The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #1
Steveoreno

Another 700R4 dust shield clearance question

Folks, I have installed a 1989 700R4 in my 66 C10. It is bolted to a 66 327. After installing the new crossmember, TCI lockup kit, converting the electric speedometer to cable driven, new filter and installing the pan I proceeded to bolt up the dust shield and discovered that the shield hits on the starter as shown in the pics. I spent hours pouring over past posts on several forums, and looking over hundreds of reproduction dust shield pictures I am perplexed as it would appear that a reproduction of the shield with the six 10mm bolts (three on each side) is not available. I was hoping only to have to purchase a bolt-on fix. Before I attempt surgery on my cast aluminum cover, which I know would leave a 3/4" gap at the side of the starter, I thought I would run this past you folks as I am sure that someone must have had to address this very issue and I am curious as to how it was handled. Driving without a dust shield is not in my plans although I know it has been done by many......Thanks guys -Steveoreno-
Attached Images

Steveoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:36 PM   #2
HOGDADDY

Re: Another 700R4 dust shield clearance question

The stock cover from my TH350C tranny worked on my 700r4 IIRC.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:20 AM   #3
Accelo

I have one laying around here somewhere. I will check the casting number in the morning to see it it's different.

You may have a oddball 2.8L cover. They are different than all the others.

The reason it uses the aluminum cover it is installed and a transmission know as a "heavy case" series. They are used on four wheel drive transmissions. The threaded holes, at the bottom of the cover, are for two rods that go from the cast cover to the motor mounting location to add stiffness to the assembly.

Last edited by Accelo; 08-28-2022 at 01:27 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #4
Steveoreno

Pretty sure the TH350 cover bolts up with four bolts, two at the front and two at the rear...this oddball has six bolts and they fall on the left and right side....the last 66 I built had a early 700r4 that also had the four bolt setup and finding a shield was easy but this one is a challenge. The tranny supposed to have been in a two wheel drive 1989 Chevy PU.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #5
The Rocknrod

I've seen that cover with two holes on the bottom before and almost purchased it. I found it to be the incorrect par for a 700R4, but I forget now why.
Oh wait, Does it look like this? - https://www.ebay.com/itm/13420258885...pid=3019193877
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #6
Steveoreno

Rocknrod...yeah thats the one I have...I know the cover came off of this tranny when it was pulled so it will fit but the starter configuration must be significantly different on a 1989 than it is on the 66 327. I think the 89 starter has staggered holes where it bolts onto the block while the 66 has parallel holes so they are different as well. Hope there is a solution
Old 09-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #7
Steveoreno

I decided to try one of the mini-starters that have no bell that would interfere with the dust cover. I installed a Jeg's unit and after some shimming up got the clearances right. The dust cover fit fine, other than a small gap at the starter as shown. I may bend up a stainless cover just to keep debris out but problem solved for those finding themselves in the same boat.
Attached Images