The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
Matt21lutz

Talking Murdered Out, Slammed, Heavy Hauler with SIX bags

So I'm totally starting over with my build. Luckily I haven't done all that much so far.

The new game plan is totally different then what I began with, Slamming it with air ride, building a badass 350 motor with an overdrive tans, not sure which one that is, building roll cage, custom interior, fuel cell(s), and much much more. My original plan was to do static drop, and just custom interior, after much thought and checking out all the badass rides on here I had to start over.

I give y'all some MAJOR props on ur rides, some are just beyond badass and some of y'all got skills I couldn't dream of having.

↓↓↓↓↓ Build up list is below ↓↓↓↓↓

A lot of the work that I will being to this truck will be custom one off stuff, one of the biggest differences between what my truck will be and what I have seen out there is the air ride. Now I know I will get backlash from this BUT, I will be hauling cars, building materials, hauling ass , parts and this eventually will be a shop truck. I plan on getting my website design business going hard and making some sick ass cash, all I need to do is get it optimized to the max and hustling. So if any of you actually read this entire thing I'll let you in on something... If you need website work, fliers, anything print, social media help, mobile sites, html (professional) emails, or any seo for your site. Let me know that you read this post and I'll give you 25% to 50% off your next invoice! Once I've made some cash I plan on flipping and customizing cars on the side. Back to the build though!!

Current Situation:
Need to rebuild the motor since the valve stem seals are leaking oil into the pistons, also it's the original motor so it has got some miles on it for sure. Need to change the transmission out from a an automatic to an automatic with overdrive, need to change out all that goes along with that. Slight metal work on a few place, worst being on the driver side floor and side kick panel, needs body work (more pics coming soon). Needs paint, wiring harness needs to be hooked up for the electric windows and locks on the doors, new windshield, new interior pretty much, new stereo and new steering box or rebuild.

I've estimated about $3000 to $5,000 when everything is complete besides rims. I'll be buying parts from majority of parts from a few different places; lmctruck.com, rockauto.com, summitracing.com and wrench a part in Belton, Texas. Few more things to consider are that this will be frame off restoration, I'll be undercoating the frame as well as the under side of the bed, cab and inner fender wells. Hoping to be out driving this truck within a few months.

Old plan: (Everything in red is no longer part of the plan)
Rebuild the motor
Automatic Trans
Custom exhaust with headers and turbo mufflers (will be true dual exhaust)
Drop 2.5 inch front and 4 inch back
New bench seat maybe bucket seats
Tilt steering column with column-shift
New carpet
New dash pad
New door panels
New seat belts
Custom center console (I'll make my self with fiberglass)
Custom switches for interior lights, locks and windows
New rear bumper (81-82 with lights in bumper)
Move fog lights from inside grille to the bumper
Make a custom grille
Change over headlights to halogen lights
Dynamat in the interior
Black paint with single red pinstrip one inch below the body line
Spray in bed-liner (I'll be spraying it in) along with the frame and other misc. parts
20 inch american racing rims, black with machined face

The NEW plan!!!:
Get a 350 motor and rebuild with new Edelbrock intake and carb plus eventually add efi and coil pack conversion.
Get a 700r4 trans, I think that's the overdrive one? Not quit sure, already switched it over to a th350.
Box the frame in!
Custom air ride by me all the way.
Air Ride Setup:
4 bag rear setup, that's right I said rear 4 bag set up! (I will be hauling heavy loads, but two of the four rear bags will only be used when I have heavy loads or in case of emergency.)
Custom upper and lower control arms so that I can run shockwaves from Ridetech. which will require a custom dropmember, WOOH!!!
Hard lines (stainless) ran for all six bags with stainless braided lines to connect from bags to the line so they have some flex.
Either a 5gal or 8.5gal 9 port tank with dual compressors.
Electric valves connected to a 3 switch control unit.
2 main gauges and 1 hidden gauges for the heavy hauler bags.
12v system with two batteries for all the electronics.
Vintage air setup for ac and heating.
New trans, fuel and brake lines made by me for cleaner lines.
Fuel cell and fuel pump.
LED lights made by me all the way around, only the headlights wont be LED
HR99 wheels from Coddingtons, 20x9 in front and 20x12 in the back
Full rollbar that I'll be making otherwise I'm paying $10,000+ for what I want.
Custom interior
Recaro racing seats down the road.
Bucket seats for now.
Fiberglass center console with 6.5" speakers made in and hiding all the wiring for audio and accessories below with access panel!
Accessories that include; pioneer touchscreen stereo, 2 jbl amps, 2 10" jbl subs, 6 speakers total plus subs, led lighting through out, air ride controls, numerous switches (offroad light bar, bed lighting, windows, door locks)
Maybe push button start? Need some opinions on that!
New headlight switch made into console
Interior lighting switch in console
Console mounted shifter.
Custom gauge faces
Dash bezel customizing, make it so that the gauges don't sit so deep into it.
Fiberglass the dash pad and recover with new material.
Oh did I mention that I'll be pretty much murdering the truck out? Only thing that wont be black are the lights, bumpers, mirrors and door handles! I will be getting rid of the drip rails over the doors, filling in the stake pockets on the bed and removing those, going to try very hard to NOT mess with the bed floor. I will also be making a "hide away trailer hitch".

Let me know what you guys think. Also might want to read this entire thing, there's a little discount in here somewhere for my business (;

PS: If you got something you think is badass on ur ride let's see it! I want to see if anybody has ever ran 4 bag rear also!

Last edited by Matt21lutz; 03-20-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Matt21lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Cherub

Re: Murdered Out, Slammed, Heavy Hauler with SIX bags

Cheers
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Matt21lutz

Talking Re: Murdered Out, Slammed, Heavy Hauler with SIX bags

So here's an update, Got the truck running nice and smooth for now, gut the new oil pressure sensor in and all working sitting right 50psi used to be closer to 15psi before the oil pan and sensor haha but also got the tranny leak fixed. Was just a fewl oose bolts because something was in the threads, all fixed! Also patched up the trans tunnel, this is weird though cuz I have yet to see anyone else with a removable trans tunnel, not really sure why but I like it! makes it easier to work on lol Here's some pics!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Matt21lutz

Cool Re: Murdered Out, Slammed, Heavy Hauler with SIX bags

So for those of you wondering how in the world I'll be running a four bag rear setup, here's your answer! This is just a quick rendering not the final design. Made this in like.. 7 minutes? hahaha!

Also not shown are the shocks I'll be running, I will run them in front of the rear diff at diagonal angle. That along with all the lines, compressors placement and tank placement will all be shown!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

The trans tunnel is removable because its a 4 wheel drive cab...

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
joe231

Weird, I have 5 4wd trucks of various years, post-81, at my house currently and none of them have removable center humps.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
brimc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
The trans tunnel is removable because its a 4 wheel drive cab...
There is only a trans shifter hole, no T/C.
I have seen different floor types. Depends on the model year, and model type. There are several different variations.

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Greenlee

From what I have seen, the bolt-in high hump transmission tunnels came in floor shift and 4x4 models up until about 84'. After around 85' they are not removable without cutting. The bolt-in high hump tunnels come in handy for converting a 2wd low hump cab to 4wd. I used one in my truck when I replaced the cab.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Matt21lutz

Thanks for the input on the removable trans tunnel, kinda cool that it is makes it a lot easier to work on trans lines, kickdown cable and modulator and everything else.

QUESTION AND OPINIONS TIME!!!

But want some opinions on a design for the 4 bag rear setup, after a lot of researching and designing I found a few trucks who do have it. They are regular trucks, they're usually big ass 18 wheelers, duallys and in that area. Take a look at some of the pics I found and let me know what you think.

This one is not a four bag rear but I liked how the bag was mounted behind the axle but isn't a cantilever system

This is probably my favorite. It's a parallel 4 link with a bag in front an behind the axle, but the bag bracket assembly is the mounting for the four link.

Again not a four bag but I liked the setup.

Like the next two but not a really good shot of how and where the bags are mounted to the axle. still a parallel four link but it is sitting outside the frame which I don't like.

These next two are the more common method of using four bags, it replaces the leaf spring but is mounted underneath the frame so you won't be slamming the truck with this setup but you can haul.

The next two are the same design with some minor difference but I feel that this would be a good way to slam the truck and still have the ability to haul. Mounted outside of the frame with a drop down bracket to mount the front links. But also has the triangulation of a triangulated four link, it almost is but not really?

So you've seen what I've found, any thoughts on what ya see? Also been thinking what if i used bags that have a larger weight capacity?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
COS399

Lots of options. That red one looks sweet but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
Matt21lutz

Got a question about the accuair leveling system! I know that I will be running 6 bags on the truck but is it possible to tie in the extra two bags somehow? Not really sure if I can but I like the idea of the leveling system but I'm not really sure. any suggestions?

Also Instead of running a single vu4 by accuair, thought I would run either two or three of there vu2 manifolds so that the front and rear have separate dumps and intakes.

One last thing, could i run 1/2" stainless likes to and from the system and adapt down to the 3/8" or should I use separate valves completely?

E-level with touchpad

VU2 2-CORNER SOLENOID VALVE UNIT
Old 03-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #12
Matt21lutz

So thinking about something, been wondering if anyone has put their air compressors, manifolds/valves and everything except the tank on the side of the beds? Mounted from inside the bed on the side, kinda thought it'd be cool. Doesn't take away any space from the bed and keep it out of the elements more so. any thoughts?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
kikkegek

sick build...I will definitely follow your build...
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
SCOTI

Not sure why this wasn't asked....

Why the added complexity of 4 rear bags when 2 properly spec'd bags can carry the capacity of your frames rated ability?

Also... the removable trans hump sounds like it would make service 'easier'. In reality it doesn't since it needs to be seam sealed (to keep out moisture & fumes), will be under carpet & padding, which is under the seat & anything else attached to the floor (speakers, amps, consoles, etc...).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
Matt21lutz

So after a lot of thought, AGAIN, not going dropped or bagged. Thinking I might go ahead and just make it a bada** truck, 2.5" lift in the front to level it out, heavy duty leaf springs in the back and more of "bugout" vehicle, eventually I'm going to get a second truck, a longbed 4x4 and make a true bug out with all kinds of stuff haha but in the meantime, I'll make this one be just as cool.

Been working on her, got a new intake, carb and all the fixins. Trying to get her road worthy again so I can start driving & hauling.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
rusty76

I'm interested in seeing where you go with this one. Count me in.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote