The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
tylerg85

electric window problems

So I'm having issues with my driver side window. If I go to roll it down it works great for a couple seconds but then stops. If I let it sit without touching the switch it'll go a little bit more. Can take up to 40 min to roll down the window. The passenger side works fine when using its switch but can't control that side with the drivers switch. Bought a new switch and it still happening . Any ideas?
tylerg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
turbosix

Re: eltric window problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerg85 View Post
So I'm having issues with my driver side window. If I go to roll it down it works great for a couple seconds but then stops. If I let it sit without touching the switch it'll go a little bit more. Can take up to 40 min to roll down the window. The passenger side works fine when using its switch but can't control that side with the drivers switch. Bought a new switch and it still happening . Any ideas?
Does the window move at a descent speed when it does move? If so I would think it is the switch. If not, the motor could be going out.

I would say you definitely have switch problems. The switch sounds like a cheaply made one. It shouldn't move without touching the switch and if it is then the switch is still making contact which it shouldn't.

I had a switch that would work intermittently, and so I bought a cheap one. It would work but would stay engaged even when I let of the switch. Bought a better switch and haven’t had any problems since.
1 Pt. 3:21

'72 C10 LWB 402
turbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
tylerg85

I put a brand new switch in it the other day. It cost me around 30. Don't know if that'd be a cheap one or not. When it does roll down it goes at an ok speed for the age of the truck. When it stops moving, if you hit the switch you can hear a tiny click from the motor like it's trying to move but nothing happens. Let it sit a little while and it'll roll down or up a little bit more
Old 08-29-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
turbosix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerg85 View Post
I put a brand new switch in it the other day. It cost me around 30. Don't know if that'd be a cheap one or not. When it does roll down it goes at an ok speed for the age of the truck. When it stops moving, if you hit the switch you can hear a tiny click from the motor like it's trying to move but nothing happens. Let it sit a little while and it'll roll down or up a little bit more
If you feel the switch is good, I'd throw a motor in it. They don't cost that much and it should last you a while. Can't recommend any as I haven't bought any in a while.
1 Pt. 3:21

'72 C10 LWB 402
turbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Hevy

Bad window motor.
Hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
TKCR

Sounds like the motor is going out. Better change it out before it goes out completely with your window down.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Dannyboy1966

Sounds like the switch to me really. Before you go buying either one, pull your door apart and take an ohm's meter to that switch, check continuity, any resistance at all the switch is bad. Just trying to save you some money, I thought it was my motor, spent the money replacing it, and still ended up replacing the switch a few days later Switch cost me $29 at Auto Zone part # SW 3464. mine had char marks on the driver side half of the switch. If I had checked it first I could have saved myself $75.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

From my experience it may be either broken/frayed wires @ the switch connector and/or breaks in the wiring where they travel through the door jamb boot. The OEM wires had an acrylic jacketing material that fatigue over time (and let's face it-these trucks are old now...lol) which tend to crack/peel/separate apart leaving exposed wire strands that twist and break over time.

Check those areas too-if you have faulty wiring in those critical areas I do offer replacement harnesses. But first check the simple stuff-greased window tracks, greased gear, etc. You can verify if the motor is good by performing the following test for the drivers side switch:

Take a positive and negative set of battery test leads. Pull connector off the window switch and apply power to the brown lead and ground the dark blue lead-window should go down. Now reverse the polarity and the window should go back up. If the window behaves normally, you have a wiring issue. If no change, its more than likely a bad motor assuming there is no obstructions in the window tracks themselves.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
tylerg85

Man you guys are awesome. Just heading out now to give everything a try
Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
tylerg85

So I couldn't get the motor to do anything up or down when direct wiring to it but if I put the switch back on it'd start moving again. The switch doesn't do anything for the passenger side. If you use the passenger side switch it'll work though. It goes slow but it moves
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
tylerg85

Update: bought a new motor and just plugged into the wires to see how it would run. Runs great up and down. Just need to install it onto the track system tomorrow. Still having a problem with getting the drivers side switch to run the passenger side window. Can't figure that out
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

Re: electric window problems

Having been down this road more than once:

Remove the door panels.
Remove the connector from the motor.
Stick the two ends of a simple 12V continuity tester in the connector.
Operate the window switch.
Does the tester light up when operating the switch?
Does the tester still light up when you giggle the wires on the back of the switch?
If the switch and power to the motor are OK, then replace the motor.

In my experience, the switch connectors/harnesses are the biggest problem, especially with the passenger window. You can replace the motor and all seems good until the switch and attached wires decide to wiggle around and you have intermittent or no power to the motor.

You can check the AC Delco pigtail catalog online to find the correct connectors/harnesses for your truck. You just enter male or female and how many cavaties you have, then match the pictures up. These connectors are not cheap but check the usual suspects: ebay, amazon, www.oehq.com, www.oewarehouse.com, rock auto, google, etc.

I have a thread somewhere here so you can search for window switch and probably find it under my user name.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote