The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
RodC

Do you guys have the same problem....

You can see my 71 on webshots. It is pretty streight has a little rust under the rear fenders and cab supports. One of these days (probably in about 15 years) I'm going to do a full resto. Well to get to the problem, I keep putting things off that I would like to do to it because "I'm gona restore it someday" I feel like I should not buy that shiney new manifold, or replace the wood in the bed because it aint going to be perfect ya da ya da bla bla. Yet I go to car shows and see guys with total rust buckets (no offence I have had some) that have more in their engine than I have in my truck. They seem to handle it pretty well.

Well start the free analysis of my problems and I will get off the couch and give the next addict his turn
Old 09-12-2002, 02:49 PM   #2
brennecke

Ask yourself what matters to you.
If a so-so looking truck that will do a ten second quarter is OK for now, then start pouring cash into the motor. If show quality shine is what matters, then wait till you can afford to do the bodywork right the first time, and build the motor after.
Personally I will be the guy with a rust bucket and an expensive engine. I can do the bodywork later.
Never tire of doing what is right II Thess. 3:13
Northeast Missouri
71 LWB original 350 3/speed
Soon to be 500
brennecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Southpa

I've done my fair share of procrastinating. I bought my truck 8 yrs ago and never really had any grand plans for it until I found this website. But the truck was, is and always will be my daily driver. So you have to decide what you want to use it for. I will still be hauling crap to the dump and helping people move, even after its painted. Of course, I will take the usual precautions against denting and scratching.

But getting it mechanically sound and reliable should be your first priority. Of course, that is after you've made sure that the body of the truck is worth saving. But everything costs money. Lots of the work I've done on my truck was out of necessity.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
RodC

What sucks is that neither is important to me. I want a daily driver that is good looking at 20 feet and is reliable. But I have this attitude that why do it unless it is 100%!
Old 09-12-2002, 06:40 PM   #5
bigjimzlll

I justify it this way...I have to make sure it runs just the way I want, so when I paint and make it all nice and shinny, I wont have to worry about scratching and denting, by pulling the motor and tranny, and leaning on it and greasy hand prints...I have to tell my self this all the time though....of course my wife is the one who wants it all nice and shinny..NOW...

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
Benrs86

good call, i bought mine when i turned 14 just for a daily driver, and started taking things apart. i ended up doing a frame off with WAAAAAAAAY more money i ever imagined i would own into it. i vote if its a daily driver then dont worry about the body. i would rather be driving a fast rusty one then mine that has a pretty much stock rebuilt 350 and pretty nice paint. but this way more poeople notice my pickup, and that is waht keeps me gion when people compliment it, so i guess just decide what you want and go for it, if you like it the way it is leave it. good luck, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

Yep, I have the same problem. I have a garage full of "good" used parts that are better than mine, but the ones on mine ain't broke yet, so I haven't replaced them. Some day I will hopefully put all the pieces together, but then what would I have to look forward to? I guess at that time, I could start thinking about paint... Nah!
When I go to the store, I don't have to worry about locking *my* truck! People don't usually park too close either...
Old 09-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

I would do the engine now. Like he said, get it running good and sound first so you don't scratch while tinkering. When you rebuild it the engine will come out anyways right? All you would have to do is clean it up. No biggie.
72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:28 PM   #9
Zkast
Account Suspended

My theory on this is, If you allow problems to accumulate because your "going to" restore it someday will end you up with a old truck in need of A LOT OF WORK.

I'm in no place to talk really... I do the same thing as you. I hate to put that new engine in this dirty, rusty old truck so I wait and wait and wait. Pretty soon its been 7 years! The new part I bought is rusty or bad now, the part I was going to replace is gone lol.

Think of it this way... If you are fairly close to your resto time, AND YOU KNOW YOUR CLOSE (as in date is set) Then hold off and save your self some time and money. But if your like me and there is only the WANT to resto the ole truck, and no definate time? Install what you need to keep her going.

Case in point, look at this engine bay LOL its a mess but I "needed" to get the old engine out before it made a bigger mess.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote