The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Lost81c10

Tie rods won’t fit new CPP spindles???

I installed my 2.5 CPP drop spindles (from summit), but the tie rod ends don’t fit in the hole. Has anyone had any issues with this in either the CPPs or any other brand?
On Thursday I called CPP and a tech rep said to take a picture and send it to him so he could see that I had installed them correctly because the hole is tapered from top to bottom (wider on top and smaller on the bottom). i called while waiting at the airport so I could not send a pic then. Yesterday I called CPP again to ask if it would even be possible to install them upside down or left on the right and vice versa (I didn’t think it was possible but I had to ask since the rep asked for a picture) the rep said that it would not be possible that they would fit upside down but said that I would have to call on Monday to speak with the real tech reps. So we’ll see…
I took the spindles off today because I had cut my coils, but one round was too low for me so I had to get new springs. Thanks for any ideas or inputs on the spindle/tie rod matter.
Lost81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Tie rods won’t fit new CPP spindles???

They Prob didn't ream the ends as far as they should be. Something that somehow got past qc
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Lost81c10

thats kind of what i was thinking. i meassured the holes with a caliper and it seems that only the threaded area should fit based on meassurement but when i try to install them, they just wount go any further then about half way. i hate to even thin that i will have to have my truck on idel while i wait for new ones. thanks for the info. i am going to call CPP and aske them for their measurements on a set in stock.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost81c10 View Post
thats kind of what i was thinking. i meassured the holes with a caliper and it seems that only the threaded area should fit based on meassurement but when i try to install them, they just wount go any further then about half way. i hate to even thin that i will have to have my truck on idel while i wait for new ones. thanks for the info. i am going to call CPP and aske them for their measurements on a set in stock.
Let me know how this goes, as you know I'm looking at getting the same set! Thanks
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

What part number spindle did you order?
I think this has happened before with CPP spindles.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
What part number spindle did you order?
I think this has happened before with CPP spindles.
got the CLP-CP4S4
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cl...olet/model/c10

i also got a new pair of Moog outer tie rods to see if maybe mine were not the correct ones but the new ones are just the same size. i called summit to see if they could pull a set of spindles from their stock and measure the hole, i gave them my measuremetns and also asked if they could pull a moog tie rod and see if it would fit their spindles. Maybe i got the wrong or bad set. i guess i will wait for their call to see where i will go with this. it suxs...for now i cleaned up my stock ones and will put them back on so i can try which set of springs i will go with but dont know sicne i will not get the same effect as with drop spindles on. i got some western chassis 1.5 and a set of belltech 1 inch (to go with the 2.5 spindles) to see which i will stick with. We’ll see. Will have to play the waiting game.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Lost81c10

Returned the spindles and got a replacement set same brand and part #. This time I had them open the box and used one of my new tie rods to test the hole. Big difference in size. Don't know if they gave me the wrong ones or they were deffective. They are now installed with 1.5 western chassis springs. Could not take pics as it was dark and started to rain just as I returned from the test drive. Feels good on the turns. I still have the heavy lean on the driver side. I though it would go away but guess not.
I was thinking about letting the springs settle and see how it is in a couple of weeks. If no difference then I will cut a little off the passenger side spring. Do you guys think that will work in leveling the sides?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
INSIDIOUS '86

Level using the rear springs. That's where the issue is. Glad to see everything worked out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I've had issues with CPP spindles on a 68 Camaro I built a few years back-their location for the splashield backing plate behind the rotor was such that with a stock rotor installed, the rotor actually made contact with the backing plate-I heard this scrapign sound and thought wtf? Both side too-I had to bend the backing plate a bit to get it to stop scraping-poor fitment with CPP imo...and that's just one of many stories with their stuff-I'm almost sure its offshore crap, so that explains it.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
I've had issues with CPP spindles on a 68 Camaro I built a few years back-their location for the splashield backing plate behind the rotor was such that with a stock rotor installed, the rotor actually made contact with the backing plate-I heard this scrapign sound and thought wtf? Both side too-I had to bend the backing plate a bit to get it to stop scraping-poor fitment with CPP imo...and that's just one of many stories with their stuff-I'm almost sure its offshore crap, so that explains it.
i too have the scraping issue, slightly on one area, on the driver side. i dont hear it when driving but when i had it on the air and would spin the rotor i could hear it. I had read where someone was saying that it was the fact that the shields are not staight. the question that i had was what portion is the area that needs to be bent/straighten out. is it the circle that is flared out where the spindle shaft goes in or is it the outer shield perameter? as for the offshore scrap, well i hope not since that is what i am stock with now. how did you fix the issue? thanks.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Level using the rear springs. That's where the issue is. Glad to see everything worked out!
Posted via Mobile Device
most of the info I had read with regards to this issue pointed to the front spring and judging by the fact that my cab was leaning on the driver side and if using the rear window line as reference to the bed line and the gap is narrower on the driver side I thought that the front was lower but if the rear is lower than I would think that the gap would be narrower on the pass side, don’t know if I make sense but I guess now I will have to look into the leaf spring (that's what you mean correct?). Thanks for the info and any other you can share to set me straight on this. Now when you mentioned that I thought maybe I can swap my rear springs from one side to the other and see if that makes any difference. Do you think it might make a difference? I do know that the rear does move up and down pretty easy when you rock the rear but don’t know if that means my springs I too wore out. Anyhow thanks again.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
INSIDIOUS '86

Yes moving springs side to side can verify wether or not the issue is in the rear. Been a lot of posts about the issue and Keith seymore said its in the rear
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
Lost81c10

here are a couple of pics. its hard to see but you can see the lean on the driver side on the pic of front view.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
dealrcn

I had the same issue on my 86 with the drivers side being just a little lower. I think that's its a combination of body mount bushings and the rear springs.
Posted via Mobile Device
dealrcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealrcn View Post
I had the same issue on my 86 with the drivers side being just a little lower. I think that's its a combination of body mount bushings and the rear springs.
Posted via Mobile Device
And a fuel tank on just one side will contribute to the lean,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
dealrcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
And a fuel tank on just one side will contribute to the lean,...
Yes I agree, all that weight plus most of the time there is only the drivers weight, those combined just weaken that side of these trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
dealrcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
biohazardbill

Quote:
Returned the spindles and got a replacement set same brand and part #. This time I had them open the box and used one of my new tie rods to test the hole. Big difference in size. Don't know if they gave me the wrong ones or they were deffective. They are now installed with 1.5 western chassis springs. Could not take pics as it was dark and started to rain just as I returned from the test drive. Feels good on the turns. I still have the heavy lean on the driver side. I though it would go away but guess not.
I was thinking about letting the springs settle and see how it is in a couple of weeks. If no difference then I will cut a little off the passenger side spring. Do you guys think that will work in leveling the sides?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not to bring up old thread but I had same issue today. Did you take the spindles back to Summit? Or did you have to send back to CPP?
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Not to bring up old thread but I had same issue today. Did you take the spindles back to Summit? Or did you have to send back to CPP?

I took them back to summit. I called cpp and they said it was a summit issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
I took them back to summit. I called cpp and they said it was a summit issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes cause summit drills them smaller...smh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
biohazardbill

After reading this thread before any replies I called Summit. Told them the issue, said I checked all the part numbers the verify application and told them others also had issues with these spindles. They said they would swap them. So just left Summit, verified tie rods fit. Great customer service in my opinion as I bought the spindles in August and just now putting them on a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
vidman

I have had the same problem with summit with CPP spindles...Twice The first set was a 2 1/2 drop but had the wrong ball joint tapers. I just got the 2td set and they are not even a drop spindle. so now I,m dealing with summit again. I think I will just send these back and get some from someone else..
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
biohazardbill

Are the right part numbers stamped on the spindles?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
vidman

I have talked with CPP and they informed me that they only have 2 casting numbers on there spindles. and machine them for whatever...does not make sence. first set ordered was for my 72 which takes cp4s3...they sent me cp4s4...no workie. set number 2 is cp4s5 and is not even a drop spindle, still no workie but at least the ball joints fit but not the outer tie rod end... I am at a point where i would like to rip someone a new b">t hole. Just waiting to hear back from summit..
Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
projectking

Figured I’d help this old thread since there wasn’t any solutions online...

I ran into the same issue and decided to try ‘88-98 outer tie rods, problem solved...could’ve hit them with a 7* reamer but this is a bit easier!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #25
MikeB

Don't get me started on that manufacturer's parts for my 55 Chevy car.

Designed in CA, manufactured in Communist China, QA by???
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 04-14-2020 at 06:32 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote