The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Huck

Red face How to improve you mileage

I am a bit of a cheap SOB when it comes to gas so perhaps some of you might want to consider some of my tried and true methods of squeezing the last drop out of a gallon of gas.
1--Hit your right foot with a big hammer ---it will become sensative and you wouldn't want to push very hard on the gas pedal!
2--Get rid of them dam big tires---the bigger, the more difficult it is to get them to roll. Stock is a 235X75R15. Anything bigger will hurt your mileage. You could go a bit narrower and get a little benefit but I like the breaking of the stock size.
3--Inflate the tires to 2-3 lbs above the truck mafg recommended pressure. Ie if it's 30lbs---run them at 33. You will get a little less resistance to rolling.
4-- Tune it up---new plugs, wires, points, condenser, fuel filter, air filter. If your carb has been used for several years, consider having it rebuilt by a good carb rebuilder. Ask them to set it lean. You could get 3-5mpg improvement from a good tuneup and carb rebuild!!
5--When you think that duals, headers, edelbrock intake, etc is helping your HP--maybe but it is hurting your mpg. Trust me, the stock intake has smaller primary carb holes that work like a NASCAR restrictor plate. You still have the low end torque but you save some MPG. Headers help in high rpm which you RARELY get into or need. The stock Rams Horns are decent flow tubes.
6--If you are running 373--411--456 rear gears---why are you burning the gas without the benefit?? If you tow a lot, 373 is adequate for 90% of towing needs. So, how many hours a month do you tow a heavy load???
7--Most of the transmissions we have are 3-4 speeds with a 1-to-1 final gear. An overdrive will cut your final gear by 20% which will give you mpg!!
8--Don't waste money on aftermarket MPG devices, addatives, etc. They have all proved to be crap!
9-- If you run with an open bed, get a bed cover. That alone saved me 1-2mpg over 2 years of testing at highway speeds.
10-- Don't waste money on premium gas. Your truck will run fine on regular if you tune it accordingly. If not, you have too much cam shaft for street use.
11-- Run highway at 65 rather then 75. I loose 1-2 mpg when I run over 70.
12--SEE NUMBER 1 AND START AGAIN.
HUCK
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote