The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
jstrong394

new guy with a 84 and alot of questions

I recently decided to fix up my grandfathers 84 fleetside shortbed. He was the original owner and about 6 years ago me and my dad started working on it. We got a 305 and trans with about 25k miles on it dropped in and replaced some of the interior. This was my grandfathers daily driver for almost 20 years. My plans are to lower it maybe a 2/4 drop. Replace all the lights and housing new grill either billet or have a oem one painted to match whatever color I decide to paint it. Replace all the gauges. Headers and new exhaust. I want to put new tirs and wheels with big fat tires on the rear. New bumpers to make it more sporty looking new side mirrors and update the interior some. Also any suggestions on anything else or mods to the 305 also best place to order parts. I know its a lot to do but I want to get it to look mean as hell. Not wanting to make this a drag truck but I do want it to look fast. Plus I think it would make my grandfather proud. Also planning on adding a cowl hood. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Posted via Mobile Device
jstrong394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: new guy with a 84 and alot of questions

welcome aboard... id say scrap the 305 and throw in a 350 then modify it.. hey post up some pics

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
jstrong394

I would definietly toss the 305 out if it was worn out but since it only has about 25k miles on it I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the exterior first. It has been sitting up for almost 6 years and I have to put a new stator on it right off the bat. I'd really like to put a nice cam in it and have it lope pretty good at red lights lol. I'll try and get some pictures of it tuesday and get em posted up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
jstrong394

here are a few pictures i got this morning. It has been sitting up for 6 years and the only bad spots are the firewall under the hood and the door jams on the drivers side. Hopefully this want be to much trouble.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
silvereagle07

Welcome! That's the same factory colors my dad has on his project. It looks pretty straight. As far as the engine, the 305 is not going to a power house but it will be reliable. Start by changing the exhaust and go from there. I would loose the bed rails and rear bumper. Replace it with a sport bumper and lower it as much as you want. I like em low. Factory rallyes look good with corvette style trim rings and lower profile/wider tires. Do a search on rallyes and you find some cool looking trucks here. Good luck.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

Welcome! Looks like you've got something solid to work with there, maybe it won't take forever and cost you a fortune.
I think we all thought that when we started. You'll get there!

My Dad's Old Truck

Last edited by 85gmcguy; 05-24-2011 at 05:19 PM.
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
jstrong394

Yeah its pretty straight needs a driver front fender and tailgate. And yes the bed rails are gonna be removed and dispposed of. Where is the best place to get the sport bumpers and mirrios? After seeing the prices of some built 350's around here its very possible the 3t05 will be replaced
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
jstrong394

Got the new starter on today drained the gas and put a new battery in and drove 60 mph all the way home not bad for sitting up 6 years. Now the fun begins
Posted via Mobile Device