The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
ses7279

long bed to short bed

I have 1972 Chevy Cheyenne long bed truck. I would like to convert to short bed truck. Just wondering if any of the newer chevy truck frames would work under my truck. Also, has anyone ever purchased a new custom chassis from Art Morrison or another chassis makers. I don't won't to cut the frame I have now to shorten. Any ideas where to look for short bed frame.
ses7279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: long bed to short bed

Wy would you want to swap to a later frame rather than cut yours? It's much easier.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

By the time you move body mounts and do all the cutting and welding to get it to work you would be better off shortening your own frame or buying a short bed 68-72 frame and swapping everything over.
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
CB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Wy would you want to swap to a later frame rather than cut yours? It's much easier.
Maybe he can't weld.

I could see doing it in my case where I have a 69' longbed with 4 wheel drum brakes. If I could just put my body with a shortened bed on a newer short bed frame I could have front disc & 5 lug for more rim selection.

It may end up being more work then its worth but definitely something I'm going to look into.
CB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

It seems to me most buyers shy away when they find out the frame has been cut. Heck, many don't even like C notched frames.

How do you get comfortable with unknown welding skills?
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
It seems to me most buyers shy away when they find out the frame has been cut. Heck, many don't even like C notched frames.

How do you get comfortable with unknown welding skills?
True, but it's not too difficult to differentiate a good weld from a bad weld. Everyone should take a welding class at their local junior college so they can tell a good weld from a crappy one and maybe even learn enough to do their own welding at home. It's not hard to do, just takes practice.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses7279 View Post
I have 1972 Chevy Cheyenne long bed truck. I would like to convert to short bed truck. Just wondering if any of the newer chevy truck frames would work under my truck. Also, has anyone ever purchased a new custom chassis from Art Morrison or another chassis makers. I don't won't to cut the frame I have now to shorten. Any ideas where to look for short bed frame.
I'm in the middle of performing the same swap to a 68 frame. I considered cutting my frame then decided it was too technical for me to take on myself. The simple route is finding a SWB frame and moving everything over from your LWB. I picked up a short frame for $200. That included sandblasting and sprayed with POR15. Click on my blog link below for details of my swap. I'm currently laying the stainless brake lines but that's not in my blog.

Last edited by AusTx68; 10-08-2009 at 07:33 PM.
AusTx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Ackattack

I shortened my 3/4t frame. It wasn't too hard, though it does take some time.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
I'm in the middle of performing the same swap to a 68 frame. I considered cutting my frame then decided it was too technical for me to take on myself. The simple route is finding a SWB frame and moving everything over from your LWB. I picked up a short frame for $200. That included sandblasting and sprayed with POR15. Click on my blog link below for details of my swap. I'm currently laying the stainless brake lines but that's not in my blog.
That's your best bet. Solves all kinds of problems especially if you don't weld.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote