The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
tomatocity

Fan shroud info clarification

Here is information I recieved from ECE Technical Support. Does this mean that the distance between the radiator and motor is an inch less or the fan shroud is an inch closer to the motor?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tim, the only difference between the two shrouds is the A/C model is about an inch shorter between the radiaitor and motor.

----- Original Message -----
To: techquestions@earlyclassic.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: Technical Question

Hello ECE Tech,
I need to purchase a fan shroud for my 1970 C10 2WD 350 w/AC. I noticed you have two a different fan shrouds, one for w/AC (11-3901443) and one for w/o AC (3889079). What is the difference in the fan shrouds?
Tim Olmstead
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

IIRC, A/C trucks came with a fan clutch, which would move the fan forward....an inch or so. This would make the space from the fan to the rad smaller, and the shroud needs to be an inch shorter too. You want your fan blades to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud for max cooling.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
IIRC, A/C trucks came with a fan clutch, which would move the fan forward....an inch or so. This would make the space from the fan to the rad smaller, and the shroud needs to be an inch shorter too. You want your fan blades to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud for max cooling.
I thought the same about the length and clutch but have you looked at the non-clutch spacer? It has to be 3" long and the bolting points on the clutch fan are probably 2". Tonight I will measure the three clutches I have but I don't have a fixed spacer. I will also measure the radiator to motor depth of the fan shroud.
Longhorn Man I am not disagreeing with you since I don't have any hard facts but it would be nice to have this information for others in the future. I can make things work but I would rather understand why and how they work.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

Like I said...IIRC....I am commonly wrong on details.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
tomatocity

Quote:
Like I said...IIRC....I am commonly wrong on details.
this is one acronym I never seem to remember.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
this is one acronym I never seem to remember.
If
I
Re
Call

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

lol...OK
If I Remember Correctly

IIRR
If I Remember Right
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
tomatocity

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final answer from ECE Tech. And the answer does not concern the fan or clutch, sort of.

***No, exactly the opposite. The A/C shroud is shorter, leaving more room for
compressor/crank pullies, belts etc.***

----- Original Message -----
To: "Tech Questions" <techquestions@earlyclassic.com>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Technical Question

ECE Tech, does this mean the A/C fan shroud is an inch closer to the motor? What is the reason for the difference in the depth of the fan shrouds. Does it have to do with fixed or clutch fans? Thanks for your time and effort.

Tim Olmstead
Very Hot Sacramento
Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

if the fan sticks out a foot from the engine, what does it matter if there is another belt and a compressor mounted up over a valve cover?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 AM   #10
tomatocity

Quote:
if the fan sticks out a foot from the engine, what does it matter if there is another belt and a compressor mounted up over a valve cover?
...just the messenger! Maybe the non-AC trucks did not come with the fan half in and half out. Gotta find some engine pics of quality restorations. Who is the Canadian guy on Speed that does the killer restorations and a car show? He should know.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
StingRay

The show is dream car garage.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

My theory is that AC trucks had 4-row radiators which are bigger hence requiring a shorter shroud.
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut
My theory is that AC trucks had 4-row radiators which are bigger hence requiring a shorter shroud.
Darn another excellent answer. Are there different upper radiator mounting brackets for a 4-row vs smaller radiator? Tonight I will measure the depth of the shroud I have starting from the upper mounting points to the edge of the fan opening. Can some of you do the same and post your finding? This information should help other member in the future.

Next question is what is the differnece of the installed length of a fixed and clutch fan?
Old 07-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #14
matthufham

don't ac trucks have a long water pump, and non ac trucks have a short water pump, hence the 1 inch difference. that's how the p/o of my truck explained his home made alternator bracket.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut
My A/C truck had its original 3-row radiator until last fall....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Tonight I will measure the depth of the shroud I have starting from the upper mounting points to the edge of the fan opening. Can some of you do the same and post your finding?
Not sure exactly what you mean... I measured mine from front top center of the shroud (at the lip, next to the top center of the radiator) straight back to the opening for the fan. Nine inches.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #17
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
Not sure exactly what you mean... I measured mine from front top center of the shroud (at the lip, next to the top center of the radiator) straight back to the opening for the fan. Nine inches.
The only easily accessable common mounting point I could think of was the upper radiator bracket (see pic). As you can see from the common mounting point to the opening edge is approximately 4.5" (see pics). If ECE is correct there should be a fan shroud that is either 3.5" or 5.5" measured from the same points. You can take this measurement without removing anything. Thanks for everyones help.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
don't ac trucks have a long water pump, and non ac trucks have a short water pump, hence the 1 inch difference. that's how the p/o of my truck explained his home made alternator bracket.
Trucks didn't see long water pumps untill 73, regardless of engine, a/c option, or anything else. Cars got the long pump in 69, with the exception of the corevette which chainged even later than the trucks.
tomatocity, i wasn't directing that at you....just in general...I know you were just relaying the info..my fault, I need to reword my thoughts sometimes.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #19
tomatocity

tomatocity, i wasn't directing that at you....just in general...I know you were just relaying the info..my fault, I need to reword my thoughts sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Hey no offense taken. Glad to share whatever input we have. Better than talking to ourselves (man that would be a boring conversation for me).
Old 07-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #20
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
The show is dream car garage.
Thanks StingRay.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #21
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
The only easily accessable common mounting point I could think of was the upper radiator bracket (see pic). As you can see from the common mounting point to the opening edge is approximately 4.5" (see pics). If ECE is correct there should be a fan shroud that is either 3.5" or 5.5" measured from the same points. You can take this measurement without removing anything. Thanks for everyones help.
This measurement on mine is 7 3/4".

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 AM   #22
tomatocity

Quote:
This measurement on mine is 7 3/4".
This is on your K20 SBC? Now there is another question. Do 4x4 and 2WD use the same shrouds? Hmmmmmmm!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Tomatocity, I should add that my shroud does not look like the one in your pics. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to describe it. Rather than the sudden transition a couple inches from the fan opening, mine flows smoothly from the attachment points to the fan opening. HTH!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #24
tomatocity

Quote:
Tomatocity, I should add that my shroud does not look like the one in your pics. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to describe it. Rather than the sudden transition a couple inches from the fan opening, mine flows smoothly from the attachment points to the fan opening. HTH!
Yes I just checked ECE and the show a different shroud for a 4WD vs 2WD. Is a 4WD engine set back farther tha a 2WD? Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #25
70short/step

Yes 4X4 have the engine set back further

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote