The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
outlawedchevy

Throttle /fuel problem

I recently put a new fuel pump and filter on my 71 c10, and checked the lines for clogging. All seems fine. Once in a while when i am driving the truck will shut off. Also when I am first starting the truck it takes three to five times to get going and when it does it will either idle very high, or cut off again. I checked the throttle, and it seems to be getting stuck, but not everytime. I did what I know to try and adjust, and I am still in the same place......can you help? Thaks!
outlawedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Throttle /fuel problem

Please supply more info like engine size, carb type. It will help us give some advice.

What do you mean when you say it takes "3 to 5 times to get going?" Do you mean you have to crank, stop and then crank it again? That could be the choke or float adjustment in the carb.

One more question. When it shuts off, is it because of fuel starvation, or is it electrical like no spark? Also, does it start back right away or do you have to let it sit for a while? This could still be carb problems or filter inside the tank.

I know this is a lot of questions, but it will help diagnose your problem.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
outlawedchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Please supply more info like engine size, carb type. It will help us give some advice.

What do you mean when you say it takes "3 to 5 times to get going?" Do you mean you have to crank, stop and then crank it again? That could be the choke or float adjustment in the carb.

One more question. When it shuts off, is it because of fuel starvation, or is it electrical like no spark? Also, does it start back right away or do you have to let it sit for a while? This could still be carb problems or filter inside the tank.

I know this is a lot of questions, but it will help diagnose your problem.
Thank you 68. Yes "3 to 5 times to get it going" I have to crank, then it stops, and continue on like this until it will catch. Also, after I have driven it for awhile and turn the ignition to off, it will stay on for a few seconds and make some odd gurgling noises. I am new to this, so please bear with me. And sometimes it will start right away (after cutting off) and othertimes I have to wait. WHen I bought the truck, they had just put in a new edelbrock carb. And occasionally it will rev out to 4000 rpms in neutral or in drive without touching the throttle....? I have to depress the gas pedal hard and quick for the choke to go back to normal rpm. What do you think?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Sounds like you have more than one problem going. The high revving could be linkage/choke adjustment or it may be the throttle shaft is binding. I would start off by checking all of the obvious first.

Manually move the throttle and check to make sure there's no binds and it retracts completely.

Then, move the throttle manually and with a flashlight check inside the carb throat to see if gas is squirting into the intake. If it's not, then you may have a float or needle valve problem.

This could account for the gurgling noise after you shut it off. It could be gas leaking into the hot intake which means something in the carb is not shutting off the gas supply completely and it's leaking into the engine. You would get some black smoke coming out the exhaust if it's flooding on you.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
outlawedchevy

Thanks! I checked the choke and it isnt retracting properly. It will retract about 80-90% of the way. Then I have to push it the rest of the way. I tried adjusting it to no avail......