The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Big Fenders

Front wheel bearings

for my 1960 GMC. Usually I throw out old bearings and replace with new but these are pretty pricy. I see that a tapered roller bearing [outer only] is offered by one distributer. Can tapered bearings be mixed with ball bearings?In other words, ball bearing inner with a tapered bearing outer.
BOB
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Front wheel bearings

Theoretically it should work, but would depend on the O.D. and assembled width of each bearing set, and where the inner race ends up on the spindle. A better and relatively inexpensive solution would be to upgrade to 1962-68 front hubs as indicated in post 5 of the following thread, then you're done with the ball bearings permanently:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...oller+bearings

I was taught how to adjust ball front wheel bearings back in the 50's, and never had any problems with them until I bought my 1960. One of the originals went bad, and was shocked to see the $100 charge per side. When these trucks were new, an inner and outer bearing was about $3. Since they were standard on everything for decades, the cost was held down and quality remained high.

IMO, the new ball bearings are vastly inferior, perhaps made offshore from lower quality materials. I wouldn't have minded the cost so much, except I burned up three complete sets before I had enough and swapped to a 1975 front suspension, specifically to get rid of the ball bearings. Had I known about the 62-68 hubs I'd probably still have torsion bars.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fenders View Post
Can tapered bearings be mixed with ball bearings?In other words, ball bearing inner with a tapered bearing outer.
Not on the same wheel. I did weirder things than that when I was young and fearless and got away with it, but if you are expecting long life out of the bearings, the answer is no.

Here is why: The adjustment procedure is different for ball and tapered bearings. No matter how you do it, the preload will be wrong for one of them. Now if you want to, there is nothing wrong with running different bearings on opposite sides of the truck, as long as both bearings are the same type on any given wheel.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 09-10-2010 at 04:30 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good point. Thanks for the input.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Big Fenders

Thanks for the input guys...right now I'm checking out hubs from 62 to 72 to replace mine. Bearings are a lot cheaper but not sure if what I'm ordering [bearings] are tapered or ball.
Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
raycow

If you order stock bearings for the later hubs they will be tapered. That's the only way they came.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote