The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
LinemanL.U.47

Drive shaft disaster! Need Help!

So here’s the deal. I’m cruising about 70 on I-10 in southern cali in my 1970 K-10 step side Chevy when without warning the front u-joint of the rear drive shaft explodes. The drive shaft still spinning with the rear end it flattens the exhaust and one billstein shock. It then bends into a corkscrew shape before tearing out of the rear yoke, taking much of the yoke with it. Unfortunately the truck behind me sustained front end and tire damage. I have spent much of the day looking for a new or used replacment. I haven’t had much luck. I have tried ebay, junk yards and classifieds. This is what I can tell you guys about the drive shaft. The 1970 4x4 step side used a one-piece shaft with a slip joint at the front. I may be wrong but I don’t think it had a cardan joint. I have many question that maybe someone hear can help me with.
Does anyone have, or know of a drive shaft for sale?
Will any year 67 to 72 short bed or step side 4x4 drive shaft work?
Would a 4x4 Blazer from the same year work?
Is there a company making new drive shafts for these trucks?
I have contacted a few shops about having one built. Their talking around 400.00 bucks!
It would be a big help if I had a picture of the front slip joint and u-joint configuration. If anyone has a short bed 4x4 Please if possible post me a picture. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Thanks Lance

Last edited by LinemanL.U.47; 08-04-2010 at 11:38 PM.
LinemanL.U.47 is offline   Reply With Quote