The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

suburban fuel lines onto a truck?

Hey guys!

How well would a set of EFI Suburban fuel lines fit onto a LWB truck? If I have to do a couple of minor bends, it would not be a concern. I am just thinking that it may be easier for me to get some EFI burb lines rather than trying to fab my own up with stainless steel line.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
KShortell

Why not get the fuel lines from an '87+ R/V series truck? Our trucks were EFI in '87 and the heavier models even later. Suburban frames are a little different than the truck frames. Plus, the tank is located in the rear between the frame rails, not outside the frame as in pickups.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Which is also where my tank is now located I got rid of the saddle tanks and put one in between the rear frame rails
Old 06-12-2005, 02:24 AM   #4
1976K5CHALET

When i cross this bridge again....

I will buy two fittings for the tbi that are the saginaw on one end and AN on the outlet side and run aeroquip style fittings and lines all the way to the tank...then i'll have the intank gm sending unit ends cut off and have AN fittings tig welded on.

I have twice...used junk yard K5's to be donors and retro'd those lines into older K5's for the conversion....the 76 was the worst as the fill tube issue required a lot of work to make a 87 up fit into a 76...but the wifes 90 burb just sent me into orbit...replaced the stock gm line-s twice....and twice they started leaking from the crimps. After the second time i bought two fittings from turbocity.com and ran the heavy wall fuel injection hose with a few clamps and called it good....so far....no issues. I just think the factory lines at the tbi itself are way to delicate and if every factory clamp is not in place you are asking for issues...the burb i a V series so they hover naturally near the xfer case stiffner rod...which seems to cause be my grief. The AN solution is the best as a guy could include two fuel blocks on the frame with the filter between these blocks...then you can goto your local cummins dealer and buy a couple sets of compu check fittings so you can easily check fuel psi before and after the filter...

Sorry if i seemed to ramble a bit but i have been there a couple of times and i belive there is a better way to go about this and these are just my thoughts....

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Hmm...

So you figure I should just run rubber line?

I have access to the right size of line in stainless steel. But I have heard that the stuff is nearly impossible to flare...