The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Fuel line shut off?

I like to layer my defenses. When I get my truck running, I plan to use it for hauling, some running around in, dates, and when I start back to hunting this coming fall.

I plan to incorporate these safeguards: battery disconnect switch under the dash, battery terminal disconnects, removal of my shift lever (take it with me as it's 3 OTT), and even chaining the rear axle to a tree.

If I was to put in a fuel line cut off valve behind the seat (in cab tank) what sort of valve should I use? I realize the truck could still drive until the fuel in the line is used up....would that harm the truck? How hard would it be to start again if that happened?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: Fuel line shut off?

Sounds like some good ideas. It will not hurt a carbureted engine to run out of gas, but it will take some time for the fuel pump to refill everything when it is started again. Extended cranking time, as long as you have a good battery, it will start.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
suspect

I'm running a valve like this inline. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...2erl/overview/

I forgot I had it closed once and started the engine up. Rear mount tank, It ran for about 1-1 1/2 min. I realized what happened and opened it. I cranked the engine over for about 5-8 sec and it fired back up.

Holley 670 Street Avenger
Carter Mechanical fuel pump
8 AN Main Fuel line to pump, 6 AN from pump to carb

Also, I think it's good to get security ideas from everyone, but I wouldn't reveal all the securities that you use on your truck.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

A good way to keep opportunistic petty thieves from trying to take a vehicle is to install an alarm system but for really determined thieves, there's no stopping them. They'll find a way. So if you have a lot of money invested and the truck is valuable, be sure and insure it with a reputable antique vehicle insurance company.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
bigmac73

i think the 3OTT will be your most security, most derilects these days have no clue about them or how to drive them

but i do agree with a fuel shutoff swtich
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Thanks guys!

I don't plan to share my anti theft devices with anyone but those on here.

I agree that the 3 OTT is the best anti theft idea...that's what mine is and when I (hopefully) take it hunting this year, parking in the woods, I can just remove the shifter and take that along. Good luck using the transmission!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Thanks guys!

I don't plan to share my anti theft devices with anyone but those on here.

I agree that the 3 OTT is the best anti theft idea...that's what mine is and when I (hopefully) take it hunting this year, parking in the woods, I can just remove the shifter and take that along. Good luck using the transmission!
When I have my truck out hunting - which is often in the fall - I always figure who would be stupid enough to try to steal or even try to tamper with my truck? I mean think about it. Both you and the nefarious individual both know that you are armed. And except for when I'm out on the prarie pheasant hunting where you can see a couple of miles in each direction, you could be just about to step out of the woods and catch the person in the act. With a loaded gun in your hands.

Talk about a deterrent.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
In The Ten Ring

All true my friend but most criminals aren't very smart.....
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
All true my friend but most criminals aren't very smart.....
These days, they're getting smarter. Lots of money involved and these guys are not petty thieves. I saw a documentary on tv where it took an ex car thief no longer than 30 seconds to get a vehicle running with just about any device available to try to stop him. If you can think of a way to keep the vehicle from starting, they have already found a way to circumvent it.

About the only thing one can do is to slow them down and have an alarm system to try to scare them off. Criminals are repelled by anything that brings attention to their actions.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Lees68GMC

If your vehicle is Carbed, install an electric (Normally closed) solenoid in the fuel line and hide the activation switch. Same idea for electronic Fuel Injected except switch the Fuel Pump circuit wiring.

The Ted Nugent minded fools need to wake up and understand that the Reason Guns don't stop anyone from doing anything is; Everybody's Got One, ALL of us are Armed to the teeth.

Rule # 1 Relating to Surviving any Gun Fight; Don't be there when it happens.
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
If your vehicle is Carbed, install an electric (Normally closed) solenoid in the fuel line and hide the activation switch. Same idea for electronic Fuel Injected except switch the Fuel Pump circuit wiring.

The Ted Nugent minded fools need to wake up and understand that the Reason Guns don't stop anyone from doing anything is; Everybody's Got One, ALL of us are Armed to the teeth.

Rule # 1 Relating to Surviving any Gun Fight; Don't be there when it happens.
Thanks for the solenoid suggestion....with me about to make my own fuel lines now is the time to plan all this out. I do want to keep my mechanical fuel pump if I can but I may change that.

I disagree about guns not stopping anyone. My gun stopped an attack on my person by just being on me. No I didn't have to shoot the assailants, once they realized what was about to happen they didn't want to play anymore. My mother has a similar story.

However, legally, one cannot shoot to defend property, even in a Stand Your Ground state. You are right about your rule, it's better (and cheaper) to avoid confrontation than to court it. But this is a truck forum, not a gun forum.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
brawley
Easy Does It

I was going to mount a cut off switch under the dash from the hot wire leading to the ignition...I like the quick disconnect of the shifter handle, im curious would you just use a longer pin???
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
In The Ten Ring

I'm not sure what you mean by "longer pin." Mainly, I don't think too many thieves would have any clue what sort of tranny (3 OTT) they were dealing with.

The chain tossed around a tree nad the rear axle is probably something not many car thieves come across very often either.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
BADAZ chevy guy

I had a starter cut off switch on my Jeep. I used a heavy starter solenoid (Ford) mounted under the battery box (Out of sight) and ran the positive (Red) cable to it and then another red cable to the starter. If you looked in the engine compartment you'd never know the cable wasn't continuous from the battery to the starter. And ran a power wire to the solenoid with a switch under the dash.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote