The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
jasonroman

my 82 longbed...90 vette engine

hello all. a while back i was on here with a 70 longbed. times got a little tuff with new baby and had to sell truck. so i recently picked up a 82 longbed c10 that has a 90 vette engine in it. trucks auto. after lifting rug today, i find that at one time the truck was manual. the extra pedel in the floor leads me to believe im right about it being a stick at one point.
anyway truck runs good. im planning to daily this truck till the work truck gets fixed and i can use tht as daily and qq this one, fix as i go.
well so far i have noticed that the truck,s speedo does not work. the voltage and oil gauges dont work. temp might work. brakes seem good. all lights work. heat cluster i guess aint connected but theres a toggle switch that send heat through vent on top of dash.
truck has a moonroof. that i believe might be leaking. not sure. when i went to get truck it was raining. no leaks visable.....or im just retartded.
over the weekend i moved truck in driveway and after, or during rain, while inside the truck, i noticed water dropping on me. so guessin theres a leak. but today it rained all day and not a drop?????
also, the day i purchased car, in rain, rugs looked good and dry. today after i get out of work, and get in truck lookin for roof leakage, i notice passenger side rug of truck is wet. truck was parked for 8 or so hours and rugs wet???
from my seat i noticed a couple trickling water mark on the kick panels( not sure if thats what they are called') area below the knob that opens a door for heat???
anyway this is my sad hello. i plan to keep the truck and fix as i go. not sure where to start. well, actually. i went and saw truck 2 times prior to purchase. both times i check for leaks, oil/ trans. neither time did i see a drop.
now, of course, as MY luck would have it. i have oil spots in driveway. i took truck for oilchange quick because i noticed it was in the area of the oil filter.
been raining for a bit so not sure if its still leaking.
guess ill hope for the best and get back to you folks.
ill try and get pics of truck up soon. but look like more rain for next 2 days.
sorry if i posted in wrong section. and hello to all the squares
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
AirMale

Re: my 82 longbed...90 vette engine

It's almost against forum rules to not include pics!!!
That annoying leak is most likely the cab seals behind the fenders. Welcome and if you need anything just ask
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
jasonroman

thanks for the welcome bud. lotta reads and not a word but your welcome. well much appreciated. cab seals behind fenders= something that was once welded and now has come apart??
anyone know if theres something i can look at to find if speedo and guages are bad or just not conected or sumthing?
should get some pics tomorrow after work.
thanks for reply and any help
Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
AirMale

the cab seals are like a weather strip material and are VERY common issue for these trucks. If you get a chance to pull a fender you'll see how easy they are to replace. Try searching through the forum and look for pics of cabs with the front end off.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
speedo does not work. the voltage and oil gauges dont work. temp might work. i have oil spots in driveway. i took truck for oilchange quick because i noticed it was in the area of the oil filter.
been raining for a bit so not sure if its still leaking.
:

Does it have the vette trans in it? if it does it will have a electronic VSS sensor where the mechanical speedo drive whould normally be, it can be swaped out for a mechanical drive. If its leaking from the filter area the vettes had a oil cooler between the filter and block & the gaskets are notorious for leaking. So im guessing its got the TPI injection still on it?

Need Pictures!
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
jasonroman

guess ill be searching for cab seals. id rather not have water coming in cab.
tpi? not sure. not much of a mechanic. i believe theres a 700 trans. was told motor had bigger cam put in to give better compression? again, i dont know much about this. not sure if trans is a vett trans or not.
thanks for info on leakage.
like i said, i plan to daily this truck for a while till work truck gets fixed. want things that should work working and leaks fixed. after the basics, ill head toward fixing the body up a little. wife works at a body shop. that should help me a bit there. just need to find a solid mechanic in jersey that wont rape me. 2 kids and bill dont really allow me to build projects. my pockets are not on the bigger side.
thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Damien

This is exactly what a 1990 Corvette should look like. If it doesn't have aluminum heads, it came from a camero of Firebird
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
jasonroman

hopefully tomorrow i will get some pics up. my engine looks a bit different. but i think mine may have different parts. or maybe i was told and is not really what i have.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
cableguy0

The thing is theres about 10 times more vette engines in other vehicles than there were corvettes made . Everyone claims there junk has a vette engine in it to try to sound impressive when selling. You probably have the very common tpi camaro engine and it could even be a 305. Your best bet to identify the engine 100% is to get some pictures and get the numbers off of the pad in front of the passenger side head and we can id what you got. at least that way you will know what your working with
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Damien

This was an option. I forgot the LT5 was available. This came in the 1990 ZR1. I really doubt that you have a LT5 though.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
clinebarger

If it does have a LT5 in it, the engine is Stolen
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
jasonroman

well after seeing those pics, i gotta say i was lied to. my engine looks nuttn like those. mine has carb and big round air filter on top. should have couple picks up soon
Old 10-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Damien

The engine in the first picture is a L98 or Tune Port (TPI). They can be converted back to a carb, but it should have the aluminum heads to be called a vette engine. If the heads are gone, it could just as well be a truck engine. Sorry about your luck

Last edited by Damien; 10-30-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
jasonroman

well finally, some pics. maybe not the best shots. ill get better shots up soon. as you can you see, my old wagon behind my new to me 82. i bought wagon for wife. sold the white truck to get money for wagon. i didnt really need wag for me. wife needed it for 2 kids. so now we are trying to sell her car and keep her, new to her, once mine, wagon and my 82 long. which i do love. hate to think bout what might be wrong or might need. but i do love ther truck. always have loved these body styles

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02468.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02469.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02470.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02471.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02472.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02473.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02474.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02475.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02476.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02477.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...o/DSC02162.jpg
Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
jasonroman

Last edited by jasonroman; 10-30-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #16
menace121978

thats a really nice truck. wouldnt mind seeing some more pics. maybe better side views

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
bitchin85

nice lookin truck! if it is a vette engine, someone swapped out the intake to carbed. are the heads aluminum? stick a magnet on em and see if they fall off...
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Pull a valve cover and get the casting number off the heads. While you are at it get the block casting number off the driver side rear bell housing flange behind the head and the stamped ID code on the passenger front pad just below the cylinder head.

This way we will be able to tell you if you have a Vette engine, a Camaro TPI engine or a run of the mill TBI engine that has been converted to a carburetor.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
That looks like a York air compressor on there. Does it have an air storage tank under the bed?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
jasonroman

well im not sure what a york compressor is. i was told the big thing in the front of engine, was for a.c. n that theres supposed to be a fan or sumething for ac under glove box. once i learn more about whats under the hood, ill probly take the chunk of junk for a.c. out. unfortunately i am not much of a mechanic. not sure what to remove to get the numbers you folks asked for. hopefully ill be able to find out what the hell i have under hood.

thanks for the coments/ replies.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #21
bitchin85

just take off the four bolts down the center of one of the valve covers, and write down the numbers and take pictures of them and post! as far as if they are aluminum or steel just slap a magnet on the head( where the header bolts on to the engine) and if it falls off, then your in luck
Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #22
jasonroman

well guys, guess i was sold a story about the truck. this morning i took a magnet and placed it on the head( where the header bolts on to the engine) and the magnet stuck. i put the magnet on intake mani which has edlebrock written in the center, and the mag did not stick there but did stick to the area where the headers go.
so this mean i have a reg engine with aluminum intake mani? that make sense? ill attemt to find the numbers you folks asked for. today after church ill take the 4 bolts off valve covers and hope to find some number.
friend of mine was telling me that on driver side, near pullys i should find a number.?? after reading your replies, i tend to go to truck and look for numbers, but to be honest, im not sure where i should be looking.
hopefully today ill be able to find something. id really like to know whats under the bay, that way i know what parts i need for tune up/maintence.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
well im not sure what a york compressor is. i was told the big thing in the front of engine, was for a.c. n that theres supposed to be a fan or sumething for ac under glove box. once i learn more about whats under the hood, ill probly take the chunk of junk for a.c. out. unfortunately i am not much of a mechanic. not sure what to remove to get the numbers you folks asked for. hopefully ill be able to find out what the hell i have under hood.

thanks for the coments/ replies.
It is an A/C compressor but GM never used it. It is found on Volvo and Ford vehicles. The off road guys like to retrofit them as an air compressor. Works great for trail side repairs with air tools and for airing up your tires for the trip home. Could also be used for an air bag system.

It does look like they might have hooked it up for A/C though. Hard to tell with just a couple partial pics.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #24
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
well guys, guess i was sold a story about the truck. this morning i took a magnet and placed it on the head( where the header bolts on to the engine) and the magnet stuck. i put the magnet on intake mani which has edlebrock written in the center, and the mag did not stick there but did stick to the area where the headers go.
so this mean i have a reg engine with aluminum intake mani? that make sense? ill attemt to find the numbers you folks asked for. today after church ill take the 4 bolts off valve covers and hope to find some number.
friend of mine was telling me that on driver side, near pullys i should find a number.?? after reading your replies, i tend to go to truck and look for numbers, but to be honest, im not sure where i should be looking.
hopefully today ill be able to find something. id really like to know whats under the bay, that way i know what parts i need for tune up/maintence.
Look at post #18 above. That is where the casting and ID numbers are located on that engine.

When you have the valve cover off shine a flash light down into the lifter valley to see if it is a roller cam motor or a flat tappet cam.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #25
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
so this mean i have a reg engine with aluminum intake?
Yeah its a center bolt engine, i think the years they were made were 85-early 99, if he told you that it was a Corvette TPI then yeah you got lied to, now it might have came out of a camaro and they just took the TPI intake off and just put a carb on it but its like any other 350 like that.

93 crew cab build
Project 62

Last edited by scotts62; 11-01-2009 at 09:47 AM.
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote