The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

What did you get done 1/8/2012 edition

im still waiting in the shop for mine to be completed. THis was the weekend we celebrated my wifes 52nd birthday, so we had a party for her in a nice restaurant..nothing truck related at all
How about you all?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Squareforceone

Re: What did you get done 1/8/2012 edition

i ran out of gas and couldn't start my truck after putting in gas because the battery was low jumped it and was fine, went to my sisters house and got a whole load for the dump.
Squareforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
1LowToy

Got the garqge cleaned up a little (Very little) I made an old ice cart lay down and roll so I have another big cart to tote stuff out of the garage when I need to get at other stuff. That helped a lot. Put on a hidden hitch on my truck, now I just need a flip for the license plate to get to it and a couple of plugs for the wiring harness to the trailer. Started on framing out a speaker box for the back of the cab. I have to put that on hold until I get a radio head to fit it into the speaker box. The biggest laugh of the weekend was trying to dye the seat belts black with Rit dye. They started out blue. Now there are still blue?????????? Complete waste of time. Oh well I had to try
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
riz

I pulled the bucket seats out of the 81 and cleaned up the inside of the cab a bit. I also welded the underside of the rocker panels on my 82 K5. The K5 is going to move right into the body prep for paint. I've also been doing more research on the stereo components I have planned for the 81 shortbox as well and did some research on Dynamat for both vehicles.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Putting the finishing touches on my new garage, and ready to get the C-10 out of storage and back under my roof again! Can't wait to work on it this winter in the freshly heated garage!
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
craazy22

Cleaned up the garage with the wife and my two sons, man did I get thosr little boys tired today, they showered ate dinner and went straight to bed. My wife wants me to make them clean the garage every night now.
Posted via Mobile Device
02 chevy silverado z71 off road package
craazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
JRANGER

Well this weekend I did the following:

Removed and refitted all floor panels, floor panel supports, and Rocker Panels and Primed them with Weld Thru Primer to prepare for Welding. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=496904

Installed After Market Headlights http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502406

Tighten up the Transmission Pan screws to try to lose the weird little leak I have

Ran new solid bare metal ground wire for Stereo to get rid of the buzz (NO Luck!! erg!)
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
85burb

I had a pretty productive weekend. I installed new air cleaner element, cig lighter plug, and passenger side hinge pins and bushings. I also found out my front tires will not hold the rears back. Did burn out and left 3 marks.
Attached Images

91 chevy c10 suburban Lsa 5.3/4l60
2017 Silverado whipple 5.3
1964 Vw beetle
1974 vw beetle
85burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
TJBrown

Got the Sports Bumper off of a Blazer with the Brackets from the U Pull it and installed it. Also, got the Chevy Tail Gate put on and the GMC one is gone. Always bugged my having a GMC tailgate on the Chevy. Put a new Blinker Flasher in since the old one had a mind of its own. And that was about it.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
lanconcj

Road trip in the 86 from Anahuac to Frisco to watch the Sam Houston Bearkats play in the NCAA division 1 championship game. It was a great ride and a great game. Eat em up Kats!
lanconcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
cory d

in the past 2 weeks i have lowered my truck and made a rear bumper for it
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
pat386
misshape grape

Changed the oil in the pickup when I got home friday, started it up and retightened the header bolts. Took it to a local exhaust shop saturday and had the exhaust done from the headers back.

Sunday my brother and I took the rails out from under my bench seat to look into fabricating brackets to mount the seat on the floor with no brackets. That will be next weeks project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
BigMike608

installed a new a/c compressor and accumulator
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
81ratrodc10
house of chevy's

Finally finished puting my front end back together now gotta get an alinment and new tires
Posted via Mobile Device

"it's going to be an interesting ride home"
81ratrodc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
undr8ed

Found out most all aftermarket items for these trucks are garbage (well, the ones on the bay, lol) Put a new steering wheel in and it doesn't match the woodgrain like I thought it would. And found out that the upper part of my steering column (ignition/ 3-on-the-tree) is a good anti theft, since it wobbles...

I guess it was a weekend of being in reverse, lol
Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

We had to put our 13 year old dog down on Monday. He was a great little guy that we had for all but the first 8 weeks of his life. This was his second time having pancreatitis, and he just couldn't recover. My wife and I are devastated about losing him. We don't have kids. He essentially was our kid.

I have been working to replace the steering column in my truck with a rebuilt one. That was more fun than I ever had imagined. I needed to get it done before my inspection expired so that we could use the truck for moving our stuff to the house we have been renovating for the last year. That didn't happen because I pulled a muscle in my groin moving one of my toolboxes and couldn't crawl under the truck for a week.

After getting the new column installed I had to get the truck inspected. Since it expired while I was doing the work, I took it to the closest place rather than my usual place. Usually the process is 5 minutes or less, but this guy spent 15 or 20 minutes going over the truck, then failed it for a tiny pinhole in the muffler. Keep in mind that we don't have emissions testing, and my truck is exempt from everything except a safety inspection. It was very frustrating since it seemed that he was determined to find something to fail it for.

He wouldn't let me weld up the hole at home (he said it was illegal to weld on a muffler!), so I had to take it to a muffler shop to get a muffler installed. Normally I would do it myself, but my tools are scattered across two garages and a barn in two cities, so I had to pay someone else to do it. I really hate paying others to do something I can do myself!

I did manage to change the oil on the truck and two cars this week, but had to round up tools at one house and take them to the other house where the rest of the stuff was that I needed. Since the two houses are 30 minutes apart, it was challenging getting the cars and tools in the same place so I could get the work done.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been moving. We are about 1/2 or 2/3 done, but everything is a huge mess right now. I can't wait for this move to be over. Hopefully I'll be finished before the next time I have to do any oil changes...

Slonaker
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
875.3CHEVY

pulled my truck out the shop since its still summer like down here in sc.first time out since being bagged.big jump in motovation glad i did cause you cant really see it in a 19x19 shop.took some pics to roominate over.
Attached Images

875.3CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
TJBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
We had to put our 13 year old dog down on Monday. He was a great little guy that we had for all but the first 8 weeks of his life. This was his second time having pancreatitis, and he just couldn't recover. My wife and I are devastated about losing him. We don't have kids. He essentially was our kid.
Was in the same boat 2 years ago brother. Very tough choice to make. You two hang in there.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
TDS-MN

Well it was more than just a weekend project, as we started on Thursday night. But I took the '85 pickup over to a friend's place, where we could actually fit teh truck into the garage (that doesn't happen at my place, sadly).

The task was the u-joints in the front axle. I had yet another set that was worn out. The old ones were making a lot of noise and could even feel them thru the steering column if I tried to turn in 4WD or with hubs locked.

Much to our surprise, pretty much everything came apart without giving us any trouble. Pulled off the Warn locking hubs, and all the inner workings, pulled the front diff cover and drained some tired looking gear oil. Got driver side axle shaft out, that was the first night. Friday night we pulled the pass. side axle shaft, assmebled the new rotors to the hubs, and arranged the rest of the parts for axle installation on Saturday.

Began Saturday at a local shop. Had the old u-joints pressed out, and the new grease-able style u-joints pressed into the axles. I've never tried the greaseable ones before, and am hoping that keeping them lubed, will maybe get them to last longer than these usually do in this truck. I don't do hardly any off-roading, and am not reallly concerned if these are not as 'strong' as a solid-yoke u-joint. But I do need the 4WD on snowy roads and occasional other low-traction instances. Walked out of the shop a few dollars lighter, but with some nice tight u-joints, instead of the loose old ones, which had maybe 3/16" or so slop in them. Decided it was a good time for new calipers and pads and rotors up front. Would have liked to have put the new brake hoses on too, but just couldn't get the current ones loose from the bracket on the frame. A battle for another day, I guess.

Bled the brake system, and took it out for a quick road test. WOW! I had forgotten how nice and smooth the front end can be when the parts are working correctly. Was able to obtain all of the parts I needed via Napa and O'Reily locally, that was great. I haven't totalled everything up yet, but I think parts must have ended up between $250 and $280. I've paid for similar work to this on this same truck a few years ago, and it was $1200+ as I recall, so it felt really good to do it myself this time.

Took my buddy out for dinner in appreciation for his help and the use of his garage. Next project on the truck is looking to be the exhaust leak at driver side manifold. Either the donut gasket or the gasket at the manifold/head is leaking. I have spun a couple of the studs out so far, hoping that the others will come out as easily. Not sure when I'll get a chance to work on that, as this weather pattern we've been in, has been making things unseasonably warm, but acceptable for working on the truck at least. I fear that it's going to revert back to normal one of these days.
'85 K-10 w/ 305, 700r4, np208, and RUST!
SOLD Dec 2014
TDS-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
texas56

We got a few things done, Mostly interior stuff though.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Cue-Ball

Rewired my ignition system to try to solve an issue I've been having, then RE-wired it again when it turned out not to be what I thought after all.

Put in a new thermostat because the old one is sticking. Bought a high quality Mr. Gasket replacement that is, apparently, a piece of junk. It's opening way too soon and the truck isn't getting hot now. So it looks like I get to redo that job again too. Boy, I sure love doing the same repair multiple times. <sigh>
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBrown View Post
Was in the same boat 2 years ago brother. Very tough choice to make. You two hang in there.
Thanks. It has been more difficult than we had expected.

Slonaker
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas56 View Post
We got a few things done, Mostly interior stuff though.
Nice truck. Are the Boss 338's? What are the specs?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
texas56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
Nice truck. Are the Boss 338's? What are the specs?
Ridler 695s, 20x8.5s and 20x10s. Thanks for the comliments!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #25
cory d

today i get to swap out the leafs on my moms 86 4-runner
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote