The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
78scottsdale

Long Awaited Transformation

Before my deployment, I had bought a 1978 Scottsdale for 4500. I know most will think I over paid, and maybe I did. But I love this truck. It's pretty mint, clean all around. I finally drove it for the first time in a year since I bought it. Now that passion for modifying vehicles has once again been lit. So I have a few questions in reguards to suspensions components and body parts.
I wanna lower the truck a tad and want to know the best way to achieve this as well as who makes good parts.
And I need to do a bit of work on the stepside bed. New wood, and a nasty dent on the driver stepside fender.
Does anyone know if it's possible to install a six speed into this truck?
It was originally a 305 switched to a 350. The transmission from what the list says, was a 3 speed on the column? Now it's a 4 speed with that pita mechanical clutch I fear of breaking. Anyone make a hydraulic clutch or should I stick with mechanical?
Posted via Mobile Device
78scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
primrrd

Re: Long Awaited Transformation

howdy Scottsdale, Welcome the the board.
Show us some pix now that the square truck bug has bit you.
as for the tranny questions... the pat answer is:
" anything is possible, it just depends on the heft of your wallet!"
primrrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
irishman999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78scottsdale View Post
Before my deployment, I had bought a 1978 Scottsdale for 4500. I know most will think I over paid, and maybe I did. But I love this truck. It's pretty mint, clean all around. I finally drove it for the first time in a year since I bought it. Now that passion for modifying vehicles has once again been lit. So I have a few questions in reguards to suspensions components and body parts.
I wanna lower the truck a tad and want to know the best way to achieve this as well as who makes good parts.
And I need to do a bit of work on the stepside bed. New wood, and a nasty dent on the driver stepside fender.
Does anyone know if it's possible to install a six speed into this truck?
It was originally a 305 switched to a 350. The transmission from what the list says, was a 3 speed on the column? Now it's a 4 speed with that pita mechanical clutch I fear of breaking. Anyone make a hydraulic clutch or should I stick with mechanical?
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty sure you can find a hydraulic set up in the parts yard, 85 or 86 they switched over to hydraulic.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
lilpoindexter

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=300087
The T-56's are hydraulic clutch. I sort of used this article as the basis for my hydraulic clutch T5 in my '78. Basically you need to mount a master to your firewall and connect it to the slave on the trans. You just need to look at it a little bit. I used an '87 bellhousing and the master cyl from an '88, i used the line from an '88, but I had to bend it up something ugly. If you are near any farm supply places, they can whip you up a hydraulic line, or by the same token any place that services AC or 18 wheelers can make you a custom line for a few bucks. The clutch in my truck feels like maybe it doesn't completely disengage, but then again I'm using a beat up original 1983 camaro T5.
I think shifting gears is pretty cool, but to be honest with you...on the next one I'd probably plop in a 700r4...these trucks aren't sports cars, and I live in the city with lots of traffic, so a automatic, while losing cool points, would be a lot easier to drive.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
78scottsdale

I'll post pics soon, I wanna get those questions figured out first. I'm overwhelmed to be home finally and can't wait to work on the Scottsdale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
terryj

From one veteran to another, "Welcome home and a heart felt "Thank You" for your service.

Hope all works out on the Scottsdale, mine is an 83 3/4 ton Scottsdale with a little of a 100K on it. It has the 350 HD engine and the TH400 tranny.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
78scottsdale

Thanks terryj and others for quick responses. Who makes a good product in regards to front and rear suspension components?
Posted via Mobile Device