The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Got Smoke?

Need help on 87 C10 gauges in-op.

Ok so my brother bought a 87 C10 with a carb'd 350 & a TH350 transmission for $1,000. Almost certain this truck was a TBI with a manual trans originally because it has a fuse slot labeled ECM, and the clutch master cylinder is still mounted to the firewall. Truck had a slight fender bender in the front right corner with some messed up sheet metal, but no big deal as he drove it home.

Transmission has a horrible leak that I'm fairly confident I've tracked down to the speedometer gear housing. Tried the local parts house's today and no luck so just going to order a whole new one with seals & gear on line for $20-30.

Now the hard part about helping him work on this truck is I HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Originally he thought that the whole cluster was shot because none of the gauges work, he ended up purchasing a use gauge cluster he was told worked along with some sheet metal for the truck from another truck guy.

So I've pulled the dash apart checked all the fuse's found 3 blown ones. Everything else check's good with a test light on both sides. All the lights in the gauge cluster work, signals, hi beam indicator. Even all the lights and turn signals work outside the truck. However NONE of the gauges work what-so-ever.

Water temp has the standard sensor in the head like my 79, but I've looked all over and can't find a a wire with the clip on plug that is supposed to go to it.

Oil Pressure same thing the OE sensor is there and it was Tee'd into fr a mechanical aftermarket gauge that is run into the dash. I can't find the OE wire to go to the sensor on the back of the block.

Volts.... have I mentioned I hate electrical/wiring? I have no clue where to start here, believe the alternator is working because it will keep the battery charged between weeks of starting it.

Fuel gauge goes from 7/8-Full to past full when key turns to run so I'm assuming ground problem like I've encountered with my 79 SEVERAL times.

Is there a color coded diagram I could go off somewhere that would tell me where the wires should start from? That would help me out a lot, my brother is depending on me to help him get this thing running and I guess I finally have to bite the bullet and learn some electrical diagnostic.

ALL help welcomed!

Here is the fuse panel after I pulled the bad fuse's I found. That red wire above goes to the 12V key hot on the distributor... not fond of that.

Shoddy work by previous owner.... (3 on tree linkage?) Non-tilt auto column in truck that's WAY outta adjustment. Have to pull up hard on the shifter to get the tumbler to come back far enough to get the key out

More shoddy wiring work by previous owner
Got Smoke? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
silverbear

Re: Need help on 87 C10 gauges in-op.

Do a search for forum member HATZIE. He has electrical diagram attached in his signature and are downloadable. If your harnes to too jacked up to use, there is another forum member GMACHINZ that sells new wire harness.
2010 Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3l/6L80e. Sold
2016 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0l/6L80e
silverbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Got Smoke?

Re: Need help on 87 C10 gauges in-op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Do a search for forum member HATZIE. He has electrical diagram attached in his signature and are downloadable. If your harnes to too jacked up to use, there is another forum member GMACHINZ that sells new wire harness.
Holy WOW! Thank you!
Got Smoke? is offline   Reply With Quote