The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Clutch Fork Rod Question...

Previous owner swapped out transmission in my 68 to a Muncie (originally had one of the deep 1st gear ones) and the clutch fork he used doesn’t look anything like what I have seen stock on these trucks (instead of coming out straight, it has a bend down towards the ground which causes the push rod from the z bar, which he made out of all thread, to have an awkward bend in it.

I’m swapping out the transmission to a Tremec TKO I had in my camaro and also have an old Lakewood scattershield/bell housing I’m going to use. I have one of the typical GM passenger car forks, but is there any significant difference between the truck fork originally on these and the forks used on cars? Or is it a function of if they connect appropriately it will work fine? Seems like there isn’t much of an aftermarket for the original truck style fork.

I’m going to be making my own pushrod linkage out of heim joints. Should I just be buying the original fork or can the typical GM passenger car fork work fine?

Nick
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Clutch Fork Rod Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Previous owner swapped out transmission in my 68 to a Muncie (originally had one of the deep 1st gear ones) and the clutch fork he used doesn’t look anything like what I have seen stock on these trucks (instead of coming out straight, it has a bend down towards the ground which causes the push rod from the z bar, which he made out of all thread, to have an awkward bend in it.

I’m swapping out the transmission to a Tremec TKO I had in my camaro and also have an old Lakewood scattershield/bell housing I’m going to use. I have one of the typical GM passenger car forks, but is there any significant difference between the truck fork originally on these and the forks used on cars? Or is it a function of if they connect appropriately it will work fine? Seems like there isn’t much of an aftermarket for the original truck style fork.

I’m going to be making my own pushrod linkage out of heim joints. Should I just be buying the original fork or can the typical GM passenger car fork work fine?

Nick

I can't answer on the car fork but I have a truck fork you can have if you want to pay the postage to ship it.

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Sheepdip

https://www.4speedconversions.com/67..._heim_kit.html

https://www.4speedconversions.com/68_truck_linkage.html
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
AllGoNoShow

Thanks for the offer LocDoc (I love this board)....Once I figure out what direction I’ll go with it I’ll let you know.

I saw that website sheepdip but looks like they are out of stock on the spherical clutch linkage kit (as are the two other places online I found selling them). And with building it myself I can “accidentally” buy chromoly threaded tube end adapters, chromoly tube, and then convince myself (and my wife) that it is not appropriate to MIG weld it, hence justifying the need to buy a TIG welder with the next stimulus check. I planned this out!
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Thanks for the offer LocDoc (I love this board)....Once I figure out what direction I’ll go with it I’ll let you know.

I saw that website sheepdip but looks like they are out of stock on the spherical clutch linkage kit (as are the two other places online I found selling them). And with building it myself I can “accidentally” buy chromoly threaded tube end adapters, chromoly tube, and then convince myself (and my wife) that it is not appropriate to MIG weld it, hence justifying the need to buy a TIG welder with the next stimulus check. I planned this out!

Sounds good.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
BigBird05

GM designed different clutch forks for the different cars and trucks. Length and shape (bend) changed to fit the different frames for clearance. Sounds like the PO just used the one that came with the trans. Try to get a truck one if you can.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote