The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
dieseltech619

need some help with a pontential purchased

I am going to look at a 67 c-20 327 4-speed, the seller has sent me abunch of pics that i will upload below. He's asking 2k let me know what you guys think

thanks

dieseltech619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: need some help with a pontential purchased

What is your plan with the truck? I say, save your gas. The pictures tell the story for me. I will never buy anything with primer on it for a base coat. It covers a lot of flaws. It looks as it is going to need floor/kick panel and rocker repair. It will probably need cab corners. I would want to know if the inner roof panel is rotted above the windshield. This is only what you can see.

If you want to go out and beat around in it and you are not worried about cosmetics, I think you could do better for 2K.

If you are going for a full or even partial restoration, it will need a lot of metal work.

Just my opinion
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
dieseltech619

plan is swap in a newer front suspension and cross member with disk brakes and 8lug, fix the rot and paint, possibly bag it and then just drive it ... unfortunately everything in my area has rot unless your looking to buy a completely redone truck. I have a guy that works for me that has 30+ years of paint and body experience so any work that needs to be done he would be capable of doing, although you are right it does seem like it will require a lot of work that's one of the reason i was looking for other peoples input ... thank you for yours
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
truckster

The price seems high to me for what's there. There's a LOT of rot, and that's on the parts you can see. I counted four colors on the interior, which probably means several people have had a go at it, so you don't know what you'll find as far as wiring, missing parts, etc.

If it were me, I'd probably be patient and look around.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
71swb4x4

I don't think it's worth more than $1,000. It needs a lot of work. When I look closely at those photos I can see a lot of "hidden" dents. That flat black is hiding a lot.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
OTIS HURTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I don't think it's worth more than $1,000. It needs a lot of work. When I look closely at those photos I can see a lot of "hidden" dents. That flat black is hiding a lot.

agreed
OTIS HURTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Even after you factor in shipping this would be a WAY better deal: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...968-c10&cat=12
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
dieseltech619

i hate flat back for that exact reason, if the exterior matched the interior i would have never changed the color
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
dieseltech619

i have been looking for a few months and in no rush and have looked at a few already, i appreciate everybody's feedback especially in catching things i initially missed
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

My opinion is hang in there and keep on looking, they're still out there. This truck looks really rough for 2 grand...not seeing anything there that would make me giggle about it being anything other than a $6-800 parts truck. I got a 72 swb all original custom deluxe, 350/auto, original paint, pristine bed, needing typical rockers and cab corners for about the same money last summer. Same guy had a 84k mile original 69 lwb 6 cyl 3 speed truck that had a superb body for $1500....so they're still out there.....but leave this one alone.
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
dieseltech619

Ok thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Gokart Mozart

Why don't people clean up their vehicles when they're trying to sell them? This case it does look like they're trying to hide something.
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That is a $500 dollar rust bucket. Everything on it is fixable, and would make a cool ass truck. But not as it sits for 2 grand.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
dieseltech619

Re: need some help with a pontential purchase

thanks for all your advice guys, i decided to pass on that truck and actually start looking outside my area .... check this one out and let me know what you think ... 1970 c10 straight 6 3 on the tree 3k

Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
71swb4x4

Nice looking from 20 feet away. Please have someone closer take a look at it for you. Start a thread on this board asking for someone to take a look. Independent eyes are invaluable in a deal like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
dieseltech619

I actually have business in VA this weekend so i am going to go to just drive down with a trailer just in case and go check out a couple in person but if none pan out as i broaden my search i will definitely do that, thanks for the idea