The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
65 P-30

'89 6 cylinder into a '65, will it work?

Hello again,

I've located an '89 1 ton with a 6 cylinder 4Sp, and I'd like to install the engine, and maybe the trans into a '65 step van that now has a 292 4Sp.
Will this be an easy swap, or are there major changes that will need to be over come?

On another note...
I'm new here, so I'd like to take a moment and provide a little of my history.
As far as the interchangeability of these drive line parts goes, I really should know all of this, and it's a little embarrassing to admit that I no longer do. I was a top notch wrench turner at one time, and knew just what fit in what, but there has been just too many years that have gone by since I've been messing around changing engines from this to that, and to be honest, I haven't a clue what will fit into what any more.
I guess that's what I get for walking away from what was my favorite pastime to concentrate on what the wife said I needed just before I gave up working on cars, and that was "a real job". To this day I do not understand just how someone that's working their butt off is supposed to take that comment.
I can still hear what she said, " You're not making any real money! You're just playing around with those cars! Just like you did with those stupid model cars when you were a kid! Quit screwing around and...wait for it...."get a real job"! ". OUCH! That stung. lol
So...with my limited attention span, I had to give up "playing" with cars, along with a few other interest that were deemed "to much fun".lol Gotta love her though. She kept me on the straight and narrow.
So, fast forward 35 years and here I am, CLUELESS!
The time has come to return to one of the things that I once was very good at, making something outta nothing.
If it was a GM made in the 60's, or early 70's I'm golden. The 80's get kinda iffy, but I'm trying to bone up on the changes.

End of my brief history, thanks for taking the time to read it, and thank you for any information on changing these engines out.
65 P-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: '89 6 cylinder into a '65, will it work?

has the donor truck got a straight or V 6? They changed the inline 6's to an intregrated head in the 70's some time and I don't think they ran as good. I have always liked the 292 and with a little work they ran real strong. Is the old engine and trans that bad they can't be freshened up?
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
BarnFind

The 292 was an option as early as 1963. If you are getting a smokin deal, maybe free, it will work fine. Obviously the newer style is choked down with smog components but, most can be removed. My dad had a few late 80's service trucks with that engine and they all had over 100k mileage. Sean
BarnFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Heater63

We're not clear on what the '89 engine is. Is it a 292 also? The 292 was used one one tons until '88 or '89- is it a 292 with all the crap of the '80s piled on?
You say you already have a 292 in the van. if they are both 292:

The difference between 60 s and 80s 292 is little other than use of HEI ignition (good) and the POS (that's piece of sh#t) integral head/intake, and smog stuff. Use an early head, use the 80's HEI, and a lot of us are using Offy intakes with new Edelbrock 4bbl or Holleys. Add headers, or in the case of a tight fit, the Langdon cast iron headers, and you'll have a good package.
Bell housing pattern never changed, you could use either tranny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
65 P-30

Well... As it turns out, the deal on the '89 isn't going to work out for me.

So this morning I took a look at an '81 C 20 with 80k on the original L 6, 4Sp. My hopes soon faded when the 6 turned out to be a 250. On top of that, it has the same issues as the one I'm trying to replace, no oil pressure and rattling rod bearings.
But I was surprised to see that the '81 didn't have the integrated head. I thought I read somewhere that '79 was the last year a truck was available with out the integrated cylinder head. Was this not the case, or was the head changed?

It did have a nice 2 bbl intake and carb on there.

Oh well, the search continues.

Thanks for the advice.
65 P-30 is offline   Reply With Quote