The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
AirborneC10

1970 C-10 motor and tranny swap

I've got a 1970 C-10 with a crate 350 and a 3 speed on the tree.

The truck needs heads (removed) and a carb. Figure I'd be in about $500 to get it running.

This just came up for sale

Quote:
Runs Good!

Estimated "350" Horsepower!

350 Chevy 4 Bolt Mains, .010/.010 Cast-iron Crankshaft, 9/1 Flat Top Pistons, Cylinders honed with toque plates, all Rods resized, 350hp 327 CI OEM Duplicate Camshaft, Open chamber Cylinder Heads, 1.94/1.5 Polished Valves, Pinned Rocker Arm Studs, Full street Port & Polish, Triple angle valve grind, Weiand 8004 Aluminum Intake, 600 CFM Endelbrock Carb, 74 Chevy pickup Black Jack Headers, 350 Turbo Transmission

This engine has about 30k street miles on it and was never strip ran or dragged. It is in a 74 chev pickup (the truck body is really ragged beyond repair) so I parked it with hopes of putting the engine in something else).

""You have to take the whole truck.""

$800.00 Cash
My question is this: Wht should I do? Replace the heads and carb and run with it? (I have an unidentified oil leak that could be an oil pan or the rear main seal) and I do have throwout bearing noise. Both those would need to be addressed in the future.

Or

Do the entire engine/transmission swap after buying the other truck for $800?

I do not know if the donor truck is a longbed or shortbed (I have a longbed). I figure I would have to have a driveshaft manufactured or purchase one that fits if the donor is a shortbed.

How difficult is this swap to do in a yard (no garage)? Can I use the crossmember from the donor truck in my truck? I assume it just bolts into a different spot or does it need fabrication?

What other things would need to be done? Remember I have the 74 donor truck to pull from if necessary.

And one last one: Is it possible to throw the new engine with the tranny mated up into the hole? I've swapped a motor before but never a combo.

Edit: Donor truck is a longbed.

need to make a decision today. Thanks!

Last edited by AirborneC10; 10-16-2009 at 11:57 AM.
AirborneC10 is offline   Reply With Quote