The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
66Z71

Can anything cool be built without air bags?

Is it just me, or is everything getting bagged? I love the look of a lowered car or truck, but I've never been tempted to build someting that could 'lay frame'.

I don't know if I'm just gettin old or what.
"Always try to make the best part you can with the skills you have. If it isn't good enough throw it away and make another. Every time you make a part your skill will increase and you'll make a better part than you were capable of making before." Lil John Buttera
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
glos55

Re: Can anything cool be built without air bags?

Hey you're not getting old! I also love the look of a lowered car or truck or anything with wheels! I even lowered my lawn mower.....but then scalped my lawn when I used it. It just depends on the look you want and how low you want it to be. I am currently lowering my 65 short step and will only go about 4 to 5 inches for now. To lay frame is Bad A$$ but its all about what you want and how you will be using the truck.

Last edited by glos55; 02-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
k1rodeoboater

I dunno...I think it sorta depends really. Some trucks look good slammed, and others look good lifted.

It really depends on what you need the truck for. If you just want a cool daily driver or a show vehicle then go as low as possible or lift it up. If you need utility then staying stock is probably your best bet for payload capacity.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

When I got my truck, the PO loosened the tortion bars in the front and put shorter springs in the back. Its sits low, but it was on the front bumpstops. I ran them up a little for a better ride, but I am considering drop spindles to get it lower again. I am also looking at using the Jeep TJ springs in the rear and see what that looks like.

However, I do have a set of bags ready to go in, but im holding off for now.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
jimmydean

I'm too old and broken to ride in a static drop rig. Have you ridden in a bagged truck? So nice...

<edit> And laying out is just one end of the spectrum like a 20' lifted monster truck is the other. Now both can be done with bags to not only improve ride quality (have you ever ridden in a lifted leaf truck?) but make things adjustable.

Bags aren't for everyone, but performance numbers are out there that show a well set up bag system can perform as well or better than a static drop.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 02-22-2011 at 04:12 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

My 65 was bagged and rode like a Caddy. My current ride is not too much different being static. Im looking to smooth it out with TJ springs and drop spindles in the future.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

also if setup correctly, bags can also haul more weight/higher payload capacity than just springs

Last edited by project 67 sub; 02-22-2011 at 05:27 PM.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
66Z71

It's not so much the type of suspension. (I want a set of bags for my Suburban) It's the whole laid on the ground look. Seems to be all anyone is building anymore.. and not just the trucks. I was lookin at LS1Tech.com the other day, and it seems that 9/10 cars on there are sitting on the ground with 20's.
"Always try to make the best part you can with the skills you have. If it isn't good enough throw it away and make another. Every time you make a part your skill will increase and you'll make a better part than you were capable of making before." Lil John Buttera
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
roofingbloke

Hay 66z71. nothing wrong with a stocker or a static lowered truck, get i it and drive it, its what makes you smile at the end of the day, my truvk is lowered, but i have the bug, my front crossmember is 1.5" off the tarmack so for safety reasons i am going on air,

Bee yourself not a sheep.
roofingbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I too think trucks that lay frame are cool looking. But I have yet to see one that lays frame that is truly safe. Safe being from the perspective of what happens when a line blows, or comes off, or gets puncturred (again, on a truck that lays frame).
To be safe the suspension has to have:
  • bump stops so if the supporting device (springs or bags) fail that the vehicle is still driveable. This means none of the suspension or frame will drag on the ground in the event of the supporting device failure.
  • a suspension set-up using "scrub lines" such that a tire failure will not mean the suspension or frame drags on the ground.
To make this happen you would almost have to have quick disconnect removable bump stops such that once you get to your destination (car show, rod run, cruise in, local hangout) you would air up the suspension, remove the bump stops and then lay frame.

I am not so much worried about the guy who modified the truck, as I am everybody else. I have witnessed the carnage that happens when the above philosophy isn't followed and a failure happens on the road at speed... and it ain't pretty.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-22-2011 at 07:58 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
66Z71

Hadn't really thought about that, but it brings back a memory from high school. A buddy just bought a lowrider Impala, and we were cruising town. Me in my GTO beside him... One second he was there, the next he was in my rear view mirror. His frame caught a manhole cover, and he stopped instantly. It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, luckily nobody we were goin slow so nobody got hurt.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
jimmydean

I guess this goes along the lines of wheel size, too. Seems like most every build is rolling 20's, 22's, or even bigger. I like side walls, so 20's aren't my thing. But for some people, it's all or nothing.

On a side note, there is this thing I see in California with people taking a 4x4 truck, lifting the piss out of it, then chrome everything underneath, and roll 18x15 wheels with a low profile mud tire.

They have 5' of tire clearance, but they stick out a foot on each side. Makes no sense to me, but to each his/her own, I guess.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
BigCarter

i agree with most of the other post, its all based on personal prefrence and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I scored a 63 GMC about a month ago and priced out the way i wanted it bagged with the porter built drop member and all that good stuff and for now it was more economical to drop it and put a set of wheels on it plus i couldnt pass up the deal i got on everything.
BigCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
hotrod66

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 6151
Size:  30.2 KB not every one has 20 or 22 on there bagged trucks
i have wide whites with steal wheals on my 61 .just trying to do some thing old school with new some new parts ,i hate chrome or billet any thing. its still a hot rod not no dang low rider !
Name:  S7300953.jpg
Views: 3408
Size:  49.4 KB
and yes that is as tall as she gets .

Last edited by hotrod66; 02-22-2011 at 09:55 PM.
hotrod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I have a somewhat different perspective, and believe most of what becomes “popular” has more to do with revenue generation than enthusiast preference. Car and truck magazines and publications like the Goodguys Gazette are funded by advertising dollars, not by those subscribing or buying the magazine at the store. With a few feature articles thrown in, the majority of content is simply a repetitive monthly advertiser catalog with a different mix by title.

To guarantee the advertisers see a return on their investment, the publications feature vehicles built in a style that requires the use of products offered by their advertiser’s, calculating others will be encouraged to buy the same trick upgrades hoping to score a trophy or get their own ride in print. This isn’t restricted to wheels, tires, suspension, and stance. It also includes the latest in technology for engines, stereos, interior components, exhaust systems, and every other aspect of building a vehicle.

There isn’t a lot of money promoting the good sense and usability of stock or reworked original parts, so these features don’t enhance the chance of landing on the cover of a rod magazine. If that isn’t a priority, it can be a lot cheaper to just build what you like and have fun with it.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
chevykid65

Hotrod66. that thing is sick. cant wait to see the final product. id love to sit my truck like that but around here i would caught up on every cattleguard and train track within a 50 mile radius
chevykid65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
jocko

I'm with you Markeb01, I think you're onto something there. I've noticed over the past years that as more and more "all in one kits" (suspension lift or drop, brake kits, etc etc) become available - they get mentioned in the feature articles. I guess that's ok, but I've been a little suspicious about whether or not they're just promoting their vendors. I'm glad I get to glimpse the "state of the art", but it can make one feel like a bit of a second class citizen when the magazine labels what you've saved up to do for two years as a "budget build" project... But, when I think about it, personally I'm glad that places like CPP and POL and you name all the others are developing year/model-specific kits (especially for 60-66 trucks!) But I do think that what you see featured in mags or highlighted online, etc is not as indicative of what the more common trucker does - it's just that some of those trendy mods get more press. (and before someone blows a gasket - no, I am not saying that lowering a car/truck is "trendy" or a fad - it's been around since the 30's and it always will be. Now 22" wheels.... that's another story (JUST kidding)....

That's just my 2 cents. I'll be honest - I haven't been much of a fan of lowering - until I came here. Some of the trucks I see on here display some incredible craftsmanship. Some of the static and/or bagged drops I've seen really make the truck look better, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that. But I look at it this way - if I look at a truck and say to myself "self, that truck could not look better with any stance you could think of", then I come to the conclusion that they've done it right.

Personally - and this comes down to personal tastes only, I lean toward the stock or slightly lowered ride heights. I stay away from bags only to save cost because I don't need to go that low - and I do realize that bags generally provide a BETTER ride. But Lakeroadster's comments are ones that have always concerned me too. Heck, I used to have a hard time not draggin my sack in the dirt in my old impala and it had a stock ride height (the issue is that many of the driveway where I live are very steep relative to the street).

Anyhoo, I can understand where 66Z71 is coming from, and he's done so very tactfully by the way - but I guess my bottom line is this:
a) variety is the spice of life
or
b) if it weren't for the bad taste of others, my truck wouldn't look so cool!
(just kidding)
More than anything, I enjoy seeing others' craftmanship, whether that's on a mile high 4x4 or lowered 61 imp with an incredible paintjob and 80wire wire wheels. I'll probably never own either, but I can certainly understand how passionate they may get about their vehicles because I do the same thing with mine. In the end, as long as you think you have good taste yourself, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

Good thread, thanks for posting 66! I'd be interested in seeing if ANYone out there has used bags for a "stock" or only very slightly lowered suspension.....

Last edited by jocko; 02-22-2011 at 10:27 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
hotrod66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevykid65 View Post
Hotrod66. that thing is sick. cant wait to see the final product. id love to sit my truck like that but around here i would caught up on every cattleguard and train track within a 50 mile radius
i don't have a lot of money so it might be little bit before she is done.
i also live in a small town and get caught up on every thing in my 66 (dropped not bagged) that i drive but i am not going to let that stop me.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
chopper john

mine is no bags also . i drive this thing everywhere
Attached Images

chopper john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
Pssst

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod66 View Post
Attachment 703980 not every one has 20 or 22 on there bagged trucks
i have wide whites with steal wheals on my 61 .just trying to do some thing old school with new some new parts ,i hate chrome or billet any thing. its still a hot rod not no dang low rider !
Attachment 703987
and yes that is as tall as she gets .

Love the look. What width are those steelies? Also, what is the tire size?
Pssst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #21
SCOTI

I'm a build it like it's yours kind'a guy.....

Can these truck be built w/o bags & 20+ inch wheels? Sure. Can they still be cool? Definitely. Is that the 'current' trend? Nope. Be that as it may, I'm using bags because they offer a better ride vs. the ride height w/adjustability & old school 15/16" wheels/tires.

Now as mentioned, manufacturers put vehicles in the 'magz' using all these cool, state of the art parts. An air mgt. system alone can eclipse $2K w/the latest technology. I combine the ride quality of air w/old school, zero frills, technolgy. It's still air ride, but there's no electronics other than the juice to run the compressors. My stuff is also set-up w/worst case scenarios in mind. No part of the vehicle will contact the ground in the event of a blowout (bag, airline, or tire).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-23-2011 at 12:08 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
BigCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper john View Post
mine is no bags also . i drive this thing everywhere
This stance is nice, how's does it ride and what all did you do to get it to sit down like this.
Posted via Mobile Device
BigCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #23
chopper john

i cut two turns on the front coils and removed the bump stop and bracket. on the rear is step notched and i used g body springs cut in half,and another half cut out on each. it does surprise me how smooth it is. cant go to fast on L.A. fwys , but once i get out of town its smooth.
chopper john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #24
63redsled

mine doesnt have bags and i like to think that its cool lol
Attached Images

63redsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
thunder71

Thumbs up Re: Can anything cool be built without air bags?

no bags & love the way it rides now
69 C10 shortbed stepside SOLD
71 C10 custom deluxe long fleetside SOLD