The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
65GMCFirstride

looking for a chrome 1965 gmc grille

i am restoring mirst car a 1965 gmc longbed i have allready decided i want to have the chrome bumbers mirrors trim etc.. the only part i am not able to have chrome is the front grille can anyone help me find one or send me a link to a manufacture because i can not find any in good shape
65GMCFirstride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
padresag

Re: looking for a chrome 1965 gmc grille

I think that there was one listed on here the other day for 450.00. might have been an c/l link. you can always get a painted one chromed.
pretty tough to find a good one . I bought one on here not to long ago and by the time I got it home, it was over 300.00 and it looked as if it had been through a bad sand storm at one time. I do have another that is in physically better shape that I should have just gotten re chromed; but we do get stupid at times
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
biohazardbill

I posted the C/L one the other day. I went and looked at it yesterday since the guy still had it when I got back from a long weekend. The chrome was chipping off both the left and right and on the inner radiuses it was very crinkled. Wasnt worth the 350+ shipping he was asking if you ask me due to condition.

After the 5 hour drive and nothing to show for it I have opted to just have mine chromed, probably about the same price.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

GMC grilles in good enough condition to have chromed are about as easy to find as dent and rust free hoods. Many of the grilles I've seen at rod runs that have been replated, probably shouldn't have as many are very wavy. I looked for about 10 years before finding a mint example on eBay a few years ago. I think I paid about $75 for the grille and the same amount for shipping. The bummer was the NOS original that was listed for $35. It was in perfect condition and wearing OEM primer. Like a dope I waited until the last minute to bid and my system crashed! Somebody out there in the world got a brand new grille for $35! American Classic Truck Parts used to sell refurb units for about $500, but I see they are no longer listed, presumably because the supply of decent cores dried up.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GMCFirstride View Post
i am restoring mirst car a 1965 gmc longbed i have allready decided i want to have the chrome bumbers mirrors trim etc.. the only part i am not able to have chrome is the front grille can anyone help me find one or send me a link to a manufacture because i can not find any in good shape

Let me know if you find one or more, I would like to have one also. I do have a painted one in good shape.....but cannot find anyone to chrome it without a 6 month wait........
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
65GMCFirstride

I also was thinking about just painting the grille the same color as the truck but keeping the headlight bezels still chrome the color of my truck will soon be mocha steel metallic, a 2010 gm color. would that be better than spending 300-500 on a chrome grille because of my budget.
65GMCFirstride is offline   Reply With Quote