The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Bad61c10

Crossmember swap

Hello I have a 61 c10 and I bought a 83 crossmember for it and when I took the crossmember off the 83 I took all the body panels off so I could get to the bolts easier. Do I have to take all the body panels off of my 61, if so is there an easy way to do that. This is my first truck and I'm only 16 so I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I am willing to learn.
Also since the 83 has a 5 lug bolt pattern I need to change the back as well, is there a kit that I could buy?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad61c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
62step

Re: Crossmember swap

I believe you take the front fenders off, then the front 'clip' bolted the fire wall and the frame with two bolts. Mine was apart already when I started working on mine, but I would assume that it is much, much easier taking the front clip off.

They make 5lug axles, but if I were you, i'd get a rear alxe from the donor truck, I'm not sure on lengths and such though..

Good luck! Have fun!
62step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
65Gregg

I didn't take any sheet metal off of mine when I switched to a later crossmember. Is a 61 frame as wide as the later years?

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Bad61c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
I didn't take any sheet metal off of mine when I switched to a later crossmember. Is a 61 frame as wide as the later years?
That's good to know! I was just worried about not getting it back together, did you have a problem reaching any of the bolts
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad61c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
thomas_a_reed

I was pulling the engine and trans at the same time when I did mine so I had the core support and bumper removed.. Made it pretty easy to get to all the bolts and just kinda roll the old one out and the new one under... It a super easy swap for even a beginner especially with all the info on this site .. On the rear I had my stock re drilled to the 5 lug pattern my a local machine shop.. Best of luck...
03 SIERRA 4X4 STEP SIDE EXTRA CAB 5.3 AUTO( NEW DD)
09 CHEVY COBALT W2.2 AUTO (GF'S DAILY DRIVER)
thomas_a_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
forestb

When I put my new crossmember in I left in all the sheet mettle and even the engine, (though I would not recommend it), I would recommend leaving all the sheet mettle in. I have never seen a kit that will convert a 61 rear end into a 5 lug.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here's a thread you might find helpful:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ont+suspension
Old 09-05-2015, 01:49 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are no conversion axles for the Eaton HO32/33 differential.

If you want to use the '83 10 bolt or any other differential with the 5 x 5" wheel stud pattern, I make trailing arm mounts but nothing for the panhard bar yet. Changing the differential will require cutting and welding and making sure the pinion angle is absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad61c10 View Post
Hello I have a 61 c10 and I bought a 83 crossmember for it and when I took the crossmember off the 83 I took all the body panels off so I could get to the bolts easier. Do I have to take all the body panels off of my 61, if so is there an easy way to do that. This is my first truck and I'm only 16 so I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I am willing to learn.
Also since the 83 has a 5 lug bolt pattern I need to change the back as well, is there a kit that I could buy?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad61c10 View Post
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I sent my axles to moser they plugged and re drilled for 90 bucks , I had a hard time finding a local shop to do the job
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote