The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
11555wally

Steering Gear Replacement Issue

I took my 86 C10 into the local garage to have the steering gear replaced in the last 2 weeks. Had too much play in the steering wheel. After replacing it they could not get it to stop pulling to the right, They tried aligning the front end several times and could not get it to stop pulling a little to the right. They noticed it took a little more force to turn to the left than to the right. Then they noticed while idling that if they gave it a little gas that the steering wheel actually moved a little. They figured the rebuilt steering gear was to blame, so replaced it again. Same thing happened. BTW they bled the air out of the steering several times. They replaced it a 3rd time with a unit rebuilt by a different company and all seems well. They only charged me for the original replacement. Just thought I would pass that along. The whole process really tightened up the steering.
11555wally is offline   Reply With Quote