The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
68 P.O.S.

Recommended disc conversion kit

Can I get your stories of doing the front disc brake conversions and any problems you may have run into. Also, any recommendations of who I should buy my disc conversion kit from?
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
PumiceMan

Re: Recommended disc conversion kit

I don't know what kind of time frame you're in, but I'm just getting started on my conversion. I decided to do a whole front end rebuild at the same time. I haven't had the the truck long, and it looked like all original ball joints and rod ends. Right now I'm still pulling off old stuff and cleaning up what I'm going to reuse (mostly just the control arms).

The disc brake kit I got was the 2 1/2 inch drop spindle kit from Classic Performance Products. I've read a few posts on this board that knocked them in the past, but I took a chance anyway, and their sprices were reasonable. All the parts look good so far, although I haven't gotten to assembly yet. They also threw in some extras and upgrades that I didn't pay for, so I can't complain there. Kit comes with spindles, rotors, calipers, pads, seals, bearings, hoses, dust shields, all new ball joints, rod ends, adj sleeves, and all hardware. I also ordered the new booster / master cylinder / prop valve, which came preassembled. The upper and lower cross shafts and new coils I got from Classic Industries (during a sale). So far everything looks great, I'm just struggling with old hardware!

I know that's not much info for you - like I said, I'm just getting started. Feel free to PM me if you got any questions about the kit. If I get the rebuild done soon, I may be able to post more info.

Living the dream
PumiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Bob Moore

68 - I like using junkyard parts when I make big changes. I would recommend buying a complete front cradle from a 73 to 87 pickup/suburban. I found an 85 C10 that was hit in the rear and had low miles. The front end was VERY clean and quite cheap.

I was able to tear it down and clean all the parts while still driving my truck. I ordered drop spindles and springs from Early Classics. I put in new ball joints, turned the rotors, painted everything, and reassembled the cradle.

I then brought the truck in the garage, supported it properly and changed out the cradles. I knew there would be no surprises. Drilled the 2 holes as required and bolted in the new one. Nice tight steering, new brakes and shocks. What a difference.

I highly recommend ECE. Good prices and great customer support.
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
raiders3581

Well i also bought from cpp and although i didnt install my self, my cousin is a better mechanic than i am, He said everything was great. I got the drop disc brake spindles with the power boster combo, have had for couple years now no problems
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
2nd_wnd

I'm doing the same thing my new front end should be here today or early next week. it's an 81 c-10 that was torched right off the front of the truck. Took the old one out and will just bolt it right up to my frame. then I', going to rip a-arms off and replace all the rubber bushing, ball joint and etc.

Can't wait to get it all back together so I can start tearing the rear apart.

How much would a 72 front suspension be worth completely intact?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Trey`

Early Classic Enterprises. I had no problems.

"We, the unwilling, led by the unquailified, have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt, the impossible with nothing"
Trey` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

Does anybody make them for 3/4 8 lug ?
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
68 P.O.S.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I've decided to wait on the conversion. My bed is pretty bad so I need to take care of that instead. My new exhaust is supporting some of the bed weight on the drivers side and I don't want it to break the mounts. Does anybody happen to have an available short step bed?
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote