The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
68c10owner

85` pwr windows and locks in my 83?

My buddy picked up a 85 dually cheap and is only using the chassis and running gear. He said he would make me a good deal on the factory power windows and power locks. What all would I need from the 85 truck to put them in my 83? Will they fit in my original scottsdale doors or should i just swap doors too?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
BowDown916

Re: 85` pwr windows and locks in my 83?

I was thinking on doing the samething,swapping not electric power windows for ones that are for my 86 scottsdale... but you would need to make sure the motors and everything else like harness are in good conditions or else you gonna end up spending more $$ then if you just had bough the motors and harness and just use your original doors... i dont have power windows,but i run wires for my shaved door kit...
BowDown916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown916 View Post
I was thinking on doing the samething,swapping not electric power windows for ones that are for my 86 scottsdale... but you would need to make sure the motors and everything else like harness are in good conditions or else you gonna end up spending more $$ then if you just had bough the motors and harness and just use your original doors... i dont have power windows,but i run wires for my shaved door kit...
The truck is a runner so I can test them out but I`m sure they are good.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
BowDown916

that be great! ... when i was looking for power window doors at picknpull most of then something was missing or bad,so i just decide to keep mine manually ...
BowDown916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

If the power windows and door locks work perfectly that would be unusual for an old truck. There are lots of parts: door lock actuators, power window motors, switches, and harness/connectors, rubber door boot, regulators, etc. You should expect to replace some or most of these components over time, so I would factor that into the equation. If you start pricing these replacement components with GM OEM or Delco parts, then the cost of rehab on an old system might not make sense.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote