The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
jetstreamblue71

Help! Please!

okay guys here's the deal... i'm having a few problems that i cant seem to permanently fix

#1) i have recently had the transmission rebuilt ( for the second time in two years... yea go figure all i can say is i wouldn't take my neighbors car to him) anyways since i've gotten the truck back now my reverse lights only come on in neutral and wont come on in reverse and i am wondering if this happens to be the switch, short or linkage problem

#2) my truck also likes to eat blinker switches in its spare time this is also the second blinker switch that i have gone through and wonder what a permanent solution to the problem might be because i'm tired of having to always pull the steering wheel to replace the cam...

any help on either of these problems would be very helpful... thanks ahead of time ill also include a picture of my truck so you guys can see my fairly recent project that i have acquired its a 350/350 71 with very little rust
Attached Images

1971 C10 350/TH350
jetstreamblue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Help! Please!

Does it have a trailer hitch? If it does, check to see how the trailer light plug was put in. That's usually the begining of a lot of tail light issues.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
jetstreamblue71

well when i got the truck about 3 years ago we put a new plug on it but it was still working after until the first time we had the transmission rebuilt then they would only come on while in neutral

1971 C10 350/TH350
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
cdowns

easy enough to check the reverse switch with a multimeter to see where its erenergized and not// is this an auto tranny? if so the switch is near the floor on thesteering column

as far as the blinker do you mean the switch in the column under the steering wheel or the blinker in the fuse box// i'd check for bad connections and poor grounding of the lights
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
jetstreamblue71

it is an auto trany and it the lights come on just not in reverse only when its in neutral

as for the blinker i was refering to the plastic cam under the steering column which usually cracks when it doesnt work i wont have a blinker for either side usually ends up being the drivers side however it would work when i would wiggle the turn signal lever and im wondering if there is an alternate route other than replacing those every time they break or wear the last one only lasted a month which is (knock on wood) about how long ive had this one...

1971 C10 350/TH350