The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

Lower door skin replacement question

1970 c10
I'm replacing the lower door skin. I already cut and got the panel. I'm welding the seam where the body molding will be.
Question is what is the best way to fold over the edge that goes on the inside of the door.
Hammer and dolly or is there a better way?
Thanks mark
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Lower door skin replacement question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
1970 c10
I'm replacing the lower door skin. I already cut and got the panel. I'm welding the seam where the body molding will be.
Question is what is the best way to fold over the edge that goes on the inside of the door.
Hammer and dolly or is there a better way?
Thanks mark
I'm not much of a bodyman but I know there is a tool of some kind for this. I'm betting it is pretty expensive. I think most guys just use a hammer & dolly. You would have to be careful on the outer skin that you didn't ripple it too bad....

When you have specialized questions like this there are special forums where the guys can answer your questions much better than most of us can. This would probably be answered with more accuracy in the "Body & Paint" Forum.... There is also an "Electrical" forum and many others. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see the "Forum Jump" box, click on the down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down through all of the different forums. When you see one you want to go to just click on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I'm not much of a bodyman but I know there is a tool of some kind for this. I'm betting it is pretty expensive. I think most guys just use a hammer & dolly. You would have to be careful on the outer skin that you didn't ripple it too bad....

When you have specialized questions like this there are special forums where the guys can answer your questions much better than most of us can. This would probably be answered with more accuracy in the "Body & Paint" Forum.... There is also an "Electrical" forum and many others. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see the "Forum Jump" box, click on the down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down through all of the different forums. When you see one you want to go to just click on it.

LockDoc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't think of that. Fairly new to posting here.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
bhemingson

Re: Lower door skin replacement question

There is actually such a thing as a door skin hammer. The face is a horizontal rectangle shape and the head is curved to let you strike the new skin without hitting the door bottom. I have seen them on eBay. The best are Martin around $50-60 and I bet HF has a dirt cheap one.
bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote