The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
AlbertaClassic

How much should I pay?

I have a chance to buy a near original 72 GMC 1500 long box. Has 3.73 rear end with original olive and white two tone. Attached is a picture of the SPID as well as a link to a YouTube video the seller sent me. What would be your top dollar?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=U4Bx9aqL7x8

Thanks in advance guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

AlbertaClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
AlbertaClassic

Re: How much should I pay?

Ttt

The truck has only been owned by on family, passed down from grandparents to grandchildren. Believed to be 118XXX original miles. The interior is fairly clean minus the rust on the floorboards and whoever a dumb idea it was to cut speakers in the door and cut the dash. I'm thinking $4000 American, thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
tev

Video appears to have been removed. Based on the description, I would jump on it for 4K. I also like long boxes, because I use my truck for the intended purpose. 4K seems low to me.
99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
tev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
AlbertaClassic

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
AlbertaClassic

Paint is fairly chipped in the bottom of the olive, and the middle white has a bit of surface rust on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
AlbertaClassic

One of the exterior
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
99turbogmc

At the end of the the day, it's a long box and will need work. Now if you are going to keep it like that, and use it as a truck, go ahead. If you plan on doing resto, buy something cheaper.

That's what I don't like about the 1970 swb I bought. It had a so so lsx swap, so so brake swap, so so paint ext. he wanted premium for the truck when I literally redoing all the stuff he thought was valuable to him.... I have to repaint it, sand it all down ext, so the brakes in the ext... Good luck with truck.. I' wouldn't go over 4
Posted via Mobile Device
99turbogmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Truck is decently equipped and looks very original. Is that a US or Canadian truck? If its in Alberta 4000.00 is a steal. If its a US truck in the States ( and you may well already know this ) that 4000 US will mushroom to 6500 CDN very quickly. Even at 6500 for a daily driver its great buy.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
DBK81

According to the serial number it's not a Candian truck, which isn't surprising, you don't find factory painted trucks of that age up here that aren't totally rusted out. If $4,000 CND, that's a steal, if $4,000 USD, it's an ok buy.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
AlbertaClassic

$4000 American is what I'm thinking I can get it for. Just south of the Canadian border. I may buy it for my place in the states to tow the boat and do all the work for a couple years till I get around to fixing it up more. Needs new valve cover gaskets. The dropped $3000 USD in it a couple years ago doing the suspension, brakes, and other stuff. Trying to figure out where they got it all done. They don't seem too mechanically inclined. If there is surface rust on the white paint in the middle, could it possibly be buffed out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
tev

Ok, just get on a creeper and roll around under it. Roll around a lot and look at it from all different angles. You're going to see oil drip, grease buildup, random crud and some frozen bolts. If that's all you see - meaning little to no real rust (I'm not talking isolated surface corrosion which exists on any vehicle that age), then get in and drive it. if it tracks straight, no weird shimmies or sounds, stays cool, idles well after, and pulls up hills without hesitation and backfires, then check all the lights and anything electrical for strange issues. Nothing of note? Now ask yourself, did you get that "feeling" when you drove it? If yes to those questions, just buy it. It's 4k. What else can you buy for 4k that looks and feels like that truck? It looks unmolested to me. It looks like something I'd buy to me. Will it need work? Of course it will. Every vintage car I've ever bought needed something, no matter what the PO said.

I'm just going on the very limited info in this post, but from here it's a really good looking truck for that money. Let me repeat, it looks unmolested - original colors and stance- just my thing. Rust could be a walk-away issue and you just gotta make a call. But if it's solid enough, think of all the **** you can do with a truck like that right away, including just cruising down country roads with the windows down so you hear the rumble a little better. I drive my 72 every chance I get - hauling yards of dirt, hunting, getting groceries, and picking up gas for the lawnmower. I look forward to saturday mornings just so I can drive it with a cup of coffee in my hand. It rivals my 911 for fun.
99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
tev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #12
frenchy51

If that truck isn't real rusty and I don't mean surface rust-jump on it. At that price it looks like a very good deal!
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
AlbertaClassic

Hey guys, looks like I'm going to be able to pick it up later this week or next week for $4000! I'm hoping to start a build thread in a couple weeks. Going in for LASIK eye correction next week so I'll have to take a few weeks off of crawling around 0: thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I just have one question more. What valve covers and air cleaner would you recommend? I was looking at a kit on Summit that I liked, but I'm a little green at this so input is appreciated. Thanks guys! I plan to get it and drive it like heck.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-900

👍
Posted via Mobile Device