The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
restorationboy14

How to drop bellhousing in '69 GMC 292 I6 pickup?

Ok heres the low down, I have a '69 GMC pickup its a 292 inline 6 with a 3 speed engine. It was converted to be on the floor by the previous owner. The tranny and clutch are bad on it so im changin them out right now. Yesterday I got all the bolts out around the bell housing. I counted 6. 2 on the very top , Two in the middle and two on the bottom. Now, I unbolted the mounts from underneath it. But its still not moving. So do I jack up the tranny to see if she'll budge? This is my first build am im 15 so i dont have a whole lot of expirence. But i know the basics lol Id be one lost puppy if this fourm wasnt around. Thanks a million guys!!
restorationboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: How to drop bellhousing in '69 GMC 292 I6 pickup?

Put the 6 bolts back in and tighten them up. Then remove the shifter from the tranny and unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing (4 bolts). Remove the tranny. Be carefull the tranny is heavy (75 pounds). Remove the dust cover off the bottom of the bell and remove the bolts holding the clutch (pressure plate) onto the flywheel. With a bit of manouvering you can slide the clutch assembly out the bottom. Clean everything up, re-surface the flywheel, install a new pilot bearing, slide the new clutch assembly back in and install it. Line up the clutch disc with the dowel you get with your clutch kit.
Put tranny in first gear and slide it back onto the bell.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
SS Tim

If you don't have them download the manuals and study through things in Section 7.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Put the 6 bolts back in and tighten them up. Then remove the shifter from the tranny and unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing (4 bolts). Remove the tranny. Be carefull the tranny is heavy (75 pounds). Remove the dust cover off the bottom of the bell and remove the bolts holding the clutch (pressure plate) onto the flywheel. With a bit of manouvering you can slide the clutch assembly out the bottom. Clean everything up, re-surface the flywheel, install a new pilot bearing, slide the new clutch assembly back in and install it. Line up the clutch disc with the dowel you get with your clutch kit.
Saved me the typing.

Few people can grasp changing a clutch without removing the bell housing. GM engineers weren't fools though. It's a great design.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx firefighter View Post
saved me the typing.

Few people can grasp changing a clutch without removing the bell housing. Gm engineers weren't fools though. It's a great design.
x2
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
restorationboy14

Quote:
My problem is the 2 top bolts on the tranny were a doozy to get out. But the bottom bolts are inside the bellhousing so i tried to get a wrench in ther but it just wont grab it. So I have to drop it off while the tranny is still connected? Or is there a special tool that can get the bottom bolts out? Let me rephrase how thew bolts are put in. So the top ones are put in on the outside or behind the tranny. And the bottom ones are inside the bell housing and the heads are infront of the tranny inside the bell housing. Sorry that wasnt a very good description but i dont know how to explain it. So thats basically my main problem. Thanks so much for the help!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

You didn't mention pulling the hump panel, but it makes it a lot easier. My '68 C/10 came from the factory with a 4-speed SM465 behind a 292 L6. I don't know if there are any shaft-length issues with the swap, but I recommend the bomb-proof 465 4-speed as a replacement -- since you're already using a floor shift. But then if you do get a 465 you will need to either have the bell housing opening enlarged or get a 4-speed bell housing.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
geezer#99

What are you using for a wrench?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
restorationboy14

Quote:
What are you using for a wrench?
I tried a wrench. It slipped twice so I didnt want to risk it. Socket and ratchet or a breaker bar wont fit because theyre to wide. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Tx Firefighter

I'd get up in there and get the two bolt heads real clean so the wrench will seat down well. I do seem to remember it taking a 3/4 inch wrench size. Get them clean, wiggle the wrench down onto them well and turn them out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
geezer#99

IIRC I used one of these. You can buy them seperately.
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...oducts_id=5600
Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
restorationboy14

Holy cow, THANKS GUYS!!!! ok so I have the tranny off now. Heres my other problem! I unbolted ALL the bolts around the bellhousing. So do I just pull it off or do yall recommend to jack it up THEN pull it out??
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Tx Firefighter

Tell us again, why do you want to remove the bell housing ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
restorationboy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Tell us again, why do you want to remove the bell housing ?
Posted via Mobile Device
To replace to clutch and clutch cover. Or am I doing it wrong? Thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re-read This:

Quote:

The bellhousing can stay right in place.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

just did one not to long ago with a friend and he did the same, he said bellhousing stays. why make more work,
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
restorationboy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 View Post
just did one not to long ago with a friend and he did the same, he said bellhousing stays. why make more work,
Alright ....... new personal rule. Dont read fourm awnsers at 3 AM ha ha. Ok so now yet ANOTHER question has come into play....i think my replacement saginaw 3 speed is to new. The spedometer hook up has a electrical hook up instead of the old gear thingy ( whats that called??)has then i looked at the trannys side by side. And the shifting hookups on the old tranny are closer and the new hooks ups are farther. Now the guy i bought it from assured me it was the right one. He had a 67-72 gmc like mine except way better looking and had a 350 and a 5 speed. So now im wondering....Did i get ripped off by this guy? It was 60 bucks and came with a clutch that had less than 250 miles on it. Like i sakd before this truck was converted to 3 on the floor before i got it. Thanks! PS how do you install the lower alternator mount?? THANKS!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
restorationboy14

Ok my main question now is how do you get everything lined up without dropping the bellhousing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Longhorn 70

I HOPE you replaced the pilot bushing just in case.... They are cheap and you'll have to take everything back out if it is bad.

Also replace the throw out bearing with a GOOD quality one. I have replaced with AutoZone parts and they have failed in less than 2 years.

If you have the bell housing in place it's easy. Just keep the pressure plate bolts loose enough to let the disc move around with a little effort. Put the clutch alignment pilot in the splines and make sure it is centered. Then tighten the pressure plate bolts evenly and torque to spec.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote