty. 1st thing i noticed was the rockers were loose on #1 cylinder. i cranked it over and noticed the valves werent moving, meaning they are froze in the open position which means it dould have other damage meaning to the pisto. there are plenty of other motors out there and to me its just not worth spending the money on this one
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
jmlcolorado

Quote:
well some bad news today. just couldnt get the six banger to fire up correctly after messing with the timing. so i went back to the begining by pulling the #1 plug to make sure i was up on TDC. while cranking it over with my finger over the hole i noticed i didnt have any compression, so off came the valve cover and it wasnt pretty. 1st thing i noticed was the rockers were loose on #1 cylinder. i cranked it over and noticed the valves werent moving, meaning they are froze in the open position which means it dould have other damage meaning to the pisto. there are plenty of other motors out there and to me its just not worth spending the money on this one
Bummer dude! Hopefully theres not any piston damage, just stuck valves. A stuck exhaust valve will prevent compression for sure. But are your rods moving up and down as they should? If not, there may be a bigger problem with those or your cam.
Best of luck!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
pugs

playing around today my buddy gave me this visor which was off a Mack truck he thinks. so i cut it down tosee what the old Ih would look like with it on and im kind of digging it.

Name:  Photo0446[1].jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  Photo0447[1].jpg
Views: 891
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  Photo0448[1].jpg
Views: 927
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
jmlcolorado

Quote:
playing around today my buddy gave me this visor which was off a Mack truck he thinks. so i cut it down tosee what the old Ih would look like with it on and im kind of digging it.

Attachment 743804

Attachment 743805

Attachment 743806

Looks good! A litttly trimming and a little shaping and that thing would lik like it belonged all along. Hard to find a visor that looks the part of these trucks.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
pugs

yea and it was free too. went to the local yard to look for tires for my s10 blazer and noticed a couple of IHC's, bigger trucks tho but the cab is the same basically. one was a 55-57 and one im not sure of as it is an S-220 with the split butterfly hood and rounded fenders with the teardrop style headlite buckets. it was perfect tho body and floor its tempting to maybe snag it up. i just dont care for the exposed hinges but i could get use to it real quick. firewall would have to be replaced or build a new one as its flat and not recesssed for the motor like my 51 cab.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
jmlcolorado

Quote:
yea and it was free too. went to the local yard to look for tires for my s10 blazer and noticed a couple of IHC's, bigger trucks tho but the cab is the same basically. one was a 55-57 and one im not sure of as it is an S-220 with the split butterfly hood and rounded fenders with the teardrop style headlite buckets. it was perfect tho body and floor its tempting to maybe snag it up. i just dont care for the exposed hinges but i could get use to it real quick. firewall would have to be replaced or build a new one as its flat and not recesssed for the motor like my 51 cab.
I caught a glimps of an old city binder at a tractor trailer scrap yard myself. Think it was in the late 49 era with the exposed hinges. Guy wanted $250 per door
I liked the grill but didnt pick it up. Maybe ill go back for it and the door rubber since it was still good.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #19
pugs

i just looked up some pics online and they used this style cab up into the 60's sometime but either way i still mite snag the cab up. whats real cool is the double cowl vents they have.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #20
jmlcolorado

Quote:
i just looked up some pics online and they used this style cab up into the 60's sometime but either way i still mite snag the cab up. whats real cool is the double cowl vents they have.
Is there 1 on each side? Driver and passenger have their own? That would be pretty cool
Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
pugs

yea it has one on each side thats what got me thinking about getting the cab. i will have to fill some holes on the roof cuz of a bubble tile and whatever else they had on top. the floor was totally rust free and even had the stock rubber mat in it and looked good shape from what i seen. i need to make a pattern of my cowl where the hood lays down on it and see if it matches up that way i will know if i can use my hood and front clip. i hope to get back up there this week and try to get some pics of it.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
yukon ratrod

cool project. heres a few picts of a 51 I built for my uncle. Its a 56 front clip with a 51 cab and doors. the box was also from a 56 and I ended up building a new tailgate from scratch. I put the body on a 2002 sport trac chassis that I had to shorten 10 inchs. anyway heres a few picts for you. hope you like
Attached Images

yukon ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
pugs

nice job Yukon, like the color combo and custom dash setup
Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #24
abebummy26

Cool binder trucks on here nice fab work Yukon. I bet that build took a few hundred hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
pugs

havent had much progress on the IH since the motor id junk. also i been dealing with 83 GMC replacing the engine. so as soon as i get this done i will be geting back on the binder