The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Fan shroud info clarification

Here is information I recieved from ECE Technical Support. Does this mean that the distance between the radiator and motor is an inch less or the fan shroud is an inch closer to the motor?

Tim, the only difference between the two shrouds is the A/C model is about an inch shorter between the radiaitor and motor.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
IIRC, A/C trucks came with a fan clutch, which would move the fan forward....an inch or so. This would make the space from the fan to the rad smaller, and the shroud needs to be an inch shorter too. You want your fan blades to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud for max cooling.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
IIRC, A/C trucks came with a fan clutch, which would move the fan forward....an inch or so. This would make the space from the fan to the rad smaller, and the shroud needs to be an inch shorter too. You want your fan blades to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud for max cooling.
I thought the same about the length and clutch but have you looked at the non-clutch spacer? It has to be 3" long and the bolting points on the clutch fan are probably 2". Tonight I will measure the three clutches I have but I don't have a fixed spacer. I will also measure the radiator to motor depth of the fan shroud.
Longhorn Man I am not disagreeing with you since I don't have any hard facts but it would be nice to have this information for others in the future. I can make things work but I would rather understand why and how they work.
__________________
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
Like I said...IIRC....I am commonly wrong on details.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Like I said...IIRC....I am commonly wrong on details.
this is one acronym I never seem to remember.
__________________
Old 07-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

LUV2XCLR8's Avatar

Location: Maple Grove, TN (West Side)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
this is one acronym I never seem to remember.
If
Re
Call

__________________
Owner/Op: "TN Classic Transport Carriers"
The Toy: "Square Vette" 72 Hybrid Blazer
Toy Barn: "LuvShack" 40 x 60 x 20 Shop
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
lol...OK
If I Remember Correctly

IIRR
If I Remember Right
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
IIRC, A/C trucks came with a fan clutch, which would move the fan forward....an inch or so. This would make the space from the fan to the rad smaller, and the shroud needs to be an inch shorter too. You want your fan blades to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud for max cooling.

Final answer from ECE Tech. And the answer does not concern the fan or clutch, sort of.

***No, exactly the opposite. The A/C shroud is shorter, leaving more room for
compressor/crank pullies, belts etc.***

ECE Tech, does this mean the A/C fan shroud is an inch closer to the motor? What is the reason for the difference in the depth of the fan shrouds. Does it have to do with fixed or clutch fans? Thanks for your time and effort.

Tim Olmstead
Very Hot Sacramento
__________________
Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
if the fan sticks out a foot from the engine, what does it matter if there is another belt and a compressor mounted up over a valve cover?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 AM   #10
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
if the fan sticks out a foot from the engine, what does it matter if there is another belt and a compressor mounted up over a valve cover?
...just the messenger! Maybe the non-AC trucks did not come with the fan half in and half out. Gotta find some engine pics of quality restorations. Who is the Canadian guy on Speed that does the killer restorations and a car show? He should know.
__________________
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
StingRay
Senior Member

StingRay's Avatar

Location: Saskatoon,SK,Canada
The show is dream car garage.
__________________
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

badpeanut's Avatar

Location: ND
My theory is that AC trucks had 4-row radiators which are bigger hence requiring a shorter shroud.
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut
My theory is that AC trucks had 4-row radiators which are bigger hence requiring a shorter shroud.
Darn another excellent answer. Are there different upper radiator mounting brackets for a 4-row vs smaller radiator? Tonight I will measure the depth of the shroud I have starting from the upper mounting points to the edge of the fan opening. Can some of you do the same and post your finding? This information should help other member in the future.

Next question is what is the differnece of the installed length of a fixed and clutch fan?
__________________
Old 07-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #14
matthufham
Registered User

Location: Carl Junction, Missouri
don't ac trucks have a long water pump, and non ac trucks have a short water pump, hence the 1 inch difference. that's how the p/o of my truck explained his home made alternator bracket.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Stocker's Avatar

Location: Jefferson State
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut
My theory is that AC trucks had 4-row radiators which are bigger hence requiring a shorter shroud.
My A/C truck had its original 3-row radiator until last fall....
__________________
- Mike -

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Stocker's Avatar

Location: Jefferson State
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Tonight I will measure the depth of the shroud I have starting from the upper mounting points to the edge of the fan opening. Can some of you do the same and post your finding?
Not sure exactly what you mean... I measured mine from front top center of the shroud (at the lip, next to the top center of the radiator) straight back to the opening for the fan. Nine inches.
__________________

Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #17
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
Not sure exactly what you mean... I measured mine from front top center of the shroud (at the lip, next to the top center of the radiator) straight back to the opening for the fan. Nine inches.
The only easily accessable common mounting point I could think of was the upper radiator bracket (see pic). As you can see from the common mounting point to the opening edge is approximately 4.5" (see pics). If ECE is correct there should be a fan shroud that is either 3.5" or 5.5" measured from the same points. You can take this measurement without removing anything. Thanks for everyones help.
Attached Images

__________________
Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
don't ac trucks have a long water pump, and non ac trucks have a short water pump, hence the 1 inch difference. that's how the p/o of my truck explained his home made alternator bracket.
Trucks didn't see long water pumps untill 73, regardless of engine, a/c option, or anything else. Cars got the long pump in 69, with the exception of the corevette which chainged even later than the trucks.
tomatocity, i wasn't directing that at you....just in general...I know you were just relaying the info..my fault, I need to reword my thoughts sometimes.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #19
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
tomatocity, i wasn't directing that at you....just in general...I know you were just relaying the info..my fault, I need to reword my thoughts sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Hey no offense taken. Glad to share whatever input we have. Better than talking to ourselves (man that would be a boring conversation for me).
__________________
Old 07-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #20
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
The show is dream car garage.
Thanks StingRay.
__________________
Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #21
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Stocker's Avatar

Location: Jefferson State
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
The only easily accessable common mounting point I could think of was the upper radiator bracket (see pic). As you can see from the common mounting point to the opening edge is approximately 4.5" (see pics). If ECE is correct there should be a fan shroud that is either 3.5" or 5.5" measured from the same points. You can take this measurement without removing anything. Thanks for everyones help.
This measurement on mine is 7 3/4".
__________________

Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 AM   #22
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
This measurement on mine is 7 3/4".
This is on your K20 SBC? Now there is another question. Do 4x4 and 2WD use the same shrouds? Hmmmmmmm!
__________________
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Stocker's Avatar

Location: Jefferson State
Tomatocity, I should add that my shroud does not look like the one in your pics. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to describe it. Rather than the sudden transition a couple inches from the fan opening, mine flows smoothly from the attachment points to the fan opening. HTH!
__________________

Old 07-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #24
tomatocity
Registered User

tomatocity's Avatar

Location: Sacramento CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
Tomatocity, I should add that my shroud does not look like the one in your pics. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to describe it. Rather than the sudden transition a couple inches from the fan opening, mine flows smoothly from the attachment points to the fan opening. HTH!
Yes I just checked ECE and the show a different shroud for a 4WD vs 2WD. Is a 4WD engine set back farther tha a 2WD? Thanks
__________________
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #25
70short/step
Registered User

70short/step's Avatar

Location: Stockton, CA
Yes 4X4 have the engine set back further
For every person with a spark of genius, There are a hundred with ignition trouble.

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmarks