The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
sider68

Tire Question

Sorry guys and girls but this is a Dodge tire question.You always seem to have answers so I didnt know where else to turn.
The original factory tires were 245/70/17 Michelin LTX All Season.They didnt handle the road well especially in wet conditions.The tire guy had quite a few factory take off sets that people automatically replaced when they bought a new truck
The replacements I got were Yokohama Geolander All Terrain 265 /70/17.When I get around 40 miles or 70 kms per hour I get a vibration I feel not only co,ming out of the steering wheel but floor as well.

Please advise and would the 245 to 265 make any difference?It is a 2006 Dodge ram 4 by 4
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Cobraguy

Re: Tire Question

Where did you have the tires mounted & balanced? The shop most likely didn't dynamic balance the tire & wheel assembly. If they did you may need to have them match mounted, this is where the heavy spot of the tire is mounted to the light side of the wheel. This will take special equipment like a Hunter Road Force Balancer & may cost extra $$$. Also if this is a 4X4 do you have a steering shock to help remove road shock?
Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

wider tires should make no difference at all
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
sider68

They balanced the tire when I had them installed.The first time they admoitted they goofed and rebalanced the front.It made it a bit better.The second time I left the truck there for a day and they were suppose to take all four off and rebalance but it did not help.
I,m really frustrated.I asked if the more agressive tread would give me a rougher ride and they said NO.They have agreed to swap these tires for something else.I have a trip coming up to the USA and if these vibrate at 40 miles just think of what will happen on the I 75 at 70 to 80 miles an hour.
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote