The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
OutlawRider

Paint Guns

What are some viable options for a good quality/economical paint gun?

This gun needs to shoot a high quality finish. But I don't want an outrageous price tag. These are my own vehicles and I want it to come out good for the time that is going into them.

I've heard something about a Binx(sp?) 7?

What would be recommended? I'd love to stay under a 100 bucks but for a good gun I could break that.

It will be shooting frames, bodies, trailers, just about everything.
OutlawRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
ItsRandy

Re: Paint Guns

I bought a Kobalt (Lowes brand) gravity feed HVLP gun and it seems to work pretty good. Around $80.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
OutlawRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I bought a Kobalt (Lowes brand) gravity feed HVLP gun and it seems to work pretty good. Around $80.
I like it. I've been eying the devilbiss kit with two guns and 3 tips. Not sure though.

I've even thought of buying two guns, one for Primer/BC and one for CC.

I may be getting in over my head with that though.
80 bucks does sound good.
What it the tip size?
And can you put primer,BC,CC all through it?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
OutlawRider

I really like this setup I think even though it busts my price range by double.
http://www.amazon.com/DeVILBISS-MASTER-SPRAY-Finis... http://www.amazon.com/DeVILBISS-MASTER-SPRAY-Finis...Any thoughts?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

We bought a 3 gun setup from northern tool for about $80 or so. It may not be world class equipment, but offered all the standard features, seems well built and did just fine for the 3 cars we've used it on.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
hugger6933

I just went into this in another post just the other day. I recommend the bubble pack gun setup like you are talikng about , some times called a 10 piece set [with all the little stuff]. It includes 2 guns a 1.4 tip and 2.0 tip. There are however different kits and the second gun can have either a 1.7 or a1.8 or a 2.0 tip. I do have a body shop and the little inexpensive guns do a very good job. I know a lot of people would say that the way to go is with the 300 or 400 dollar gun but are you really gonna use it that much? TYake that exrta money and put it back either in the bank or in the gas tank or in the project, or in some cases if it had to be the 300 gun or nothing some would be without I'm sure. The main thing with this one as with all of them you have to take them apart after each use and clean them or it will jump up to bite you in the butt. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
OutlawRider

I thank all for the responses.
I made the mistake of posting this question in the wrong section. I didn't realize the site expanded as far as it did.
I've been reading over other paint gun threads and seeing the feedback they received.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
OutlawRider

I really do like this settup you pointed out hugger.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10-Pc-HV...item5ae8edf9fa
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
hugger6933

I may not have that exact kit but many kits like it are availible under different names but similar pricing. I would like to see a 2.0 tip in one of those guns cause you really need it with the epoxies and high builds that we use to get this old iron looking good. I have had several of these and they even have the same stamping in the handle up by where your thuumb goes. I think you would be satisfied with this gun. And welcome to you from one Arkansan to another. We [me and my son] looked at the college up there for him in your town but he chose elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
OutlawRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I may not have that exact kit but many kits like it are availible under different names but similar pricing. I would like to see a 2.0 tip in one of those guns cause you really need it with the epoxies and high builds that we use to get this old iron looking good. I have had several of these and they even have the same stamping in the handle up by where your thuumb goes. I think you would be satisfied with this gun. And welcome to you from one Arkansan to another. We [me and my son] looked at the college up there for him in your town but he chose elsewhere.
For the price, I can just buy a 15 dollar tip and still feel satisfied (found them on the site).
And thank you. It's a great college, just expensive. I went to ASU instead due to scholarships. Still going actually.
Thank you very much for the advice. If your ever through, hit me up.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
hugger6933

Outlawrider, My son did'nt end up at that school in your town I guess because it didnot cost enough, he ended up going to OBU witch is the most expensive private school in the whole state at just a tick under 30k per year. My daughter however she goes to ASU there in JB and loves it.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
OutlawRider

What is her name? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
hugger6933

Her name is clarissa she is in the bussiness sections I supose. She is taking courses to go into the business management areas of the workforce. She should be getting done in the fall of next year[I hope] Jim
Old 08-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
OutlawRider

Can't think of her off the top of my head but my best friend's wife just graduated from that department. She probably knows her.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawRider View Post
I like it. I've been eying the devilbiss kit with two guns and 3 tips. Not sure though.

I've even thought of buying two guns, one for Primer/BC and one for CC.

I may be getting in over my head with that though.
80 bucks does sound good.
What it the tip size?
And can you put primer,BC,CC all through it?
I think it has a 1.4 tip. I ran base coat and clear coat through it. For primer I bought a cheap 2.0 tip siphon gun from Harbor Freight, you will be sanding the primer anyway. The Harbor Freight gun was under $30 and for primer it worked pretty good and when you have problems with the gun they are so cheap you can toss it out and start with a fresh one. Make sure you have dry air, get a few disposable inline filters or water traps in series. Spray lots of primer, sand it off and your surfaces will be pretty flat. Wip it down with wax and grease remover. Spray some sealer, let it flash, mix the paint correctly an paint to your hearts con tent...it's fun. Whats the worse thing that can happen...you sand some more and fix it, not a big deal. It's really fun.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #16
OutlawRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I think it has a 1.4 tip. I ran base coat and clear coat through it. For primer I bought a cheap 2.0 tip siphon gun from Harbor Freight, you will be sanding the primer anyway. The Harbor Freight gun was under $30 and for primer it worked pretty good and when you have problems with the gun they are so cheap you can toss it out and start with a fresh one. Make sure you have dry air, get a few disposable inline filters or water traps in series. Spray lots of primer, sand it off and your surfaces will be pretty flat. Wip it down with wax and grease remover. Spray some sealer, let it flash, mix the paint correctly an paint to your hearts con tent...it's fun. Whats the worse thing that can happen...you sand some more and fix it, not a big deal. It's really fun.
I like the way you put it!