The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

so i'm thinking about selling my truck

but i'm not sure.
i dont want to, but it just seems like the right thing to do.
it just doesnt seem very practical to have as a college student.

i used up have a tank of gas and only got around 110-115 miles out of it.
yes, i know it could be worse, that adds up to around 12.5mpg, but that was with me babying it all the time, not giving it more than half throttle ever.

anyways, there are so many things that need to be done to it, that its not even funny. i can see myself easily sinking in at least another $10,000 to have the truck the way i want it.

i just think that it might be better to have my hotrod after i graduate. until then i can find something else to drive that i will enjoy also.

and to everyone that says i should just buy a beater and drive it and park the truck, i hate doing that. i've done it before and i hated watching the truck just sit there. if i sell the truck and buy something newer, it wont be broke all the time from buying stuff or repairing the truck.

anyways, nothing is for sure, just thought i would run this by everyone here first.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
low 84

do it if you want to. its just a truck, and these things aren't exactly hard to find so you can always build another. i would sell either one of mine for the right price. right now it would probably take $7500-$8000 for me to let the '84 go, and $3500 to let the '80 go. but i don't think i could get that out of either, but i'm not trying to sell. i had a guy ready to pay 3k for the '80 but i haven't had it long enough to have some fun with it so i kept it. you know your going to take a loss on what you've invested in it and if your prepared to do that the go for it.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

yeah, i know i'll take a loss, a big loss. i was hoping to get around the same that you want for your 84'
i would need to get my fender dent fixed first.
the only thing i think ya'll will argue with me on is what i would get to replace it....
Old 05-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
C-10volvo

from what you hinted before, i remember hearing mustang. BUT if you do sell it, try to keep it in the family or close by (in the same town) that way when you come to youe senses, you can buy it back.

i know how you feel though, a fullsize truck on a college campus is like driving a school bus. plus you never know what drunk fool you may of pissed off might do to it.

i recently got a 2000 cavalier for 4grand with 44,000 miles to get around. yeah its fugly and a chicks car but i dont have to worry about road trips back home, getting around campus or getting a few door dings.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Considering the amount of money you have in the engine, you could always drop a used 350 in it to sell it and store the engine. Just a thought, and maybe an impractical one.

Oh, and a V8 Mustang will still be a money pit unless you commit to leaving it stock. Even then, you'll have to worry about people on campus breaking into it, stealing it, and the cost of insurance for a teenage driver in a "performance car."

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 05-03-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

I can see my truck getting parked sometime soon and getting a beater honda. But that just means I can go a little wilder on the truck since I dont have to drive it everyday.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
Considering the amount of money you have in the engine, you could always drop a used 350 in it to sell it and store the engine. Just a thought, and maybe an impractical one.

Oh, and a V8 Mustang will still be a money pit unless you commit to leaving it stock. Even then, you'll have to worry about people on campus breaking into it, stealing it, and the cost of insurance for a teenage driver in a "performance car."

Slonaker
it wouldnt be completely stock, but not nearly as much as i'm putting into my truck. i would have the same alarm on it that i have on my truck(viper 791xv) and i've shopped around for insurance and it turns out that i can get it insured for about $100-$120 more than i get my truck insured. thats $100 more each 6 months.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
86 GMG

man i understand the wholwe siting there and not driving it bit it sucks but the cost efficent thing to do is just that park it and buy something for better mpg's i have been looking at a 95 eclipse myself 4.0 5 speed great mpg's. driving this gives me about 50 to 75 dollors a week in fuel expense to play with on the restore of the 86 just my opinion but dont sell out of despritness ?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
AirMale

Ok, I'll start the bidding at $1500
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Prerunner1982

eric, look at it this way, your truck is paid for... you can park it and drive it on weekends or what not. get a decent cheap good mpg car to drive while you are in college that you can sell off to another college student when you are done.... if you have 2 cars, have the good mpg car listed as your daily and your truck as recreational, it may drop the insurance on the truck a bit. You are worried about continuing to sink money into your truck, but if you buy a newer car arent you still going to have payments? and believe me i know about sinking money into a truck.. and i still probably spent more weekly in gas than you do.. just my .02... my buddy built a 70 chevy from the frame up, not a show truck but it was well built.. when gas started climbing a few years ago he sold it... to this day he regrets it.. especially when it passes him on the road....
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982
eric, look at it this way, your truck is paid for... you can park it and drive it on weekends or what not. get a decent cheap good mpg car to drive while you are in college that you can sell off to another college student when you are done.... if you have 2 cars, have the good mpg car listed as your daily and your truck as recreational, it may drop the insurance on the truck a bit. You are worried about continuing to sink money into your truck, but if you buy a newer car arent you still going to have payments? and believe me i know about sinking money into a truck.. and i still probably spent more weekly in gas than you do.. just my .02... my buddy built a 70 chevy from the frame up, not a show truck but it was well built.. when gas started climbing a few years ago he sold it... to this day he regrets it.. especially when it passes him on the road....
i would have my dad pick it up at a dealer auction for a great price, i would pay off most of it to him from the money from my truck, and then finish making the rest of the payments to him when i can.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982
eric, look at it this way, your truck is paid for... ....
That's the number one reason to keep it in my opinion! Believe me, I have made plenty of payments on new vehicles. I have loved driving my old truck for the past year with no payments. Even dumping money into it here and there, I haven't spent near what I was on monthly car notes. You will have to save a whole lot on gas to make up for even a small car note.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
Tom
driving is in my blood

After just sinking all the money you did into that engine and now you want to sell it? Not a smart idea IMO.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

ok, i need a change too. i love driving the truck, i just want something newer right now that i can enjoy and drive every day.
and like ryan said, they are so common around here that i can always buy another one. or maybe after college i might be able to afford what i really want to build up(yeah right!), a 1957 'vette, in my dreams
Old 05-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
Lynx

One thing you gotta look at is how much money are you going to save in reality? Is your savings on gas going to cover/justify buying a new car?

Im in a similar situation, I bought a little zx2 and have parked my truck. It sucks to see the truck parked but there is no way i would let it sell for WAY less than its is worth to me. So now i save money on gas and am not putting miles on my truck and can slowly work away at the things that i wanna do to her. Then when I am done school I will still have the truck and can start putting money into it again.

My car was cheap(4000) and I will be able to sell it for close to what i bought it for in a year and a half(when im done school) so im still saving money casue there is no way i would save 4 grand in gas while im at school, dont care how good milage it gets.

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:00 PM   #16
PHOENIX

I know were you coming from, but you will regret selling it.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX
I know were you coming from, but you will regret selling it.
there are already a lot of things i regret, oh well
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #18
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

These gas prices these days are hurting a lot of people. Just wish somehow the price of gas would come down. We were thinking of getting a motor home but now could not afford to put gas in it. It would just sit. Hate to see you get rid of something that sounds like you really like. But you have to do what you have to do if you do not want to park it. Good luck.
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #19
SanitysBane

Don't do it, you'll kick yourself every day if you do.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #20
pissonNOS

personally unless you buy a really cheap beater i could never justify buying a beater to save on gas mileage, im not sure on your budget so dont critisize me, but from what ive seen around where i live its people buying brand new hondas and cavaliers. For the 16,000$ you spend on a new "gas saver" would that not buy alot of gas for your vehicle. in canadian terms that would buy me over 16,000 litres of gas which is alot. buying a volkswagen diesel would be the way to go i would think and only if i kept it for 15 years would i do that. Like i said just my opinion
Old 05-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #21
1969 GMC

Buy a Geo Metro or a Ford Festiva. Easy 50+ mpg and they can be had all day long for under a grand, even newer ones. True they are death traps, I'd never want to be in an accident in one, but I used to DD my dad's old Festiva and I loved filling up the tiny tank every 3 weeks. just my 2 more cents.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #22
84slopwaggin

Wouldn't fuel injection increase fuel economy with the truck? I'd rather park mine than sell it and it's not even half the truck you have put together, but if your confident that you can sell it for pretty close to what you want and build a better one later go for it.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #23
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

he had a Metro... sold it to buy parts for the truck i do believe.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:51 AM   #24
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
he had a Metro... sold it to buy parts for the truck i do believe.
a storm, and i made $800 on it
Old 05-04-2005, 03:39 AM   #25
the baron

Hi Eric ,

As my "Suburban Project" isn't ready for the moment , I use daily "Ye Old Reliable" to go at work , but I decided to buy two years ago a "plan B" car , an old F*rd from 1987 , 1600cc with 4 speed manual , for about 200€ ( 250 US$ ) , to allow my Girl Friend's son to learn drive a car ...

it is fugly but it drives me anywhere anytime , it uses more gas than a later fuel injected but still , it is a viable plan , the car has now run about 20,000 miles without any problem ( ans I still can sell it more than I paid for ) ...

keep the truck , gas prices will go down one day anyway and buy a "little tiny whatever cheap car" to go at school , or everywhere else...

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote