The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Wood on the cab floor for insulation

Hey guys, I picked up the recent issue of Hotrod, April 2011, and inside they show a project car called 'Impaler'. On page 42 in the middle is a under-construction pic of the interior with wood on the floor.

The captions says the following "The wood is a trick Bryan learned in other hot rod shops. Its adds weight but acts as a great sound deadener and heat insulator. He says 'Top that with Lizard Skin, and this baby is a cool and quiet ride.' "

The question I have is, has anyone ever heard of this? The photo doesn't show crappy OSB sheeting wood either, nor is it MDF. I know that wood is often used in interior construction, I bought a book a few years ago, but this really surprised me.

It really has me thinking about using this because I have a lot of long flat spaces in my 53 panel truck, much more than my wallet could ever afford, or my mind justify, to cover with dynamat, or a competitor. I don't want people jumping in about how great dynamat is or any of the other stuff because it simply doesn't matter how great it is! I have WAY to much square footage to cover.

The second question I have is, if you were to get some of that boat/water plywood, would your really need to even Lizard Skin it?

It just so happens that I have access to some Lizard Skin that would do the job, a friend bought WAY to much! So I was gonna buy it off him anyway but if I could use that for the walls and roof and firewall and then skip the floor that would great

Third question I have is, the photo doesn't show any kind of fasteners holding the stuff down or in place. Would you need to hold it in place some how, glue maybe, or could you get away with just the seats and carpet keeping it in place.

Thoughts?

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
oldcarfart

Re: Wood on the cab floor for insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
Hey guys, I picked up the recent issue of Hotrod, April 2011, and inside they show a project car called 'Impaler'. On page 42 in the middle is a under-construction pic of the interior with wood on the floor.

The captions says the following "The wood is a trick Bryan learned in other hot rod shops. Its adds weight but acts as a great sound deadener and heat insulator. He says 'Top that with Lizard Skin, and this baby is a cool and quiet ride.' "

The question I have is, has anyone ever heard of this? The photo doesn't show crappy OSB sheeting wood either, nor is it MDF. I know that wood is often used in interior construction, I bought a book a few years ago, but this really surprised me.

It really has me thinking about using this because I have a lot of long flat spaces in my 53 panel truck, much more than my wallet could ever afford, or my mind justify, to cover with dynamat, or a competitor. I don't want people jumping in about how great dynamat is or any of the other stuff because it simply doesn't matter how great it is! I have WAY to much square footage to cover.

The second question I have is, if you were to get some of that boat/water plywood, would your really need to even Lizard Skin it?

It just so happens that I have access to some Lizard Skin that would do the job, a friend bought WAY to much! So I was gonna buy it off him anyway but if I could use that for the walls and roof and firewall and then skip the floor that would great

Third question I have is, the photo doesn't show any kind of fasteners holding the stuff down or in place. Would you need to hold it in place some how, glue maybe, or could you get away with just the seats and carpet keeping it in place.

Thoughts?

-Panelrodder
I have never used wood, but I wood (sic) think marine grade not pressure treated because of chemicals, and glued down with HD contact cement (3M #77??).

I worked for a company that had a uni-body project, we filled floor with 1" of epoxy, tightend vehicle up like you would not believe but defineately not cheap!
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

I agree on the Marine grade, that is the term I was trying to get but had a mental block!

I found the image I was refering too on the Hotrod website.

Once concern I have with gluing the wood down is the need in the future to remove it.... that would be pretty messy and difficult I would guess. Or maybe not? I'm guessing you wouldn't need a permanent bond just something strong enough to keep it from moving. Thoughts?

Here is the link to full write up on the car. Amazing craftsmanship! http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...ler/index.html

Last edited by panelrodder81; 02-24-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added a link to the full article
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Its been done on alot of car stereo competition cars for a long time. Creates a really solid base and sound insulator, but most have strayed away from it for various reasons. A liberal application of dynamat will do the job just as well IMO and you won't have to worry about any expansion/contraction issues that may arise, if the floor ever starts to buckle or buldge, and of course, the mess of removing it if necessary.

Wood is much more dynamic than metal and the fewer differences in materials, the better. It eliminates potential problems later on.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
MrDude_1

while im not fond of the idea.. for what its worth, the floors of all 97-current corvettes is a composite made of fiberglass and balsa wood.. very light, quiet, and insulates well.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Looks like regular pressure treated plywood to me. If it is in the car, out of the elements no need to spend the extra money for marine grade.

The biggest advantage of the wood is it's mass helps to deaden the large metal panel acoustics.

I am betting they pull the plywood out, lizard skin the steel floor panels, throw the wood back in and then lay down the carpet.

No reason I can think of that the wood will be a problem. I have wood floor boards in my Model T with a rubber mat thrown on it. Works great.

The KISS principle: Keep It Simple ......"
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Pop's C-10

I seen that article to & it has me thinking about doing it to my square..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Indian113

when I bought my Model A it had a wood floor,I'm welding in a metal floor now but I may put wood down under my carpet. The Firewall is gonna get it for sure because of heat and Noise.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

I guess it isn't that big of a shock to see it used like this considering how much of really old cars were made of wood. The panel truck had a wood floor in it when it was new so putting wood back in it really isn't that big of a shock! I can see the expansion and contraction side but I'm not sure that it would be enough for me to worry about. Plus, if I was worried about moisture I could always take the panels out when they were cut to fit and oil paint, Kilz oil based maybe, all sides to seal them before putting them back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
when I bought my Model A it had a wood floor,I'm welding in a metal floor now but I may put wood down under my carpet. The Firewall is gonna get it for sure because of heat and Noise.
How would you hold the wood to the firewall Indian? For the floor pieces I'm thinking I just need something to keep it from moving, not keep it on there through the apocalypse! Because of that I kind of though that windshield glue or even just seam sealer might work well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
The KISS principle: Keep It Simple ......"
EXACTLY! But also 'Keep it reasonably priced for people with more than a regular cab to cover'. (KIRPFPWMTARCTC?) Hahaha!

-Panelrodder
Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Indian113

[QUOTE=
How would you hold the wood to the firewall Indian?
[/QUOTE]

I thought I would use some gorilla glue,haven't got the floor welded in yet. I have to get some metal cut and weld in my recessed firewall first. I wasn't going to glue it solid just some spots to keep it from moving around tat and the carpet pad ought to do the trick. I hope!!!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Gorilla Glue sounds like a great option actually! I have some juke padding on my firewall right now but I might just have to change that!

This actually opens up a huge new world for me now since I simply can't aford a "liberal" or even conservative coating of dynamat. Its agreat product I'm sure but it is just not an option because of cost. Plus I could use it as an excuse to build the other interior structures I wanted!

Thanks for the motivation!

-Panelrodder
Posted via Mobile Device