The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2003, 01:47 PM   #1
TIMSPEED

$150 for Solid Rear Window = Good Price?

A reputable local shop quoted me $150 to replace my slider rear glass with a new solid glass. I called around, and the cheapest price I got from a little crappy place, was $135. Does $150 sound like a good price? I'll prolly get it done on friday or something.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
VetteCityBowtie

I would guess you could pull one out of a junkyard. Would be alot cheaper than that. Shouldn't be extremely difficult to swap either
VetteCityBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
TIMSPEED

Haha, I wished I could. All the ones in the junkyards around here are either marred up, cracked, or all together shattered. (If they haven't already been taken)
Old 05-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
BaggedC10
Under construction!

I had a solid rear window installed a few years ago. It cost around $150 including a new gasket.

BTW, if you replace the gasket, make sure to purchase a GM one. Aftermarket or "custom" ones don't fit very well.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by BaggedC10
if you replace the gasket, make sure to purchase a GM one.
I specifically ASKED if they used GM parts and they said yes.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
BigRed

Not sure if you are even interested in a sliding window, but you can actually get those cheaper. Just a thought.

Oh, and the ones out of junkyards are usually so brittle due to age, that they're not worth it. Might as well replace with new.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i'd ship you an a rear glass from a yard 'round here for $100 and i'd probably make $80 on it...

but seriously, if you'd want, i can surely get a perfect full glass for probably $25 or so... and then i could ship to ya... ?? i just sold a rear slider for $50... this stuff is a dime/dozen 'round here...
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:37 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

thats outrageous!!!!!!
i get $20 for a full glass ( of course to california shipping would be astronomical) but its so simple to put in a window almost anyone could do it. A gasket couldnt cost more than $15 bucks or so could it?

Heres what ya do you pull out the center strip of the gasket on the center of the outside of the gasket
push out at a corner carefully ( or if youre replacing the gasket just take a good blade and cut the part by the glass and pop out the old window and throw away the old gasket)
once ya get the old window out, clean out the whole area on the body there.
Take WD40 or some light oil or even vaseline and put some liberally but not dripping on the inside and outside part of the window area
put some of the same in the window gasket where it mounts to the cab.
place the new window into the new gasket
take a light rope kinda like a heavier kite string (Nylon usually works good and make a lasso out of it that ya put into the gasket slit where it seals up to the cab so that the string part is at the bottom center of the window
put the window and gasket in to the bottom of the cab opening and have someone hold it there
using a screwdriver ya work as much of the gasket into the window frame as ya can going easy pivoting it in there you should get about two thirds of the way then ya start using the lasso pull it out SLOWLY and work the gasket into the remainder of the cab your friend in the bed should push slightly on the window to seat it while youre doing the lasso thing
once this is in replace the center strip of the gasket and youre done
average this whole thing should take a half hour if that trust me its easy!!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #9
kevhill85
91 SWB 383

i paid 39.99 new from a shop . if u want i can sell it to u for 80 that shipping included