The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
dgas

#3 Posi RE?

What would be the most common truck w a posi RE I am talking five lug axle rears. Or do the axles directly swap? I would prefer 3.00 to 3.50 gearing, That a problem?

Last edited by dgas; 07-26-2009 at 02:49 AM.
dgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Chlsnk

Re: #3 Posi RE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgas View Post
What would be the most common truck w a posi RE I am talking five lug axle rears. Or do the axles directly swap? I would prefer 3.00 to 3.50 gearing, That a problem?
If I remember correctly look for inline 6 trucks with a manual tranny it seems like alot of them came with a posi rear.
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There is no specific model of truck that is going to have a posi unit. I don't believe that is was a "required" option with any other package, so you are just stuck with hunting.
I am not a big fan of the later model posi units though. They came with what GM called "Gov-lock"....and most others call "boat anchor" (small boat...LOL)

While I generally recommend swapping the entire rear end to a guy trying to save a buck and get his daily driver running again.....I wouldn't go putting a lot of time/effort into searching for one in a case like yours. You seem to be willing to get into this project, so I would look into getting a better posi unit/gears installed into the axle that you already have.
It might cost a few more dollars, but it is money well spent. You get what you really want, it's all new, inspected/repaired...and you should get some kind of warranty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
dgas

My truck was a 6/ 3speed w a granny low ,but not posi. If the factory posi units are "weak", you are probably right as my motor is no slug w pretty stout bottom end power. I'll look into it. Thanks
dgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Manbearpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
There is no specific model of truck that is going to have a posi unit. I don't believe that is was a "required" option with any other package, so you are just stuck with hunting.
I am not a big fan of the later model posi units though. They came with what GM called "Gov-lock"....and most others call "boat anchor" (small boat...LOL)
Gov-bomb!

I recommend getting a Detroit TrueTrac LSD carrier for the rear.