The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
domano 68

72 C10 LWB Springs Questions

My new to me 72 C10 is going to need some new springs and shocks. I'd like to get the truck back to its original stance or even a bit higher. I might even put a big block in it one day in the future. So, instead of replacing with stock factory ride height springs, should I replace with big block springs and how much additional height would this provide? What type of springs could I go with in the rear to match the additional height of big block springs?

What is involved here (newbie). I know these things are under a lot of pressure. Are the rears easier than the fronts to remove and replace? Thanks in advance!
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
davepl

Re: 72 C10 LWB Springs Questions

These things are dangerous. A couple of thousand pounds of potential energy ready to take your hand, arm, or head with it. Keep that in mind and go to a pro if you are at ALL unsure of your ability to do it safely. Consult the shop manual.

You cannot buy springs that will be right for now and maybe a big block one day. You need to get the right springs for the way your truck is equipped. GM docs (probably the assembly manual, not sure) have a table where you look up the base weight, then the weight for each option you have, come up with a total weight and what springs should be used.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote