The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Louisianagmfs

Roadster shop spec chassis

Just saw thus and was wondering if anyone was at the good guys in Columbus to check out the unveiling of the new budget chassis. It looks really nice and possibly a very good deal at $10k starting price.

http://roadstershop.com/product/full...-spec-chassis/
Attached Images

Louisianagmfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
11555wally

Re: Roadster shop spec chassis

Can't comment on their product but I did see their display. Looked like good quality and workmanship. Noticed several chassis vendors there but not looking to change mine. Sorry
11555wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Louisianagmfs

Thanks for response. I had just seen this and wanted to know more info if anyone had it. I've only seen roadster shop muscle car chassis in person and they looked nice, but 25k for a chassis it better be nice. I will be getting my trucks paint and body, interior sorted out before I'm ready for chassis mods, either being stock style parts, porter built, or a full chassis. Depending on how far I plan to go.
Louisianagmfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
abohler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisianagmfs View Post
Thanks for response. I had just seen this and wanted to know more info if anyone had it. I've only seen roadster shop muscle car chassis in person and they looked nice, but 25k for a chassis it better be nice. I will be getting my trucks paint and body, interior sorted out before I'm ready for chassis mods, either being stock style parts, porter built, or a full chassis. Depending on how far I plan to go.
I keep seeing the mention of the 10K chassis shooting up to a total cost of 25k. Most of the roadster shop chassis are 4 linked, rear end, control arms, bags/shocks, rack and pinion, etc. Seems like a steal. Not sure where this 25k number keeps coming from. Can anyone elaborate?
abohler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abohler1 View Post
I keep seeing the mention of the 10K chassis shooting up to a total cost of 25k. Most of the roadster shop chassis are 4 linked, rear end, control arms, bags/shocks, rack and pinion, etc. Seems like a steal. Not sure where this 25k number keeps coming from. Can anyone elaborate?
It adds up quick once you start optioning the higher end brake packages and 3rd members. I was thinking of doing a spec chassis for my GMC and sticking with a nice cruiser brake setup and it came to around $15k.

The issue I have with the spec chassis is that I wanted an aggressive static drop and neither of the two options they have will really work for that. One option is laying pinch welds on bags, and other is mostly stock ride height. I had a bunch of discussions with them on this and the reason they can get the spec at that lower price point is they have the frame rails pre stamped by another company and that eliminates custom options.

The Fast Track chassis I have in the other truck ends up only being about $2k more than the spec (if you option them the same way) and RS will customize it any way you'd like. For example, they swapped the rear crossmember for a built-in trailer hitch on mine. But most guys going for the spec chassis are loading them up with top end brakes, etc. and that does get it close to the $30k mark.

I've put close to 2000 miles on my RS truck in the last two weeks and I can tell you that its well worth it if you want to do fast, comfortable, long trips.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
abohler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
It adds up quick once you start optioning the higher end brake packages and 3rd members. I was thinking of doing a spec chassis for my GMC and sticking with a nice cruiser brake setup and it came to around $15k.

The issue I have with the spec chassis is that I wanted an aggressive static drop and neither of the two options they have will really work for that. One option is laying pinch welds on bags, and other is mostly stock ride height. I had a bunch of discussions with them on this and the reason they can get the spec at that lower price point is they have the frame rails pre stamped by another company and that eliminates custom options.

The Fast Track chassis I have in the other truck ends up only being about $2k more than the spec (if you option them the same way) and RS will customize it any way you'd like. For example, they swapped the rear crossmember for a built-in trailer hitch on mine. But most guys going for the spec chassis are loading them up with top end brakes, etc. and that does get it close to the $30k mark.

I've put close to 2000 miles on my RS truck in the last two weeks and I can tell you that its well worth it if you want to do fast, comfortable, long trips.
I read through your thread. Great work! Thanks for the insight here. Appreciate it.

It's too bad, I just moved from San Jose to Raleigh a couple years ago. Would love to pick your brain. Left DTSJ for work with a tech company that also has a good footprint out here. Used to be on 7th and Santa Clara.
abohler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abohler1 View Post
I read through your thread. Great work! Thanks for the insight here. Appreciate it.

It's too bad, I just moved from San Jose to Raleigh a couple years ago. Would love to pick your brain. Left DTSJ for work with a tech company that also has a good footprint out here. Used to be on 7th and Santa Clara.
Thanks! Next time you are out here send me a PM.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote