The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
babylonflyer

new door weather stripping ??

I have just installed new weather stripping and my door will latch but is not flush. The looks ajar.

I have searched and few thread talk about hinges and few about the striker plate.

Any help.. thanks
babylonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
babylonflyer

Re: new door weather stripping ??

bump
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

There have been MANY threads on this topic. Have you tried a search? To summarize it is a VERY common problem due to the weatherstripping not compressing. I have seen suggestions of using 87-97 Dodge Dakota weatherstripping, just giving it time, etc. I'll see if I can find a couple threads.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Once you start adjusting the door hinge plates you're asking for trouble. They're finicky to say the least and you have to know what you're dong. Done that...

I would adjust the stirker plate on the cab and give it time to adjust as FirstOwner mentioned. Summer heat will probably help.

I used the slip on ones from GMC Paul's and so far they're doing okay. I had to adjust the striker plate a couple of times but they're closing good now after 3 years. I found that the door is harder to close due to compressed air in the cab but if I first close it to within a few inches and then give it a final shove it does fine.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

Here are links to a couple other discussions.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386950

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=1168294
Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
schurg

how well does the dakota weatherstripping work? seems I may be able to source those from a local junk yard if I had too, are they long enough?
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

I've read here that the Dakota weatherstrip works well, is 5 or so inches too long, and clips on instead of using adhesive. It does not have the molded corners at the top front of the door. LocDoc among others on this site recommend it. Many also recommend the clip on style sold by GMCPaul. If you get the Dakota stuff be sure to get the pieces inserted in the ends to join them. I picked some up for about $5 in a local junkyard. They are plentiful. My truck is currently in pieces, so all I've done is clipped them on for a short distance. They look like they belong there. Perhaps those more knowledgeable can chime in. Certainly worth a try for the money.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
babylonflyer

Thanks First, I have search most threads just fall off and other rambles about weatherstripping. Thanks for the quick response

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
There have been MANY threads on this topic. Have you tried a search? To summarize it is a VERY common problem due to the weatherstripping not compressing. I have seen suggestions of using 87-97 Dodge Dakota weatherstripping, just giving it time, etc. I'll see if I can find a couple threads.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
mbgmike

the clip on style is sold by MANY companies not just one. Many people here on this forum think only one company sells them. In fact the mfg is a board supporter ....Precision. they make the clip on style. just for info. Its actually a pretty standard bulb type clip on seal. the dodge dakota strips are not THAT expensive new. I think we sell them for around 25.00 new.

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-23-2012 at 11:34 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
GMCPaul

Most can solve the problem of their doors closing hard caused by air being trapped in the bulbous seal by simply following GM's direction on installing new door weatherstrip. When installing cut the first end at a 45 degree angle before installing it on the rocker lip under the door sill plate, then install fully around the door opening and when you reach where you startwd again cut the end so it forms a 45 degree angle. If you do not do this and you butt the to uncut ends together it causes the air in bulb seal to be trapped and difficult to expell leading to door closure problems.
FDor those not wanting to use the original style glue on seals we do offer a push on version that requires no clips. We do not sell these individually they are only sold in pairs for $49.95pr
You can find these on the following page of our web site
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Pickup.htm
Part # 2660241
67-72 Push-On Door Opening Weatherstrip
1967-72 Door door opening weatherstrip attaches to cab and seals door to cab, sold in pairs. A Glue Less, Push-on Alternative to factory 67-72 door seals. These push on, and will conform to the stock 45 degree mitered corner above the vent window assembly. And the more bulbous seal, seals tighter than 67-72 factory replacement seals , the exposed part of the seal on the inside the cab is much cleaner looking also. For Pickup doors only. LIFETIME WARRANTY To Original Purchaser. Manufactured By Precision.

We are not the only ones selling these now as I did the research needed to find the best fitting puch-on weatherstrips 6-7 years ago for the67-72 and after siginificant testing of multiple types & styles I was able to detemine the Very Best 67-72 truck door weatherstrip and began selling them. Since that time many of the other parts sellers for these trucks have now realized that the money, effort & time that WE put forth to find the best weatherstrip for the 67-72 trucks was worthwhile and have begun offering it also.I would also like to point out that the manufacturer Precision is not a board supporter / board vendor, Precision Restoration Parts is not the same company as Precision the manufacturer. In fact Precision Restoration Parts stocks ZERO of the products they offer for sale as they drop ship Everything from Precision the manufacturer and if you compare prices I'm sure you'll find we are lower for the same product.
So if your looking for the best Look to GMCPauls first.
GMCPaul

Last edited by GMCPaul; 06-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
ole dollor

gmpaul: that's some good info...thanks...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
leftybass209

Great information! One of the many reasons I love this site.
Posted via Mobile Device
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Touchdown67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Most can solve the problem of their doors closing hard caused by air being trapped in the bulbous seal by simply following GM's direction on installing new door weatherstrip. When installing cut the first end at a 45 degree angle before installing it on the rocker lip under the door sill plate, then install fully around the door opening and when you reach where you startwd again cut the end so it forms a 45 degree angle. If you do not do this and you butt the to uncut ends together it causes the air in bulb seal to be trapped and difficult to expell leading to door closure problems.
FDor those not wanting to use the original style glue on seals we do offer a push on version that requires no clips. We do not sell these individually they are only sold in pairs for $49.95pr
You can find these on the following page of our web site
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Pickup.htm
Part # 2660241
67-72 Push-On Door Opening Weatherstrip
1967-72 Door door opening weatherstrip attaches to cab and seals door to cab, sold in pairs. A Glue Less, Push-on Alternative to factory 67-72 door seals. These push on, and will conform to the stock 45 degree mitered corner above the vent window assembly. And the more bulbous seal, seals tighter than 67-72 factory replacement seals , the exposed part of the seal on the inside the cab is much cleaner looking also. For Pickup doors only. LIFETIME WARRANTY To Original Purchaser. Manufactured By Precision.

We are not the only ones selling these now as I did the research needed to find these 6-7 years ago for these and after siginificant testing of multiple types & styles I was able to detemine the Very Best 67-72 truck door weatherstrip and began selling them. Since that time many of the other parts sellers for these trucks have now realized that the money, effort & time that WE put forth to find the best weatherstrip for the 67-72 trucks was worthwhile and have begun offering it also.
So if your looking for the best Look to GMCPauls first.
GMCPaul
Is there a push on style door rubber kit for 64-66 C10 trucks also?
Touchdown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
mbgmike

I have used the clip on style for the 64-66 models since the 90's. This clip on style has been around a long time and has been in use by many companies. These seals have been around a long time. I used to buy them at Oreallys. and started buying them in bulk from mfg's I don't see how someone can claim they did alot of research on them and other companies followed. they aren't anything new.
But Whatever !!!
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown67 View Post
Is there a push on style door rubber kit for 64-66 C10 trucks also?
I've tried the push-on version we sell for the 67-72 trucks on a 60-66 and it caused the doors to be to hard to close in my opinion but we've had 60-66 customers purchase them still as they did not like glueing the original style on. In my opinion the 60-66 glue-on version is a better choice unless you really like to slam your door to get it shut. I've tried other versions also of the push-on seals on the 60-66 but found every style we tried made the door more difficult to close than the stock glue on style so I don't market the push-on seals for the 60-66.

I should also point out some folks may be having difficulty closing their doors due to the door bumpers some are selling being slightly taller than stock and a denser rubber than stock. These can also lead to difficulties in closing the doors easily. BUT ALWAYS make sure to cut a 45 degree cut in each end when installing it no matter what style you use.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
chopnchaneled

Just installed some push on from gmc pauls yesterday and it works great, can almost
carry on a conversation with out yelling now.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
babylonflyer

I agree ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Great information! One of the many reasons I love this site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #18
nuke82

I got the push-on weather stripping from GMCPauls and can't get the doors to shut properly. It's been installed about five months now. I even extended the holes in the hinges to bring the door out further. Guess I'm going to call it a loss and install stock weather stripping.
nuke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
flashed

I used the push on seals on my 72 ,the doors close great but I get a lot of wind noise ,I may be trying something else.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote